Thinkfags

why are thinkpads so popular on Sup Forums every other thread is about a thinkpad. whats so good about thinkpads that reigns them superior to other laptops?

Memes

they are made for professional work :D

Libreboot support.
Any thinkpads thats newer than XX20 is just memes.

Let me see

Aluminum build
Don't look like casual shit
Have a cool track pad and track point
Slim and doesn't overheat

but why a thinkpad tho. any other laptop is capable of professional work or am i wrong of this. are thinkpads the only devices that can be used for such activity?

>obviously never used a ThinkPad
>never experienced nirvana
>never be enlightened
Good going OP.
Easy to buy high quality for low price with any t-model.
Easy to repair, upgrade, become sentient
It whispers to you from the dark void urging you to install gentoo
Listen to the whispers from beyond user.
Become god.

no fuck you ill keep using my fx 8350 aka mini space heater and my gtx 980. fuck you faggots.

Embrace the darkness user. Feel the sleek design at you finger tips and shoot up an apple store user

i can shoot up an apple store at any moment while i use my enthoo pro m as body armour

because they are legit really good laptops in my experience. I used to have a T430. Dropped it from waist height more than once with no damage. The build quality is sublime, the keyboard was perfect, it has that clit mouse thing (not everyone likes those but I do), perfect size/weight, excellent battery life, no thermal issues.

Ultimately it's probably a meme to some degree (isn't everything on Sup Forums?) but I can tell you that my next laptop will be a thinkpad again. Nothing else I've used compares in terms of build quality, durability, and usability.

thanks user for the non bullshit response.

First started using Thinkpads at work. One of the few laptops I've used that didn't feel like a cheap toy. I know there are others, but Thinkpads are what I'm used to. Yes, they are a meme on Sup Forums, but there are legitimate reasons to favor them.

thinkpad is the ONLY laptop brand worth a shit outside of apple and we can't be seen with apple products

ThinkPad is not a brand

but it is?

Dell Latitude is also fine.
But yeah, Thinkpads are still the best.

they like the red plastic button on the keyboard

uguu~

They're mostly made by advertisers and paid shills. It's obvious now, since it was discovered that the BIOS is backdoored to allow arbitrary code execution.

They dont break after a year of usage

fuck off shill

they probably stick the little num into their penis hole and get off to that shit.

one word: anime

You're a moron.

HP and dell business laptops are good, too

How much does the NSA pay you, Rajesh? Don't make me call your supervisor.

depends what they have inside

When they say it's made for professional work, they mean it's durable and has long battery life, so it's ready for travel, and it has plenty of ports than many modern laptops don't have(vga, Ethernet, several USB, etc.)

Theyre ultimate price to performance to lifespan.

Heres the cycle:
>business buys shitloads of new thinkpads
>uses them for 3-4 years
>takes out HDD and sells them in bulk to resellers
>resellers sell them on ebay for next to nothing beacause they have so many
>decent 4 year old laptops with good specs all over ebay
>1300$ t420 with an i5, 4gb of ram, 500gb hdd and a nvidia 4200m
>... is now about 200$
>or an i7, 8gb of ram and 256gb ssd for 240$

>maxed out T42's for 60$
>fucking R30's can still be used as shitposting machines for 20-30$
>T60/61's considered the best thinkpad of all time, can have 8gb of ram

New ones are for professionals, used ones are for Sup Forums. Which is the whole point of them, they fit on the autismbux budget and provide really good performance for their age and cost.

Ive had my T42 since i bought it in 2004 for nearly 2 grand, i spent nearly 900$ getting 2gb of ram and a 2.1ghz pentium M for it, when i moved to an SSD when the tech was new a 32gb ssd cost me nearly 400$ more

and now you can buy them maxed out with 120gb ssds for like 60-100$.

Five cute facts about thinkpads:
- They're cheap
- They're reliable
- I can install GNU/Linux on them
- Thinkpads!!!!!!

Dell latitudes and hp elitebooks are popular too as used laptops
Thinkpad has better gahnoo/looonux support I think

>going below t60
>t60 with 8GB RAM
>using gma950 and core duo in 2016
you wish

Dis

Lats and Elitebooks are fine but there's more aftermarket support for thinkies

They're cheap, durable, reliable, and you can get high specs for crazy low money.

t42 is still breddy gud, same with the x40/41
t60 can have 8gb of ram if you replace the mobo with one from a t61

the t42 has a 32,64 or 128mb dedicated gpu, but yeah the t60's integrated graphics suck balls

Why ThinkPad? (also applies to other business laptops)
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap.
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet.
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels.
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models.
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop.
>Easy to repair, upgrade and maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model. Spare parts are easy and cheap to obtain.
>The best trackpoint (that red thing in the middle of the keyboard). Great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad.
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support.

You should visit newfaggot

Bruh the hp elitebooks and dell xps series are also good. thinkpads just have better reputation being originally designed by ibm

I have a T61 with nvidia graphics as "classic modern" gaming machine" (1998-2006), I wouldn't use them as a daily machine, it's way to old. Nowadays I use a T420s but I've got a T450s coming in the mail, got it for $500

Because Sup Forums is full of people who get self confidence from trying to impress others by showing how much they know about tech, even though ThinkPads have some of the worst screens on contemporary laptops. My T410's screen was 6-bit TN with STATIC dithering. My X220's stock screen didn't have any angle where it looked usable, and even the IPS screen clearly had lower saturation compared to my rMBP.

But it's not

Screen quality isn't really a priority if all you're doing is coding though. That's what most of us use them for.

> (OP)
>Why ThinkPad? (also applies to other business laptops)
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet.
That hasn't been true for a decade now. 2010s ThinkPad keyboards flex and are made of cheap plastic that WILL develop shiny spots in a matter of months.
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap.
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels.
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models.
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop.
>Easy to repair, upgrade and maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model. Spare parts are easy and cheap to obtain.
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support.
In that case you're better off getting an HP or Dell business laptop. They have all the good aspects listed while not having worthless screens or flexible keyboards

Modern Thinkpads do have nice screens though.
>muh nits
>muh anti-glare

Most other higher-end modern laptops have glossy garbage.

I'm building a low end budget pc for my uncle and I dunno how much of a difference would be between a Celeron J1800 and a I5-2520M. As far as I know, desktop cpus tend to be faster because they can allow themselves to release more heat and consume more energy.
What should I do? Should I build a desktop with that CPU or just get a thinkpad with the other processor?

Meanwhile these same people are buying IPS displays for their ThinkPads.

>Modern Thinkpads do have nice screens though.
No, they really don't. Unless you mean the most recent ThinkPads from the past year or two. I wouldn't be surprised if they were still trash. Stop defending garbage just because Sup Forums says to. You look like a tool to anyone who has compared a ThinkPad screen to a real screen.

>2010s ThinkPad keyboards flex and are made of cheap plastic

My T460p keyboard doesn't flex.

And cheap plastic? Mechanical keyboards have cheap plastic caps, the fuck else do you want them to make them from?

>Unless you mean the most recent ThinkPads from the past year or two.

Yes.
I have a X250 and a T460p - both have excellent screens.

>Pajeet is countermemeing
Shills are improving

Whatever plastic my model M and rMBP use. I'm guessing ABS.

My T520, T410, T60, T61 and X220 all had the cheap plastic, and the only keyboards that didn't flex were the T60 and T61.

I can't speak for them then. I stopped falling for the ThinkPad meme a while ago.

I'm building a low end budget pc for my uncle and I dunno how much of a difference would be between a Celeron J1800 and a I5-2520M. As far as I know, desktop cpus tend to be faster because they can allow themselves to release more heat and consume more energy.
What should I do? Should I build a desktop with that CPU or just get a thinkpad with the other processor?

It's a meme

I love my X220 but the batteries are expensive as hell

Thinkpads (at least the older, popular, non-botnet models) fall in the same vein as mechanical keyboards. People who own them tend to love them, and they're constantly being put up for sale and repurchased so there's a thriving market around them. They're solid machines, so there's no reason for the hype around them to die out.

Are you a poser? Get a Mac.
Are you completely apathetic? Get whatever.
Are you looking for absolute fucking nirvana as this guy said ?

Dont all the T4x have problems with flexing

Tbqh it's kinda a meme any self respecting business usually will be using either Dell precision or Dell Latitudes this is because Dell works better with larger businesses than lenovo, and they have tpm chips in most of their inexpensive business class laptops. And most startups use Macs.

That's not too say it isn't a good machine btw

yeah that's pretty fucking bad

all laptops are shit basically, macbook pros are only accepted because a dev can plug it into a thunderbolt dock and use it for a daily driver. everything else is complete chinese shit.

>modular to an extend
>Insanely durable
>very customizable
>Long battery life
>really good keyboard for a laptop
>Trackpoint is awesome and you can even manually disable the trackpad by simply just pulling out the cord for it

It is amazing. I've had my W520 for almost 5 years now and it hasn't even had a single hickup.
I've even bought a 2.5" Ultrabay adapter so that I can have a 500GB HDD together with my 128GB SSD. I use it for coding, travel work, email work stuff and very light gaming.
The W520 has a Quadro 1000M GPU, which is not the best, but it certainly isn't the worst.
>can it run crysis
Actually haven't tried, but that's not why you use it.

Seriously. It's like a swiss army knife for laptops. It's an incredbly well made machine and "it just works"

too bad lenovo stopped making good ones and nobody wants a shitty refurb that's beat to shit.

enjoy your island keyboard and trackpad gestures kiddo.

No probs poser.

> buying an inferior laptop because you want to look like you know anything
Embarrassing, desu

no, those were the r5x's that had that issue
the t4x's has problems with the gpu cracking

Thinkpads are slow and overpriced

build quality mang. been using thinkpads since the 90's.

>batteries are expensive as hell
Don't buy Lenovo brand, buy Yanec.

why? Aren't off brands bad?

>Aren't off brands bad?
no.
1st parties overcharge hugely on things like batteries.
And Yanec even offers more warranty (2 years vs. just 1 year)

Stinky chinkies backdooring shit is nothing new

after IBM sold the name I always preferred NEC laptops they actually have very good keyboards and the build quality makes lenovo look bad

x61 is just such a brilliant portable netbook, best screen ratio, perfect size, tough, amazing keyboard, cheap, repairable and upgradable.

Here here user
You will feel your soul lighten and you achieve your planar form. Your spirit animal will be your guide OP. Let it guide you.

Off brands don't last anywhere near as long though

Have fun with your exploding chinkshit that dies after 1 hour

>In that case you're better off getting an HP or Dell business laptop. They have all the good aspects listed while not having worthless screens or flexible keyboards
Nah, they're the exact same deal where they 'upgraded' to shitty 6-row chiclet keyboards about the same time they started having decent widescreen panels

Thinkpads are fine but Sup Forums is full of autist neets that don't understand that some people have more than 200 bucks to spend on a laptop and they don't want a shitty resolution and having to clean cum stains off the keyboard.

Reminder that the International Space Station uses Thinkpads.

r-rude

>Screen quality is not a priority with a device that requires you to look at the screen all the time. I'd take a better screen over "muh flex and modular laptop" any fucking day. Desktop at home + portable laptop with nice screen and at least 1440 res.

Actually they switched to HP Zbook 15s.