/hpg/ - Headphone General

-- PLEASE USE THIS FORM TO GET PURCHASE ADVICE --

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/hjHkKDyM

Asking "Hey guys, what's your opinion on x?" is frowned upon.
Wireless is frowned upon.
Headset requests are frowned upon.
Noise isolation ≠ Noise cancellation
If you dislike a suggestion, try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked instead of going "hurr, x sucks"

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Last Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/he-400i.601/page-2#post-22500
kenrockwell.com/audio/akg/k702.htm
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReplayGain#Alternatives
ebay.com/itm/111862866157
ebay.com/itm/301901483456
youtube.com/watch?v=R55JUpfyPeg
youtube.com/watch?v=mUyeytIimIM
youtube.com/watch?v=HUSwkbu1IjU
youtube.com/watch?v=PEmqJBcQ2lg
youtube.com/watch?v=aYYRKW8_pFM
youtube.com/watch?v=jVUG6ewo_J4
soundcloud.com/sonsofpythagoras/xxl007-07-call-to-harm
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

E N D G A M E

N

D

G

A

M

E

Been wearing my glasses more; hurts with my circumaural headphones. Nonjanky solutions?

audio technica or akg cups sit very lightly on the head

£150-£600

UK

Mounted 65" television from about eight feet away

Full-size

Closed

Preferably very comfortable, something that I can wear for around 3 hours and not be bothered by

Movies (substitute for surround sound)

Currently using Sennheiser HD25, which are great for portable music and watching stuff from my PC, but don't have a long-enough cord and likely wouldn't produce the theater-like effect I'm after

Past purchases:
>Beyerdynamic DT770
Really enjoyed using these for music on my PC, but never got around to trying them on movies before they crapped out after a week from being second hand ("cosmetic imperfection" my ass)
>Sony MDR-V55
Not as loud as the HD25, but used these for the same sort of stuff for about a year until I wore them out, and was very satisfied.
>Sennheiser HD201
Went through a couple pairs of these because hey, £20 makes everything sound better.

Use on ears or IEMs?

>long-enough cord
Get an extension cord or a wireless adapter if your TV supports it.

>a statement that is not connected in a logical or clear way to anything said before it
The only way to get that is with a speaker system.

Looking for a pair of headphones for public use on transit/at school. Reason for the low budget is I bought a pair of SR80's and am feeling the sting of buyer's regret.
>Budget
$50-$100 CAD ($40-$75 eaglebucks). I can flex this a bit, but would obviously prefer not to.
>Location
Toronto.
>Source
Just my S4 or my shitty laptop.
>Preferred type of headphone
Over-ear definitely. On-ears and IEMs give me headaches.
>Open or closed
Closed.
>Comfort level
I'd prefer comfy over not, but I find most headphones feel alright after I break them in a bit.
>Preferred tonal balance
Flat. The flatter the better.
>Preferred music
I listen to a bit of everything, from post-rock to electro and classical.
>Past headphones
-Sennheiser HD 438: Comfy and cheap, I didn't feel like the lows were overwhelming but the low end hit pretty lamely.
-Superlux HD 661: Decent clarity for the price, low end was very punchy when you boosted it a bit. They were uncomfortable as fuck and gave me constant headaches. Extremely unwieldy for public use. I still own these, but would prefer not to use them.

akg 702, k712 and x2's have been fine with my glasses.

I don't understand why would you even use headphones with large ass TV.

Get good monitors and enjoy whole new level of sound

>I don't understand why would you even use headphones with large ass TV.
There are various reasons. One is that some people live in apartments with thin walls.

The apartment I live in has thin walls and about three sets of neighbours I could disturb with having a big-ass surround sound (as demonstrated by the neighbour above me who often plays music and lets me pick up on every bass line). Thought a good pair of headphones would be the next best thing.

Go to war.

See who will yield like a bitch and call police first.

>Budget
250 USD
>Location
Mootxico
>Source
Fiio E10K
Over Ear
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Very Comfy
>Preferred tonal balance
V shaped
>Preferred music
Glitch Hop, Instrumental, Metal
>Past headphones
Cloud II

Don't fear the richness

I don't, I despise them and their build quality+clamp

I have a large head, no clamp at all. I forget im wearing them and can wear them all day.

No clue how these could be uncomfy.

Also, i've dropped them over a dozen times, still going strong.

>tfw your cat eats your IEM's
>2 pairs in two nights

Fair enough, I have a big head too and they felt very tight when I tried them but maybe they loosen up over time.

That's why you get a doge m8, cats are fucking gay and disgusting on every level.

Literally old woman: the animal

$50-$70, not firm
USA
PC/Phone
Gaming, needs microphone
Closed
High Comfort
Metal/Rock

>maybe they loosen up over time.
They definitely loosen up over time.

Maybe there's a reason why every IEM comes with a carrying case.

Philips A5PRO/00 or ATH-M40X?

They are at the same price.

How do the Samson 850 and Superlux 688b comare to the k240 in terms of sound quality?

~$60 max
USA
Fiio E10k
Open
Not that worried about comfort
As close to neutral as possible
Classical/jazz/rock/etc

I can get a nice deal on a FiioX3 and FiioQ1 combo, should I?
I'd be upgrading from an iPod Touch 6 I can sell to recoup about half of what I'll be paying for the combo.
I'm only interested if it's worth upgrading though.

JUST DIE YOU STUPID FUCKING WEABOO

You guys are the best; thanks for all the detailed comments and feedback

I've been curious about the hd600 too, but also expecting to not like the sound. I've tried the 598, admittedly a step down, but anyway didn't like it.

also please don't literally cuck them, there are properly other girlfriends to fuck.

The he400i was revised to have the backplate removed; see for instance
superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/he-400i.601/page-2#post-22500
IMO a big change but again I don't know of reviews before and after the change

Thanks for pointing out the diminishing returns above k700, hd650, dt880; I can pay more for headphones but would feel like an idiot paying more than makes sense, especially with excellent cheaper options. Also I don't see any reason why the more expensive ones aren't worse in some cases, which can be true of any commodities.

I did post responses to the recommendation questionnaire, and the main suggestions were hd600 and k702 since I wanted high accuracy. What makes me worried about hd600 are my trials of similar models and not liking them. What worries me about k702 is I tried the k7xx and thought it was absolute dogshit, not just for the bass but also for the muddled midrange. Part of the problem is that I compared them side by side with k550, which have a midrange spike, but I happen to like midrange so I probably should have EQ'd to do a proper test. Even so, it's hard for me to imagine the k702 sounding good if it's just k7xx with different pads and bass.

I was curious about the he400i since it seems to still be accurate, but is quite different from any headphones I have owned; I'm just kindof curious and willing to experiment. But overall reviews seem to stress their bass properties, and also point out certain flaws in higher registers, whereas k702 don't seem to have many flaws discussed.

Anyway, shit be difficult

Depends on how nice the deal is. The X3ii is already enough on its own so you won't need the Q1. It can be nice if you want an analog pot, though. You can probably also connect the Q1 to your phone but that means silicone bands would be covering your screen and just extra bulk to carry in general when you already have the X3ii.

If you've been here long enough, you should already be used to it.

I plan on using the Q1 on my PC, since it's a crappy laptop with built in audio card. I think the X3 ought to be enough for regular use and the Q1 would go on my laptop.
How well does the X3 perform as a media player, and would I notice any quality differences compared to my iPod Touch 6?

>k550, which have a midrange spike
K550 don't have a "midrange spike". you were ether testing a faulty unit or you failed to identify what counts as the midrange.
>k702 don't seem to have many flaws discussed.
lacking subbass, bloated upper bass and lower mids, harsh treble between 2-3 kHz and 5-10 kHz

As far as how much better, very little if any. The interface isn't that great, either.
However, it does have more power. I was able to push Ether, 400i, HD600 etc with lots of steps left.

Overall, I think you would be better off just keeping the iPod and getting a dedicated desktop amp/DAC with the same money.

Apologies, you are definitely right about the k550s, at least officially; I just double checked with innerfidelity's measurements. Mine definitely have a frequency bump there, though, and other aspects of them disagree with what I read online. I think they were tweaked a lot throughout their existence; mine are of the first batch.

About the k702, I thought people found them very neutral?
kenrockwell.com/audio/akg/k702.htm
When did you try them? That review for instance had austrian versions, but afaik akg is moving all manufacturing elsewhere. I just don't trust akg after the disastrous k7xx I tried.

>About the k702, I thought people found them very neutral?
depends on the unit i guess. they do seem to have suspicious quality control nowadays.
the lack of subbass is pretty much guaranteed.

Are the HE-400S and HE-400i the same driver?
Not that I'm buying a HiFiMAN product.
I own the old HE-400i model and I feel cucked.

>Budget
$50 - $75, am flexible.
>Location
US
>Source
PC
Full-sized
>Open or closed
Closed please.
>Comfort level
Not my top priority, but I would like some comfiness.
>Preferred music
Classical to polyphonic to electronic experimental to just plain weird and wobbly. No confines and no one taste, really.

pls to help

Is there a program or extension that can automatically adjust volume so that everything is roughly the same loudness? (normalize?)
I'm tired of having to adjust my volume all the time since there doesn't seem to be any standard level anywhere.

I'm on windows (7), though something for android might also be nice.

Alright Sup Forumsentoomen since I don't think Sup Forums wants to help me with this, I'm gonna try asking here.

I Just got a vintage turntable and am trying to get a half decent preamp + Amp + speakers set up. What would be a good budget preamp to get going with vinyl?

fb2k has a built-in ReplayGain feature.
if that doesn't suit you, check those instead: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReplayGain#Alternatives

> Burn in
> On a cable

Audiophiles are in the 40+ demographic right? Is it safe to say that they'll literally die out in the near future?

Sell me on a decent pair of IEMs. I have two full sized headphones but I want some IEMs on the cheap side so I can wear when I'm in niggertown niggervile. Something with low profile and I won't miss much if it's stolen but sounds good.
I was looking at the Shure SE215, looks decent enough and has great reviews for a 100$ pair of IEMs

Best IEMs around the $100 price range is the MA750

etymotic hf5

Thoughts on Grado headphones? Is the "made in US" a meme or do they actually sound good?

Grados belong in the trash. Porta Pros are cheaper and better.

Grados provide a lot of clarity and an exciting sound. But because of hardcore objectivists and its retro styling it gets shouted down anytime it is discussed.

Inexpensive $30 or less
portable
over or on-ear

Bit late on the comment train but here's my opinion. God I remember when I first got into this hobby.

I've tried a lot of flagships and popular headphones personally, aside from the most batshit offerings like the Abyss, SR-009 etc. Trying models out for yourself is the consistently accurate method. Not only can reviews be vastly different from one another, and even then not guaranteed to fall in line with your views, they're also not all-encompassing and can leave out potentially vital information. For example everyone loves the HE-400i's energetic mids or whatever, right? But how many people mention its strange treble texture? That one quality ruined the entire headphone for me (still a pretty good headphone overall). If you read reviews AFTER you listen to headphones, it skews your understanding because your mind fills in the gap with knowledge you now have.

Another thing is that trying more headphones makes your impressions more accurate. I know it sounds obvious, but an example would be that although I used to think the HD600 was neutral, trying more headphones made me realize that it was actually quite mid focused with slightly recessed but good quality bass/treble.

Lastly, more expensive headphones are noticeably better sounding. It's probably just a Sup Forums thing but people love to preach bullshit without having personal experience. Is a $1200 headphone 3x as good as a $400 headphone? I'm not sure how you'd measure that kind of thing, but 99% it won't be. But are they the same? Are the improvements slight or imperceptible? Fuck no. Any highly acclaimed headphone is going to be such for a reason. Whether you feel comfortable spending that amount is another story.

Don't just buy dozens of headphones unless you're wealthy or you REALLY love the hobby. I think certain models are very good at helping you figure out what sound you like though, e.g. HD600/650/800, 400i and LCD-2. You might like the T1 actually, you can get one for cheap used.

I repent for doubting you O exalted EQ gods. A simple treble boost has saved my LCD-2 from the trash bin.

New SHIT Modi 2 Uber AK4490 better than JDS Labs ODAC finally? They updated the old AK4396 DAC and they're shipping them with 4490s.

I thought I liked the xba but they really need the amp dac to open up and it removes the purpose of them in the first place which is the portability. Even with it they can't come close to the 990 in detail and clarity though

Hey, thanks so much for the comment. I really like everything you said, especially the bit about trying more headsets to get a sense of others. E.g., how do you know you like the color blue, if you only know shades of blue? What does blue even mean in that case?

I actually have no problem getting the more expensive flagships, and have been considering the Beyerdynamic T1s. (For instance, the first revision is still available, new, for $700 on amazon; by contrast, the second revision is $1000.) The main issue for me however is that it simply makes me feel ill to spend that much money if, say, the k702 is close in quality. (I have the money, but try in all ways to be frugal in life. But I love music, so permit myself some excess.)

Also, receiving and returning or re-selling headphones takes time and annoys the hell out of me. So every few years I get another pair of cans, and it's nice to have some variety, thus I was considering the 400i. But honestly everything I've read makes it seem I should get the k702.

As for trying the headphones, it doesn't seem feasible for me to try them in a store; I don't want to be harassed if I leave without a purchase, also I need quite some time for my ears to adjust and understand new aspects of the headset, rather than just checking a list of things I already know I like. But that invariably means returns, re-selling, etc. Any suggestions?

Thanks again for the standpoint. I disagree so much with most of what I read online that it really resonates with me.

how is your experience with used headphones? are the k702 well made?

add 5 buck plus tax and get the mdr 7506 use bass boost or EQ to get more bass if you feel like you need it

What is the reason why you choose K702? Why not HD600 / HD650? If you still want K702s you just need new pads but what if it has the bumps on the K702 headband?

I have HD600, DT880, K702 and HD600 is what everyone should own. K702s and DT880s are just different.

>sub bass

can you source me a song with lots of sub bass please, i need to make a test on with EQ Apo

Not that user but any organ music should test your sub-bass.

im looking at an used pair of k702, 100 usd very tempting, in my country the HD 600 are very expensive, if i want new the DT 880 are the cheapest but still 200 usd

Oh, Okay. Can you ask them to lower the price even more? I think you can wait for a brand new K702 for around $150 USD if there is a sale somewhere. Ask for a lower price for that used K702 for $80.

thanks sempai

let me try, i will need an amp right? which one would do great?

JDS Labs Objective 2 if you can also get that used.

Here's a example of a brand new K702.
ebay.com/itm/111862866157

Woops wrong one.
ebay.com/itm/301901483456

Or Fiio E10K.

I quite dislike the HD 518/558/598, but find the 600/650 default response tolerable. I wouldn't call them dramatically different, but opinions don't hold through a line as broad as Sennheiser's.

K550 impressions can be hard to pin down, and measurements can offer a bit of insight here.
It seems fairly well known at this point that the K550 line has sealing issues. The padding isn't the most helpful, but even a small amount of leakage causes a dramatic loss of bass, up to 20 dB on one person.

HE-400i, like most planar headphones, lack broad midbass boosts that their coiled counterparts tend to have. They have a fairly extended and flat bass to go with it. Even with so many planar dynamics having those similar points of flatness, they rarely are flat tuned overall. 400i has a trough from the midrange (~1 kHz) up to the high treble peak (8-10 kHz) it has.

400i and 400S are more than a little different. The drivers have at least a few differences, different impedance and damping/compliance ratio.

Sorry for the late reply. I respect the frugality. I try not to be lavish either but the way I see it a good headphone scales off all of your music as well and should last you a long time if you take good care of it.

I used to own the HD800, but since I don't only listen to the most immaculate feats of sonic engineering I couldn't stand them anymore. What's the point if only 20% of my library sounds incredible on them? I got the T1 to replace them and I really like it even though it's pretty bright. It's high quality treble regardless and personally I just EQ it down a bit. Don't get them if you're sensitive to that kind of thing, though. I haven't tried the 2nd gen but to my understanding they're nothing spectacular.

I feel like any decent merchant should be supportive of the customer's needs even if it doesn't lead to an immediate transaction, but if you think you'd get better results at home then you should definitely do that instead. I know the other user recommended Amazon but I don't know how their return policy works exactly. The Cable Company has a headphone lending service that lets you try different models in exchange for 5% of their cost (it's deposited toward future business you do with them but keep in mind they sell at MSRP unlike Amazon etc). Sadly I don't think they have the K702. Also with something like the 400i, you can easily buy it for $300 when it goes on sale and resell it on head-fi or whatever for $300 so long as you keep it in good condition. This can't be guaranteed for all models obviously.

cont'd, jesus I'm talking a lot

I've only resold 3-4 times so I don't have much experience, but obviously used headphones will vary wildly in quality. One of the headphones I bought used was over 3 years old and looked absolutely flawless when I got it, whereas a 1 year old headphone was congested with wax, pet hair and tobacco smoke. Pretty fucking nasty, but I couldn't complain because I got it at a huge discount.

I know none of this is very helpful to you. I'd just try to find the K702 in a brick and mortar shop and audition it there or buy and return. Maybe just pay the $270 if you can't stand the curiosity? And again I do recommend at least trying the HD600 if you ever get the opportunity, I first got them because I thought the HD598 was boring and not clear enough. They're one of 3 headphones I still own, although it's mostly out of sentimentality.

Come on dude, just get it if you see a pair for $100. Unless it's horribly deformed you can resell it for just as much. It's worth discovering if you like it or not.

400i is warmer/darker than HD600

>Budget
$300 for headphones and dac/amp thing if needed
>Location
US
>Source
Onboard soundcard, or whatever is recommended
Over ear
>Open or closed
Closed, open to open if there's something dope
>Comfort level
I don't care much. I wear them several hours daily though.
>Preferred tonal balance
Some bass. M50ish is what I'm used to.
>Preferred music
Synthpop, electropop, dream pop, indie pop, kpop, lo-fi pop (everything is pop...), shoegaze, alt. r&b, trip hop, trap rap, witch house, and the occasional indie art-ish rock à la st. vincent
>Examples:
youtube.com/watch?v=R55JUpfyPeg
youtube.com/watch?v=mUyeytIimIM
youtube.com/watch?v=HUSwkbu1IjU
youtube.com/watch?v=PEmqJBcQ2lg
youtube.com/watch?v=aYYRKW8_pFM
>Past headphones
I've had M50s for three years now, but some plastic broke after light pulling over time. Getting a better system when I get new cans to prevent this...

DT770s seem like something I want from my uneducated research, tell me what to do pls

I've heard the K701 and K702 are kind of bright, and the Q701, K7xx, and K712 supposedly have a bit of a bass boost compared to those. Which AKGs are actually the most neutral?

Get DT770 if you want a ton of bass, Fidelio X2 for slightly less bass but overall better sound

>diminishing returns
The value goes down from the very cheapest sets, and idea of value is the most subjective and personal term of all.
If you pick the right headphones, they do deliver more performance as the price increases, until there too few competitors to care it to. You also have to pick the parameters that you are willing to pay for.

Price doesn't mean quality, but it gets seen this way, it sets expectations.
There have some popular and acclaimed headphones that have their reception and perceived worth drop in sync with any price cuts made on a headphone. There are some headphones are seen as better or improved when only the price is increased.

>used headphones
I seldom buy new audio, let other people eat the early adopter and box opening fee. Products are generally well taken care of, and they often amount to cosmetic blemishes if they aren't. At worst, the necessary tools for cleaning (detergent, lint remover, hydrogen peroxide) are handy.

Q701 is more or less the same as the K701/2, but with some branding and (imo) gaudy colours.

K7XX and X712 are using the same drivers but with a bass boost and different earpads. From what I've read, the much thicker pads on the XX, do contribute a fair bit to the sound, swapping them out supposedy brings them closer to the 702.

>Also, maybe I just have to accept the art of EQ, and mercilessly tweak EQ on any set of headphones I try before deciding I don't like them.
I can offer some statements on EQ and my experience, hopefully you can use them.

EQ works. It can be applied to any headphone for the better, provided you use it properly. Practically every aspect that people fuss over is related to something that EQ can modify and affect whether they realize it or not, "detail", soundstage, "speed", clarity, dynamics, impact, and so on.
Equalization is very useful in figuring out what signature you want and what flaws and aberrations exist in a headphone. You can use this as a baseline to figure out what to look for from there.

Before you take the opposite angle blindly, EQ isn't some audio panacea either. EQ is built around affecting the amplitude wrt frequency, and phase usually associated with the level adjustment. Frequency intensity is very much a part of determining audio position, but EQ doesn't affect echoes so much. It won't eliminate inconsistent positioning or fitting as a problem.

>Which AKGs are actually the most neutral?
The K612 is the generally flattest model, as was the K601 in the previous generation.
>I've heard the K701 and K702 are kind of bright
I don't like to think that a stray spike turns a headphone I would want to call veiled into a bright headphone.
I also struggle to recall a headphone that sounded like it had generally bright tonality, just a peak offset by big bass or broad canyons in the upper frequencies.
Something to keep in mind about my experience.
>Q701, K7xx, and K712 supposedly have a bit of a bass boost compared to those
Q701/K702/K701 either sound the same or are each distinctly tuned, depending on who you ask. I hear them the same.
K712 and K7XX are closer to each other and are separate from the older models.

>Budget
50 burgers
>Location
USA
>Source
PC
Full
>Open or closed
Open
>Comfort level
Looking for something that's more comfy. I wear glasses 24/7 so that's something to consider
>Preferred music
Dad rock and some hipster bullshit with a little bit of flying lotus thrown in there somewhere.

Follow up question: Has anyone used a mod mic before? This is going to replace a broken gaymer headset that I got years ago.

I'll probably just go with whatever is the cheapest out of the K701,K702, and Q701 then.

These need an amp, right? I keep hearing that the K7XX does.

I think the K240 are on sale on Amazon right now. That's about your only option with those characteristics and that budget as far as I know

It helps a lot, but it's not as necessary as with flagships. O2/ODACs are fairly cheap. Magni/Modi is alright but some say it's bright if you buy into amps coloring sound.

I need more help with this. I'm leaning towards keeping my iPod. Buying a desktop amp is kinda hard considering I live in Mexico, so I use my iPod as a general player even inside my house.

I'll check those out then. Thanks, user.

I'm probably going to be going about 50-75 range if I can get a cheaper microphone than a mod mic that's as convenient
but those look pretty good for what I want honestly, thanks

I use my cellphone as a mic, so you can do that if you want to save a little. The mic quality is as good as the calling quality, so you can be the judge and see if it's enough for you.
All you need is a 3,5mm male to male cable and a free applications from the play store

I want to go to a CanJam but I don't want to be the only person in his mid twenties in a sea of moth ball smelling audiophilic old men.

>Budget
£200

>Location
The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

>Source MacBook Air / OnePlus One (could buy an external amp if need be, £40 budget for that)

>Preferred type of Headphone
Full

>Open or closed
Closed

>Comfort level
Not too bothered.

>Preferred Tonal Balance
Flat

>Preferred music
Metal, electronic, garage rock

>Past Headphones
Klipsch S4i, Xiaomi Piston 3, Audio Tecnica ATH-M50X

I like the clarity of my M50Xs, but I feel like listening to them tires me out (I don't know why, it's hard to describe). Someone has recommended me the Beyerdynamic DT250s. Are there better options out there?

Will be using in public, so would like minimal sound leak.

I'm going (31yr) to one, wont speak to anyone. Just listen to a few select phones' and gtfo of there.

youtube.com/watch?v=jVUG6ewo_J4

4000USD, thanks Jewd.

Who /HD 800/ here

Vocals sound amazing.

I literally got LASIK solely to make large open headphones more comfortable to wear. I never even considered it once until I bought my first pair of decent headphones and within the hour, realized the glasses were making it kind of annoying.

K7xx are a bassier version of the k712, which was supposed to fix the anemic bass of the k702

My HD681s are starting to give way after years of use - pads starting to crack and peel, cord only works if you pull hard to one angle. I figure there's no quick fix for something like this so I might as well consider some alternatives.

>Budget
$100-130

>Location
Straya

>Source
Just the standard audio socket on my computer.

Full-sized

>Open or closed
Closed, I guess

>Comfort level
Very comfortable. Something I can wear around my neck since my headphones double as speakers at the moment.

>Preferred music
I'm pretty shit at music, but I listen to a lot of stuff like this: soundcloud.com/sonsofpythagoras/xxl007-07-call-to-harm

I also play a lot of videogames.

>Past headphones
Just Superlux HD681s

What's the use of equalizing neutral headphones?

>tfw I use a pair of Skullcandy hesh 2s
I'm the cancer that's killing music

Can you find the NVX XPT100 in your neck of the world?

For personal taste.

I can get them from Amazon US. It'll probably end up being cheaper than anywhere in Aus anyway.

People should be careful when they say that there are sound differences among different units of the same model of a headphone. The only big difference between the austrian K702 and the chinese K702 lies in the absence of the headband bumps, which imo is an improvement comfort-wise. AKG claimed that the new chinese K702 are tuned exactly as the old austrian K702, the choice to move the production from Austria to China was supposedly due to production's cost reduction. The parts composing the K702 still come from Austria, as it's stated on the box.

> neutral
K702 is neutral and it has a really balanced sound. The two spikes at 2 and 6 kHz and the slightly rolled-off sub-bass (which is a common feature of most dynamic open headphones at any rate) don't justify a different definition. As for K702's bass, honestly I didn't notice it as being much weaker when I switched from a Fidelio X2. To say the truth, K702 bass is just tighter and more accurate, since K702 lets sub-bass come out much better than Fidelio X2 did. I find the definition of anemic for K702's bass exaggerated imo.