Why the fuck would anyone ever learn Haskell

Seriously, what benefits does this language provide?

Other urls found in this thread:

redmonk.com/dberkholz/2013/03/25/programming-languages-ranked-by-expressiveness/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

nothing practical

Jobs

It's close to Intel's Haswell CPUs.

What kind of jobs can you get with it?

I'm a math guy and I fail to see how I will ever need it when I know R, Python and MATLAB.

I am autistic(asperger syndrome) and Haskell code can perfectly express the inner workings of my brain.

It teaches you how not to design a programming language.

Big Data. Functional languages have an advantage in parallel computing programming.
Also, I recommend Scala if you come from OO programming.

P-pretty neat goat tower

Haskell pioneered puzzle-oriented programming paradigm. It is a language that attracts attention of autistic-but-not-bright users that happen to like to solve puzzles while programming.

>So you can use Xmonad like a champ

Xmonad is great but having to config it in Haskell gave me cancer

this

As a Scala engineer I have never had trouble securing a good fun job.

It does look like it would be nice. I just can't justify learning Haskell to configure it. I'm guessing you don't have to master Haskell, but even learning the very basics seems like a waste, if Xmonad is the only use you'll get out of it.

I'll stick with Fluxbox I think. I really like just how simple it is to change literally everything about it. It's the sort of project that I'm damn surprised didn't come out of the OpenBSD community, because of how simplified things are, while still giving you full control over everything.

if you're not afraid of compiling from source, dwm is pretty xmonad-y and it's written in C

Smugness.

>Scala engineer

You don't need to know Haskell to configure it though. I only learned Haskell more than a year after setting up my XMonad conif. All you really need is the ability to copy paste code and a bit of common sense.

the syntax looks like shit
only people who want to look cool by writing esoteric and incoherent code will use this piece of fucking shit. kill yourselves

redmonk.com/dberkholz/2013/03/25/programming-languages-ranked-by-expressiveness/
>implying
You probably haven't even tried haskell

Had to for a module at university.

I like it but haven't found a single use for it outside of the module coursework, which is unfortunate.

>redmonk.com/dberkholz/2013/03/25/programming-languages-ranked-by-expressiveness/
this website has nothing to do with the fucking syntax you retard im talking about the fact that thE code looks like shit i dont give a fuck if its "functional" at this rate i cant tell the difference between perl and brainfuck and now this

>but even learning the very basics seems like a waste
you don't even know Haskell and you're telling shit about it?

Same here. Cool, but nobody/nowhere uses it.