And in today's edition of old technology from the arctic

And in today's edition of old technology from the arctic...

I give you this beast of a phone. It is out of an old console in the abandoned radar up here.

Other urls found in this thread:

radomes.org/museum/parsehtml.php?html=BMEWSSite1ThuleGLRadomeFire80.html&type=doc_html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Denial_System
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Go on...

Even has an old style network module so I think I'll be able to get it working with a standard phone line eventually....just don't think all the lines at the top will work obviously. Still trying to find the input line.

GIVE IT BACK JAMAL

Heavy duty relays for each line

Even has a solid state input and output amp built in. Impressive since much of the console is powered with vacuum tubes.

And the model. Back when the original mechanical radar was built in 1960 RCA designed EVERYTHING. The buildings, the equipment, etc was all made by RCA. We still use some of the equipment today in the building where the phased array radar is now but not much. They cannibalized a bunch of old cabinets to house newer equipment.

Do you work there? That's neat shit

>abandoned radar
Post pics, user
60's electronics have the best aesthetics of all decades

Here's a bad angle view of the console. I dunno why...but back in the 50s and 60s everything was that pale green color. Even NASA consoles were that color (I think RCA built those too).

user are you raiding an arctic radar station?

fuck, user. get a better flashlight.

OK. The main radars arrays were pulled down years ago unfortunately but the support buildings are all mostly still in place.

For instance this was taken in one of the old scanner buildings. The radar arrays shot energy into this building and down the waveguides seen here. The chamber to the left held a rotating mechanism that helped "steer" the surveillance radar beam as needed since the grid itself did not move.

I was thinking the same thing when I took the pic...unfortunately I have to make due.

One more pic of the "piano" waveguide as it was called. The pics don't do a real good job capturing just how massive the waveguide setup is.

That's some underground Aperture Science shit

Oh shit, you're the guy from that other thread that raided the radar station for phones

triggered

ONE JOB

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Yup.

Anyway once the radar energy entered through the scanner building it would travel down long tunnels to the main buildings.

Obviously if there is a crack...snow gets in...

>Data Proc
Have you gone looking for bigger equipment?
Older computers or peripherals? Tapes/disk packs? Old TTY/Video consoles?

Here is an outside shot of one of the abandoned main buildings. The previous pic was taken right below where that black tower on the right side of the pic is. There are some doors that are completely covered as you can see. I took these pics in May and the slow has only slightly receded...tho in a few more weeks it will be completely gone again.

Jeez, where is this?

I have. It is all gone. The bulk of the equipment was removed and stored as spares back when they decommissioned the mechanical radar in 87. Clear AFS and Fylingdales in the UK were still operating the old radar so they shifted most of the consoles and such to those locations. Clear only shut down its mechanical radar in the 2000s.

The tag says Thule Air Base, so Greenland.
See

Thule AB, Greenland.

Here's a pic of the old radar setup. The building with the dome is the one under all that snow now.

Fun side story. We take fire stupid serious up here. As a radar operator you can be decertified if you fuck up fire procedures. Here is the reason...

radomes.org/museum/parsehtml.php?html=BMEWSSite1ThuleGLRadomeFire80.html&type=doc_html

Anyway back to the radar itself. Once the energy is fed to the main technical buildings, the waveguides divert everything to equipment to decipher the info and then to the consoles. At the same time, energy is being dumped back out via massive klystron tubes that used to reside in all 3 technical buildings. Today they are gone...I believe Thule's klystrons are now installed at the Arecibo Observatory.

How the place looked in the 60s...

Is there any big iron mainframe/minicomputer shit in there?

I've always wanted to go through a facility like that.

All gone. The only remnant I found was a tape drive.

That said....wayyyyy back when I originally enlisted in 2003 I was charged with disposing of a warehouse full of old equipment at my first station at Wright-Patterson AFB in Ohio. Some of the equipment was tagged "Top Secret DARPANET" (old tags...not TS by then). I wish I had tried to save some of that stuff.

best Sup Forums thread all weak. Some OC for once.

I really wonder about that paint. Must've been 1cent cheaper per gallon? Or knowing American spending, someone who had a paint factory was buddies with a senator.

Fucking pale green paint everywhere.

It was just what was in vogue at the time, like beige computers a couple decades ago.
Thanks OP best thread I've seen here in a while.

Mmh, classic thru-hole components.

They used that color on old appliances from the time as well.

are the white specks on that picture from dust or radiation or something?

Ice. It was still well below freezing and everything was covered in ice crystals. It looked way cooler to the naked eye.

That would explain how clean everything looks. Every abandoned place I've ever been to had been raided many years ago.... fuckers even took ALL the cooper wiring and pulled the asbestos pipe insulation right off to steal all the pipes.

man, I am so jealous

everything looks so awesome

All week? Try in the last 6 months

Here are a few cards I pulled from the console. Vacuum tubes and old school solid state galore!

Would be cool if you could get those to Dave Jones of the EEVblog. He loves doing teardowns of really old electronics and documents it for the world to see.

But I can perfectly understand if you don't wanna pay shipping to Australia.

You would have been shot. Good thing you didn't.

>radiation
What? This is a radar station, not a nuclear power plant.

Actually RF radiation is a real issue. You don't want to hang out around the current phased array radar for more than a few seconds. We have to quickly drive through it every day to get to work. That said...I occasionally take a few extra moments basking in the radiation to get good shots. This one is from the roof of the abandoned building (the one under all that snow)

Radar waves are pretty close to X-rays... With some radars could could hold up a flourescent tube and it'd light up by itself. The microwave oven was invented because some guy forgot his lunch near the radar and came back to find it toasty.

Yea, but it isn't the ionizing radiation that would cause effects on a camera. I'm sure you know why it's not good to hang around high powered radio equipment.

correct

Actually he was testing radar tech and noticed a chocolate bar in his pocket melted. He then tested out popcorn and found it popped. That's how he got the idea for the microwave oven.

Radar and Xrays are completely fucking different. Radar (which uses Radio) has wavelengths from 1mm to 100km, whereas Xrays go from .1nm to 10nm, which is many orders of magnitude smaller.

Radar will bounce off metal, Xrays will pass right through it.

I like that his immediate thought wasn't "holy shit I've been working near this thing for weeks!" but instead "I can probably make money off this"

>Radar waves are pretty close to X-rays
Ha, no.

>"holy shit I've been working near this thing for weeks!"
Because it isn't generally dangerous.

Get some chink shit like a cree.
Do they ship to the arctic?

Microwaves can hurt like a mofo when focused. I took part in a test once of this system and I can tell you the shit is real. My skin was on fire for the brief moment it was turned on.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Denial_System

High powered RF radiation can cause heating, but it isn't destructive like ionizing radiation is. There wouldn't be any lasting effects, unless you gave someone burns with something like that.

That's what was installed in my flashlight. The problem is more focusing. Everything was stupid bright....but when you took a pic it highlighted the sharp edges of the beam.

>Get some chink shit
>like a cree.

Yup. You just wanted to run away ASAP...which was the whole intention of the setup.

Are you using a phone? Phone cameras tend to be horrible at focusing on more than one item at a time, which is why

Need to see more pics OP

Not for those shots. I was using a Canon 6D.
Of the radar or phone? Cant take many more pics of the phone to be honest.

Why are you fucking around on base?

Where are you, and go post on Sup Forums or Sup Forums so I can collect the flag

?

OK I'll assume radar and go from here. These are all from the abandoned technical building where the tracker radar was once mounted.

Literally who the fuck are you?

My building is very similar which is kinda weird...it's literally like navigating my workplace only completely abandoned.

Someone.

So here are a couple HVAC units in the old building. I'm in the process of getting all of these old units replaced in my building. I wonder how loud they will be vs the old units.

:)

That looks like a petri dish of nasty.

Admit it, given the chance you'd fuck around in an abandoned military radar installation too if you could.

Where the consoles used to be.

is that mould?

In this area my building is a totally different function now. Very strange to see it all open.

i live in greenland

Quality OC OP, keep it coming.

Whats in the crates?

He's a nip tripfag.

That's some Metro 2033 shit.

That looks awesome

lol are you joking with those shitty tools

I thoroughly enjoyed every post
thank you, OP

???

that guy is a dumb fuck and has the most annoying voice ever

theres so many better people to watch then him

do tell

tesla500 - tear downs and high speed cameras
mikeselectricstuff - design tips, tear downs
thesignalpath - lots of rf stuff, repair

I used to watch eevblog as well but once past ep 200 he got stupid and started pandering to idiots with his mailbag episodes and "watch me reagrange the office again"

All there of those cover fundamentals, tear downs, design best practices, etc. Really nice cause very little nonsense

I can list more if u want

>that charred dish in the last shot
I don't know why that's freaky, but it is

very nice. Thank you for sharing.
How do they handle decommissioning old hardware like this? Do they just give it away to anyone since it's depreciated beyond any worry?

This is a lot better than your last thread.

Phones like this remind me how much technology has -not- changed in the last 50 years. Not in functionality, at least.