Looking at picking up one of these for 1000 down under dollars but the keyboard is utter shit from what I've heard...

Looking at picking up one of these for 1000 down under dollars but the keyboard is utter shit from what I've heard. Any xps13 owners that can testify for its shallowness?

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.co.uk/itm/Apple-MacBook-13-3-Laptop-3-1-3Gb-Ram-2-2-GHz-Core-Duo-320Gb-HD-MS-OFFICE-2011-/252429755395?hash=item3ac5fc6403:g:cEcAAOSwU1FXP6fd
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Keyboard is decent IMO

Problem is some windows including some right click menus render really blue and it's fucking annoying. And the track pad scroll has horrible lag on every other program

Pretty good except for those I guess

Really blurry*

So you dont find it shallow? thats a common complaint I hear but I'm always able to resell if its not to my liking.

I plan on booting linux if thats better of worse for rendering

buy a MacBook

or you could just hump around that monstrosity or let it blue screen on you when you're 5 mins from deadline

This, Mac are way better.

I ditched a 2014 Macbook Pro for an XPS 15 and regret it. Faster specs but the quality is just no comparison. The thin bezel does look nice, but the screen is sub par. The trackpad isn't bad by PC standards but still nothing like Apple has. The thing still feels like a plastic toy. I'll be back to Apple with the next Macbook Pro release.

This. When I see a guy with a fucking Dell or something else just as boring it's an instant turn off.

>but the screen is sub par
Really? I thought Dell made nice monitors, it's a shame it didn't make it into their laptop. I love my Dell monitor at least.

here in ausland a macbook with similair specs costs me around 2500 dollars so that blows my budget just want it for university and when im at my girlfriends place

I have seen some pretty kickass Dell monitors as well but they're not to be found here. It's certainly not bad, but compared to what I have grown accustomed to with the Macbook Pro it just doesn't do it.

Same. Got a XPS to replace my air, returned it two days later to get a rMBP.

Just buy a Toshiba Kirabook, Microsoft Surface Book, or a Lenovo Thinkpad t460s

what will you be using it for?

If it's gaming or hardcore performance related get a windows.

But if you want an all around computer for homework/media and shit get a MacBook 2013/2014 desu

Go with your budget dude. It's not a bad machine. It's nicer than many other Windows laptops I've owned over the years. I'd like it a lot more if there were an easy way to downgrade to Windows 7. Windows 10 is fucking shit. From what I've read there's a lot of driver and hardware issues that makes downgrading these a giant PITA.

programming watching tv shows in bed and playing some dota 2 so a nice screen+keyboard are all I really need in a smallish package

15 rupees have been deposited into your account mr. samePajeet

well theyre selling for 1500 bucks on ebay so I could probably resell for a profit tb.h f.am

Don't ever (you) me again you Dell owning, Windows/GNU Linux using virgin.

I've been on Macbooks since around 2011, and decided I'd indulge the "Apple is overpriced shit for same" meme with the best Macbook Pro alternative they had to offer.

I'm not impressed.

since Sony stopped producing laptops.

everything is shit

We don't want your kind here

Tell me three things that windows laptops hold over macbooks that ISNT gaming related. You can't.

Mac's are easier, smoother, simpler for the average person who isn't a basement dweller or a NEET.

>>>/kissless virgins/

get a $1000 windows laptop and see if it doesn't turn into a lava plume when you're on it for more than 6 hours

How about just 1 even? If you really hate OSX that much you can easily dual boot Windows. Any game you can't run with the 2GB dedicated graphics is probably best left to a desktop anyway.

>>>/aids and bullet ridden scum/

I'll bet I've had more sex than you too.

"Sex" with your waifu pillows doesn't count.

Price to performance
Non shitty build quality (Macs have hands down the worst keyboards and trackpads on this planet, also shitty aluminum and glossy screens)
Fucking freedom to run whatever the fuck software I want on my machine easily

Yep. I've really never heard any argument apart from

>but can it run n at x fps

>can't have a single thread without PC vs Mac

They're both good in their own ways. Who cares what people buy?

Not even counting that

Sex with another male's aid's ridden asshole doesn't count either

Here's the best way you can decide what you should get:

1) Fit your budget
2) OSX or Wingdangs?

That's literally it. If you want OSX, either look for a Macbook that fits your budget, or increase it. If you're happy running Windows, get a reasonably priced Windows laptop, whether that's an XPS or something else.

All this bullshit about 'hurr better for X', or 'it performs so much better on Y' is irrelevant unless you plan to do those things, and even then, odds are you won't find a difference so large that it cripples your experience.

Spend within your means and pick whatever OS best suits you. End of story.

>all this apple shilling
Why

Just get a ThinkPad OP.
>cheap on eBay
>great keyboards
>great mice, just make sure it's not that ridiculous newer vesion that clicks in like half an inch
>clit
>God tier build quality
>insane expandability

If you're hesitant, you could also look into HP's professional lineup.

Macs are the BMW of the computer world. Sorry. They just are. You can piss and moan all day long about how your 82 TransAm has more horsepower or torque at the wheels, but at the end of the day the BMW is just the better car. And it's never the BMW owner who shits on the TransAm guy, it's always the other way around. Same goes here. Inferiority complex is a motherfucker.

This, though I would say that if you go for a macbook you're going to need to increase you budget as a general rule

>performance

oh boy another neckbeard, please define performance in a way that isn't playing csgo for 19 hours a day.

>shit build

The trackpads are cancer, but the 2013/2014 keyboards are great. I can type >100 wps comfortably.

>freedom

Apple and OSX have great duelbooting support.

>uses Gahnoo + Linux and/or is a PC gaymur
>ever having seen a woman's vagina IRL
And if I were gay, I'd be having sex with other women. I'm just saying, I don't have sex with Windows/Linux owners.

I've looked at the recommended ones (x220 x230 t420 t430) and the screen is a real turn off for me not bright enough imo and the res is low without buying an ips hd panel

As a person who owns a BMW, I feel insulted by your comparison.

Because Mac agrees PC are good machines, but PC insists that Macs are completely useless at everything

All this autism in one post.

Fucking when did people fall for the marketing. When did people actually start to have brand loyalty for some god unknown reason. There is no magic unidentifiable factor that just makes the macbook better. Just marketing hype eaten up by the public

A 96 3 series doesn't count. In fact, any 3 series doesn't.
VW/Audi owner here. BMW is for white chicks and niggers

l-linux

>When did people actually start to have brand loyalty for some god unknown reason.
People make their purchasing decisions a part of their personal identity, this isn't exclusive to macfags. Attack their purchasing decisions = attacking them as a person. Even arguments between users of different Linux distributions can get heated because of this.

2008 528
Literally only got it cause I was talked into it by the salesman.

It's having experienced them both. A string of plastic laptops that last 8 months versus a 4 year old Macbook Pro still as good as the day I bought it. You can throw away $800 every year or spend $2300 once every 5. What's the better deal? Let's not even mention the difference in resale value...oh lordy.

>be a student
>go to class
>homework
>have music and media home projects
>think these will ever be possible on a clunky pcmasterace2000

I've got an old plastic acer shitbook thats lasted 10 years or so just because I take good care of my things so durability isnt really an issue

If you're looking to type up an essay everyday, it's definitely annoying how quick it bottoms out, but for regular low word count usage it's pretty non-trivial.

I didn't mean literal durability. But hell good on you man, I don't have that kind of patience. Every PC laptop I've purchased, I end up hating and search for a replacement in a year.

> Macbook Pro, non-Retina, 'from' $1,699AUD (Retina version is 'from' $1,999AUD)
> 13.3" display
> Dual-core i5 or i7 processor with Turbo up to 3.6GHz (the site doesn't list the exact CPU)
> 4GB/8GB RAM
> Intel HD 4000
> 'Up to' 1TB HDD OR 512GB SSD
> 1280x800 screen resolution
> 2 x USB 3.0, 1 x Firewire, 1 x Thunderbolt, SD Card, ethernet and WiFi

> Metabox P650RE, cost me $1,860, with postage
> 15.4" display
> Intel Core i7-6700HQ
> 16GB of RAM, with room for more up to (I believe) 32GB.
> Nvidia GTX 970m 3GB (with a 6GB model available if I wanted to spend another $125)
> Got 240GB M.2 SSD with another free port to add another, installed a 2TB 9mm HDD, has room to install 2 x 7.5mm drives or 1 x 9mm drive, for a total of two M.2 SSDs PLUS two 7.5mm HDDs or SSDs
> 1920x1080 screen resolution
> 4 x USB 3.0, Displayport, HDMI, ethernet, WiFi, SD Card

I paid an extra $161 or so and got a way more powerful machine.

Do what suits you. But do you understand that the value of a product is sometimes more than the sum total of it's parts?

oh I see I'm not too bothered by build quality but the screen on said acer is fucking awful and too dim for any kind of well lit room

>I fall for memes
>I need the latest and greatest i7 to install Gentoo
/downs/: the post

I do understand this. That's how Apple sells most of its products, and if people who like Apple don't mind paying that premium, then more power to them. I'm saying that it's not true that their internals and build quality set them so far above the rest, and that it's possible to get a similar or better laptop for a similar or better price. Apple are far and away not the be all and end all for price:performance.

> i should pay more money for an inferior product
k mate

>super slim
>that bulk

imagine you're a student or a writer, what would you rather carry around.

>$161

you can buy a 2011 MacBook for that, and it'll be just as good for what it was designed to do now.

Not for price:performance, sure. Find me your best Macbook Pro alternative. Similar build quality and specs. Please. Because I tried and still wound up massively underwhelmed.

>muh PPPPpowerr

if they are so much more reliable and great performance wise, why are they dominated in music, education, media, journalism by macbooks?

>You can buy a 2011 MacBook for 161 dollars
I thought you niggers were adamant about muh resale value.
Also, source. I do believe you're talking out of your ass.

>i should pay more money for an inferior product
no, you should consider not paying more than $400 on a laptop. or do you just like burning money, autist?

2012 Macbook Pros, not even retina, still go for around $1000. If you find a 2011 that works for $161, buy it immediately.

Dell 7000 series. It's dells macbook knock off. They aren't any cheaper and are thicker. But they get better battery life, as the thickness is due to the sheet battery. You cannot upgrade the ram or processor as its a single soac ala the MacBook. But the hard drive e is upgradeable who is nice. You can get them in i5 or i7 ULV processors. They are incredibly durable, water resistant and have a nice weight to them.

I never said super slim, bruh. I'm also not weak as fuck, so the weight of the P650RE doesn't bother me. I have a bag that I can put the laptop in and can comfortably carry it all day. It's not that heavy anyway. It's not Macbook Air-light, sure, but it's not crushingly heavy, either.

> you can buy a 2011 MacBook for that, and it'll be just as good for what it was designed to do now.
Emphasis on 'what it was designed to do'. As I said in , if it suits your budget and your preferred OS, have at it. I have nothing against Macbooks or Apple users. However, Macbooks are not the pinnacle of laptop innovation or performance.

That P650RE suited me. That's also not their most expensive model. However, I believe Metabox is an Australian company, and I dunno if they ship overseas.

Because hipsters are weak and cannot carry an actual laptop without snapping their puny spines. They need something that they can hold in one hand while sipping their soy decaf macchiato in the other.

> I wouldn't spend more than $X on a laptop
> Ergo, nobody should ever spend more than $X on a laptop
Step off

im in the uk, I bought a 2011 MacBook for my little sister for what exchanges to be less than $161, she still uses it, it's a great machine.

>ebay.co.uk/itm/Apple-MacBook-13-3-Laptop-3-1-3Gb-Ram-2-2-GHz-Core-Duo-320Gb-HD-MS-OFFICE-2011-/252429755395?hash=item3ac5fc6403:g:cEcAAOSwU1FXP6fd

this works out to be 190, but if you went to any irl technology store you'd get one for around 160 bucks.

this is was the go to high school laptop in 2011

>I wouldn't tell anybody to spend no more than $X on a laptop
>Ergo, nobody should ever tell anybody to spend no more than $X on a laptop
faggot

you didn't but the p60's site did.

it's just carrying it around, what about moving it around your room or showing other people your work. Shit is straining as fuck. Simple thing is when you just need something to write, watch, and listen from a MacBook is perfect.

If you're a student or writer you don't need that much power anyway. Low end xps 13 perfect

> but the p60's site did
I didn't read any of that junk. I never do when making a purchase. I look at hard specs and go from there.

> what about moving it around your room or showing other people your work
I can easily hold and balance it on one hand without strain, although I almost always have SOMETHING to place it on, even if it's just my lap while I'm sitting down. I'm able to hold the weight of the laptop quite easily.

> Simple thing is when you just need something to write, watch, and listen from a MacBook is perfect.
If you want OSX, sure. There are also mad cheap - and light - Windows laptops as well. If all you do is 'write, watch and listen', there are many Windows laptops that run far cheaper than a Macbook, because of the lower specs. Hell, I bought a fucking shitty ching chong Windows tablet for like $350, and I'm able to 'write, watch and listen' on that without a single issue. Does it have the power of a Macbook? No, of course not. Does it perform how I need it to? You bet your ass it does.

Are the Macbooks and XPS 13 really the only Ultrabooks competing at this price range? What else is out there, I've been looking for something but these two seem to dominate the market

b..bonus points for touchscreen

both are good, the mac vs pc argument isn't one is useless and one is great, it's just that one is far easier and simpler, and that's the MacBook. Op said he just wants it for University and when he's at his girlfriends house, the MacBook wins that race by a mile.

>Usability
>Weight
>iMessage
>Facetime
>Screen quality
>Speakers
>The ability to do long hours of homework without all that >muh pPower burning a whole in your lap

My girlfriend got a second-hand Asus Zenbook for like $750 (I think the RRP at that point was like $1300-$1400AUD at that point, I can't remember the exact model). It's not top of the line by any means, but it suits what she needs to do - internet, writing shit, watching Netflix, music here and there.

It's not a gaming machine, but she doesn't play any games, so there's no issue.

OP here since the argument for macbooks is so strong and the keyboard on the xps 13 is scaring me away... Which macbook can I get around the same price point? good screen and nothing under 13 inches Macbook pro 13 2013?

>tfw u and op are best friends and you just brainwashed him into joining the cult

your best bet, that's the middle class between the earlier dirt cheap models and the new ultra expensive ones. It's the new go to, go for it op

a-anthony?

There's the Microsoft Surface Pro, and Lenovo is coming out with the OLED display x1 yoga.

>Microsoft Surface Pro
Hate the keyboard for the Surface, don't understand why they don't copy the Asus Transformer and have a proper physical one

Bleh i meant Surface Book not the Pro

I want one just for the fun of it. Seems like a nice thing to have and to get other people to stop bitching about me wanting a long batt life and using a mbp.

if you have the 4k display version, then its the resolution scaling windows does to non 4k resolution software.

>Non shitty build quality (Macs have hands down the worst keyboards and trackpads on this planet, also shitty aluminum and glossy screens)

Absolutely incorrect. I feel like you have never used a MBP and are simply spouting memes.

>worst keyboards and trackpads
not even an apple fan, but you're delusional as fuck if you think the macbook's trackpad doesn't btfo all other window's trackpads

So just Asus and Lenovo in the race? Not too keen on the latter honestly

Unfortunately Apple is the only game in town if you want a quality laptop. The lack of competition is pretty disturbing.

Asus are the only ones I really looked at, since gf was specifically wanting something Ultrabook-ish, but didn't want to spend a ton (and she wanted Windows). Perhaps there were better ones, but the Asus Zenbooks seem like a decent sort of a lineup as is.

I own an inspiron 3541
The touchpad is magical and the keyboard is strangely comfortable, with enough 'chick' noise and alright travel distance for a laptop atleast

I have it. The keyboard's fine. I don't have any issues with the blue light. What I do however have is one stuck pixel. Not really noticeable but still sucks that it's there

Yes I have, why people like them is beyond me. Horrible feeling surface, terrible tracking, awful gestures and that keyboard is shit.

Also they have glossy displays and are not (to my knowledge) touch screens. Why the flying fuck anyone would ever prefer a glossy display is a complete mystery. Do you just not like seeing the display? Is the operating system so ugly you would rather see glare?

Fucking shadows on the walls man

Yeah, you can write all kinds of vague made-up shit on the internet.

Yeah including stuff about how much you love macs and their trackpads but at some point you just gotta accept that maybe people are allowed to have differing opinions than you.

That notwithstanding, as much as you and your shittily opinioned self seem to love the cancer that is apple, I'm going to dispassionately abhor them for all the garbage that they do and promote as good.

> Glossy screen
Enjoy your eye diseases
Really is there any good, portaple laptop with good matte screen except xps ?