Raspberry Pi

Hi Sup Forums i figured id ask here before i went to stack overflow. I just picked up an unopened Raspberry pi 1 model b at a yard sale for 5 bucks. I was looking at distros to get but it looks like all the good disros are for pi 2 and 3.
What are some good OSs for the rasbery pi 1?

>inb4 gentoo and arch(yes you can get arch on pi)

Also raspberry pi thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

cl.cam.ac.uk/projects/raspberrypi/tutorials/os/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

heard you can turn rasberry pi's into home servers, wouldn't know how to go about doing it tho.

im thinking of buying a pi3 for retro pi anyone wanna sell me one cheap?

Ya i think its pritty easy with Ubuntu core, thats raspberry pi 2 and up tho :(

You can get debian runnibg on that thing

install gentoo

Wow who could have guessed that some one would say this, oh wait OP did.

i mean ya there is rasbian, but could you get the real Debian on it?

Raspbian _IS_ the real debian, just with a lightweight GUI as default

install gentoo xd

just ordered a pi 3, a 64gb card, two bluetooth 8bitdo NESPRO controllers, and a case

raspbian with XFCE is supposed to run decently on it. Retropie will also run nicely on there, but won't run the heavier emulators like Dreamcast etc (PSX and lower should run decently), OpenELEC for a media player (no bloat of a media player built upon Raspbian, it's a distro that only comprises about 100 megs), RISCOS if you wanna go non-linux,

Lighttpd is good for a small server on a pi.

You could also check out PirateBox, which lets you broadcast a WiFi network and host a webpage on it. You could pretty easily edit their default page and make the pi into a portable file server.

If you want, you can also install Minecraft Pi Edition, which is actually pretty cool; it lets you place blocks programmatically with Python or Java scripting.

>pic related

Nginx is a lot better http server

What do you mean you dont know? Give it power and ethernet and youre done

holy shit this whole thread is giving me cancer

why would you though, the ethernet is slow as fuck because of cost-cutting measures

Dud duds has spoken. Just looked up piratebox site. Looks kool. Tanks

Install Gentoo

Sup Forums, I'm currently developing a basic os for the raspberry pi but I'm not very confident with terminal, this guide is asking me to make the current working directory to the parent directory of the source director. can someone explain what this means and what i should do, i kinda get what it means but its not very clear
>inb4 install gentoo

Just cd .. and ls until you get to the directory that had the folder named "source" or whatever their default name is or whatever you named it

arch is great on a raspberry pi and incredibly easy to install - literally partition your sd and untar the arch base into it. i have three at work all driving wall boards - basically firefox in full screen mode with a tiny greasemlnkey script to reload a page every 60 seconds, connected up to a large tv and they're stable as fuck.

how do i use the make command it keeps coming up with the 'make' is not recognised as an internal or external command

install the make package then
what os are you trying to get the kernel compiled on?

What OS are you using?

windows 10, i've installed msys but it keeps coming up with that message

sorry can't really help you with windows, check if the binaries are in your path.
i suggest setting up a ubuntu vm and installing the arm-toolchain using apt-get on there.

are you following this course?
cl.cam.ac.uk/projects/raspberrypi/tutorials/os/

>What are some good OSs for the rasbery pi 1?

uh, Raspbian, what else?
I've run OSMC on a pi 1 as well, plays 1080p without a hitch.

But my old pi 1 is now pulling duties as a Tor wireless access point, running Raspbian.

Not sure why you'd want anything else on it?

how is GPIO support in NetBSD/FreeBSD on RPI?

you can download raspbian from raspberry pi official website, there is even raspbian lite version with basic must have oly stuff, its in terminal mode and without all raspberry stuff.

I am running on raspberry pi model b+ apache, ftp, nodejs, minidlna, cloud and few other thing and it works pretty good, but its all for testing purposue it will not handle too much traffic, so its more for local network with few users or for testing purpouses.

This.
Keep the lite version in mind once you joked around with the Desktop version.
It is very light and you don't have to deactivate all the shit running needlessly once you use it as server etc.

Raspbian, obviously

>wants to create an os
>cant even use the command line

why dont get arch??
u get console and thats the only thing you need