Is it the year of the Linux desktop yet, Sup Forums ?

Is it the year of the Linux desktop yet, Sup Forums ?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/2402
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

yes

Yay !

yes

Can we please end this retarded meme? Linux has never & will probably never be for the general consumerfag population. Even having a distro as "familiar" as Ubuntu requires the user to do a bit of digging around and experimenting at times when shit goes wrong. I don't think anyone can deny this. Most people don't give two shits about what OS they're running as long as it allows them to go on FB and YouTube.

Yes

the Year of the Linux Desktop is happening because all the normies want phones and tablets instead of desktops, so pretty soon only Linux users will still run desktops.

Ask me later

Desktops are dead.

As opposed to....what? Windows? Where the media player can't play the game of thrones episode they downloaded or where they get blue screens, virus' and can't trouble shoot any problems that don't show up on google for forum posts just like Linux?

I genuinely don't get it anymore....it all seems the opposite now.

>linux is hard
>linux doesn't work out of the box
The unique difficult thing about linux is installing it. If manufacturers sold computers with a linux distro pre installed it would be even better than what it is today.

Everything works better than windows nowadays. Only a few distributions won't make your computer work out of the box (example debian if you don't have a wifi card that have a free driver, you'll have to install it manually).

No. I think 2017 or 2018 might be the year of the linux desktop. Devs no longer wants to support microsoft only and they all migrate to linux.

>The unique difficult thing about linux is installing it.
This highly depends on the distro, though.
Installing Linux can be even easier than installing Windows or OS X.

help me guys i have samsung laptop from 2015, installed ubuntu and did rm -rf for keks - now it wont boot and samsung said this issue is out of warranty because i screwed with OS and bios but i never touched bios... am i fucked Sup Forums?

How the fuck did you mess up the BIOS with that

i dont know i heard that ubuntu shares some bios files in some folder and i removed it with rm -rf but im too scared to check it on my pc now

but normies doesn't install windows or OS X, and they'll be afraid to fuck up their windows partition.

no, boot ftom a usb stick and make a proper reinstall.
I'm sure the bios is fine, rm -rf has nothing to do with it.
At most you encounter some problem with the bootloader

Not until the most popular distros have thumbnails in the file selector by default.

>i heard that ubuntu shares some bios files
no.
You don't know what bios is I guess

>Still no relevant games on Linux
No

DOTA 2
CS:GO

Literally 2 of the 3 biggest esports

what about that Sup Forums? im too dumb to understand what they talking about but isnt it smth about brick? github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/2402 found it on reddit

And GTA V, Fallout 4, Overwatch, etc?

I named two relevant games.

uefi isn't bios.

select the old bios way at boot (specific key like Fsomething or esc at the very start)

but its dark screen and fan spinning at max, nothing shows up, no samsung logo asking me to click f2 like before

Normies don't touch media players, it's all about steaming to the. Computer is for YouTube and Facebook. Steaming box is for game of thrones. No normie will touch an os besides osx or windows no matter how much you try and convince them.

>gaymes that are a pic related scam
Time to grow up or fuck off to

you don't even get to the POST step ?

make sure your PC is really turned off.

Switch on and press multiple times either F2 or F9 or anything (check your model to know which one triggers desired menus).
sometimes the hard is damn quick so you could be block one step further without knowing it

all leds are off, then i start pressing f2 like it used to asked me on samsung logo to enter bios and then second hand press power button and i hear fan spinning fast and leds turn but but nothing is on screen no matter how long i wait and samsung told me that i screwed with bios and i need to pay them for board replacement.

^this. I've tried to get people to run linux, but the problem is, that basically all the linux users are elitist-knowing shits not willing to help with a straight answer but saying something like "GO READ THE WIKI" "WE WROTE EVERYTHING THERE" even if they did not.

Every freacking distro I tried was not ready for the daily usage of a normie user: every browser has problems with fullscreen, the "shop" on every linux is a bugged piece of garbage, the settings in controll panel-esque managers ale lacking in functionality in comparision to windows.

Well, that's probably why the most popular linux distro noone likes to admit is in fact linux, is android. Android has basically solved 3/4 problems linux had on desktops, and here you go, #1 mobile operating system in the world.

in a few years android apps may become a standardized way of making applications work on computers, not just phones, and that's because of google chrome having the android runtime or something like microsoft's astoria project. By then, one will give a damn about OS only in case of some legacy stuff they need, i.e. some toilet controlls working on BSD or stupid MS word.

uefibios
try other keys to get the putative menu where they ask you for bios

I was going to try Linux, but after reading this, I don't think I will. It sounds like Linux simply has too many problems still.