Does anyone have experience with the PC Engines boards...

Does anyone have experience with the PC Engines boards? I've been looking at the apu2c4 since it's supposed to be a board with 3 gigabit ports, 2 wireless NIC slots, and 4 gigs of ECC memory for ~200 dollars.

Other urls found in this thread:

kickstarter.com/projects/263025908/jaguarboard-x86-based-single-board-computer/description
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

OK.

Like it's OK?

What are you trying to do? If it's anything besides the most basic router look elsewhere. They do have a surprising amount of IPsec throughput for the price but it's still not great.

never heart of them

I use one as my pfSense-router. Works like a charm. I can't recomend the wifi-options however. Setup is easy as long you know what a seria-cable is and how to use it.

forgot pic.

What packages do you have installed?

Basic SSH proxy. I'm currently using a WAP with my laptop to make a "VPN," but I want to consolidate it into the 1 device. I'm pretty sure it will be able to handle my shitty 20 mbps Comcast connection without any issue. It's not like I torrent over it or anything since I want to keep the uploads low.

What is the serial connection, or is it just a standard port on the motherboard? My Beaglebone Black needed a special connector to connect to it.

I wish they a 4 port version of that

Since this is a fresh install none. But i can recomend pfBlocker, darkstat and nut. I also have the UPS package installed and the open-vm tools are a must for virtualsed installations.

Well, you will be forced use a serial console to do the install. It works and feels like a SSH-(shell). If you are on windows, putty will be your go to software to connect to the board and do your setup. You'll have to look up the default BAUD rate however, since I've set it manually to 115200.

Would that thing make a passable home server if I needed a bit more power than a raspberry pi?

What is that dear user, never heard that before

> inb4 stupid

>a bit more power than a raspberry pi
It's considerable more powerful that the Raspberry Pitiful. The latest version comes with 4 gigs of ECC memory and actual Ethernet (not that USB-shared-Ethernet bullshit). It's also a lot more expensive, and shipping sucks, and you need to use Paypal.

compooter

>Since this is a fresh install none. But i can recomend pfBlocker, darkstat and nut. I also have the UPS package installed and the open-vm tools are a must for virtualsed installations.

How are you running a hypervisor on that?

Any baytrail or cherrytrail mini PC is going to smoke this thing for the same or less $$$.

I don't, however i use ESXi to virtualise pfSense. You'll have to install the tools, so you can all the functuality of pfSense running on a hypervisor.

Show me a baytrail or cherrytrail mini PC with ECC memory for 200 dollars.

Well if you absolutely have to have ECC then no.

But they are like 6x faster, embedded AMD systems are into the trash tier slow, this thing would get stomped by any sub $50 dollar ARM SoC.

However these AMD processors are the only option with actual NICs, ECC-Ram and support for M.2 SSDs. Also they are fairly power efficient and don't need much more processing-power for what they are supposed to do. Appliances and stuff.

>sub $50 dollar ARM SoC
I don't buy this for a second. My Beaglebone Black is slower than my 10zig thin client, and that has a processor that's slower than this AMD one.

Has anyone taken a loot into this board?

kickstarter.com/projects/263025908/jaguarboard-x86-based-single-board-computer/description

How much faster will a baytrail compile gentoo compared with jaguar of the same frequency? This is important.

>kickstarter
I was going to, but then I saw that. I'll take a look at it when it's actually shipping and on sale. "Alpha" releases are fucking cancer.

>I don't, however i use ESXi to virtualise pfSense. You'll have to install the tools, so you can all the functuality of pfSense running on a hypervisor

No shit. How does that help since you said you use one of the PCengines boxes op was talking about?

Like raspberry or arduino.

And where can you use that thing, i mean i know the posibilities of a independent hardware, but it has a specific use

>How much faster will a baytrail compile gentoo compared with jaguar of the same frequency? This is important.

Not that user but it's significantly faster. I built a few network devices out of C2758 CPU boards. They are amazing for routers. Probably not switches but that's super specialized. No measurable latency from software firewalls.

>but it has a specific use
What. It's basically the same as a Raspberry Pi or any other computer. You can do whatever with it. it has GPIO if you really want to do a specific task, but otherwise you can just set it up as a router or network appliance or small server.

>jaguarboard
>intel cpu
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>What. It's basically the same as a Raspberry Pi or any other computer. You can do whatever with it. it has GPIO if you really want to do a specific task, but otherwise you can just set it up as a router or network appliance or small server.

Don't forget they have encryption hardware added that puts them at least on par with Intel AES-NI equipped processors. They're great as basic routers with IPsec back to a more powerful device.

>T40E
It will barely do 100mbit with openvpn.
Get some proper x86 cpu with aes-ni like H81+G3900. Or just go for arm meme like orange pi plus2e

>they have encryption hardware added that puts them at least on par with Intel AES-NI equipped processors. They're great as basic routers with IPsec back to a more powerful device.
Does that accelerate SSH as well?

>51W
>desktop
>2 cores
I might as well get a fucking i5.

>Does that accelerate SSH as well?
Look at the hardware onboard. It does not accelerate all encryption. If you can get SSH to use a supported encryption method then yes it does.

you should also consider the power consumption. pc engines apu consumes about 6-10W, any celeron, pentium oder core cpu has got much more higher consumption.
i've got one act as a webserver and fileserver (with 2,5" s-ata hdd) and this thing is much more powerful than a banana pi m3 with 8 cores.
so far x86 > arm, sadly.

also look for used ones, not really cheap, but a little cheaper.

>also look for used ones, not really cheap, but a little cheaper.
I'm a huge metal fan of buying used industrial shit on ebay, but these ECC models are brand new so there won't be any used ones popping up for a while.

42$ cpu, 46$ h110 mobo, 27$ 8g ram, 10$ 32gb usb stick, some crappy cooler, psu and used dual nic. It will be faster, cheaper and will have better resell value.
>51W
Its barely above 35W. G3900T got 200mhz less and have 35W tdp.
Btw skylake have better perfomance per watt ratio and consume about 10W at idle (without psu losses).

>35W
>skylake consume about 10W at idle
watts?
>>watts the problem with a system that uses 80 watts?
I might as well get a Xeon and replace everything in my home with 1 machine. At

I want Intel marketing team to leave my Sup Forums