Should I buy a Smart TV or a regular TV with a streaming device instead?

Should I buy a Smart TV or a regular TV with a streaming device instead?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/dp/B013CQOSD8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Regular TV with a streaming device should save you some money. The issue is the panels in non-smart TVs tend not to be that good that good.

TV with streaming device. Always. Smart TV's tend to obsolete pretty quickly.

And what about the refresh rate? Would I be sacrificing a better refresh rate when I buy a regular no-smart TV set?

Smart TVs never get updates. Evento if you do get one because it's a better deal, get a streaming device like Chromecast anyways.

normal TV and a STB, easier to upgrade as you can upgrade at different times, and there's less compromises,
all TVs are 60hz, all those 200hz 600hz bullshite is just software which degrades the picture quality.

Good luck even finding a decent TV without the smart shit already built in. If you can though, do it. Smart TVs are the worst shit. Why do I need my TV to be like a fucking computer with its own OS and startup delay? They're pretty prone to bugging the fuck out too. It's a fucking TV, you just plug shit into it and it displays it. The end.

>all TVs are 60hz, all those 200hz 600hz bullshite is just software which degrades the picture quality.

Hahaha wat?

This guys a dumbass. Don't listen to him.

You can't buy a nice TV these days without smart features buy they're all security nightmares. Don't use them, just use a known good streaming device.

>He doesn't own a 2160p that can also do 1080p @120hz.

Fucking pleb.

Get both. WDTV live streaming device combined with Serviio dnla media server = mega win and I can play back almost any video/audio file without having to enable serviio's media transcode feature (which uses cpu/hdd space) or fool with having to re encode the video into a compatible format (which only leads to quality loss).

Videos look and playback very nice on my 65" samsung smart tv. Granted the WD interface is a little awkward but the audio/video format support makes up for it. Just select the video file and hit play. Easy as pie.

Smart TV's literally spy on you and Samsung even admitted it.

I've got one of these and the panel is definitely very ok after you adjust a couple settings, and the viewing angles are excellent, at least much better than my tn panel monitors and my other tvs amazon.com/dp/B013CQOSD8

and to answer ops question fuck smart tvs, just find a device you like that fits your needs
the fire tv stick and intel compute stick are good devices for $50 or less
you could get something more expensive like a zotac htpc or a custom htpc if you wanted

Regular TV/projector with x86 low-power PC.

why the fuck would you run a UHD TV at 1080p

Get a smart tv and brick it. Then throw ot in the trash and shoot yourself in the foot

My setup: Living Room (Samsung 65")
WDTV live media player connected via HDMI
Cable Box connected via HDMI
Philips auto component switcher via Component
Got my Dvd player and PS2 connected to the component switcher. Switcher supports 1080 and works on the fly (no remote needed), they don't make them anymore either.

Basement - Sanyo 27" HDTV Crt (1080I)
WDTV live media player via composite (tv don't got HDMI)

Well it seems like no-smart tv is good tv. Thanks everyone, I think I'm gonna save myself some benjamins.

Regular TV with one of those

SmartTV operating systems are shit

>Smart TV's literally spy on you and Samsung even admitted it.

LG and Vizio too.

I hope you're trolling. Practically TVs are 60Hz, they just have frame interpolation features that blend frames to make them seem more fluid. These features are shitty for gaming due to display lag. When you set your Sony Bravia to 120Hz, it's 60Hz, but there's some bullshit motion processing going on that makes it feel smoother. Do you really think your 24FPS Blu Ray has an additional 96 frames tucked away? The answer is no, at 24 FPS, which is standard for most video, theres 36 frames left to be blended with the next, meaning there is EASILY enough for a blended frame between each and then some.

TL;DR, you're the dumbass.

Fun fact: new high-end TVs only come with smart functionality

Get a plain old TV, get an Apple TV 4 too. Setup an SMB share, buy InFuse for your Apple TV and enjoy video playback without any kind of Plex server or whatever. ATV4 is powerful enough to decode its own audio and video and doesn't need to be spoon fed by a server. Also, get 32GB not 64GB. Apps are limited to 1GB each and must download additional resources as required, so unless you have 28 1GB apps, you'll be fine. Also, gaming is shit on ATV4, in fact its a pretty disappointing unit for anything other than Netflix and InFuse, maybe Plex if thats your thing, but InFuse will do what Plex does, better and with less shit required.

this
You have no choice OP

>Smart TV
Nowadays all TVs are smart, just dont use it and get Apple TV or a similar device instead.

Get a 40" 4k monitor like the wasabi mango and put a streaming device in it

I bought a 1080p LED non-smart last year, and coupled it with the Nvidia Shield Pro, am extremely satisfied with the combo.

My 2 cents.

The roku seems to be the best streaming device

>Smart TVs never get updates.
This. All the software on the smart TV will be slow, and this will only get worse over time. Plus the supported services are pretty limited.

Things like Roku have a very good selection and will have better support down the road. Same with Chromecast, which lets you stream plenty of apps, as well as anything on the internet if you download the Chrome extension. (This includes any locally stored video files that can play in the browser.)

>I hope you're trolling. Practically TVs are 60Hz, they just have frame interpolation features that blend frames to make them seem more fluid. These features are shitty for gaming due to display lag. When you set your Sony Bravia to 120Hz, it's 60Hz, but there's some bullshit motion processing going on that makes it feel smoother. Do you really think your 24FPS Blu Ray has an additional 96 frames tucked away? The answer is no, at 24 FPS, which is standard for most video, theres 36 frames left to be blended with the next, meaning there is EASILY enough for a blended frame between each and then some.
>TL;DR, you're the dumbass.

>doesn't know the difference between artificial frame rates and input framerates
>calls other people dumb

Jesus Christ you're a tard. The 1080p spec (1920x1080@60fps) only applies to native 1080p and displays operating in 1080p mode. There are plenty of displays that will accept input of higher framerates. ie 3D displays have to display 120 true hz for you to see a 60hz 3D picture, and be 1080p compliant. Almost all the greater than 1080p spec displays support higher input framerates, fucko.

Fellate yourself with a blender, please.

I have a Roku 3, Amazon Fire TV and a Samsung smart TV. You need to get the Roku, fucking everything is on there.

>2015
>plebs have tvs

my TV has a fuckhueg bezel and the words "HDTV" on it since it was a novelty back then.
but it's not a smart tv, i'm never throwing it out

if the capacitors blow out, I'll just replace them.

>It's a fucking TV, you just plug shit into it and it displays it. The end.

That's a monitor.

A TV is just a really shitty monitor with a digital terrestrial broadcast tuner.

yes

Regular TV and FireTV Stick and install kodi google kodi addons to find good addons to stream shit.

anyone with one of those mxq chink boxes? how are they? any wifi issues or anything?

Regular TV + Streaming box is the way to go.

Just don't try to use a console as a streaming box, those only get like the mainstream apps like Hulu and Netflix.

>dvd and ps2 connected
i hope you mean bluray player because the ps2 is a dvd player noob

Focus on getting a TV with a good panel and i/o. Smart is nice, but not at the expense of visual fidelity. I have a much of normal TVs with chromecasts and it's much more convenient and easy to work with than my friends' smart TVs.

I've had better luck with the Chromecast. The Roku doesn't seem to allow me to cast any content from non-approved sites, i.e. movie streaming sites, not just YouTube Netflix or Hulu. As long as you can access an HTML5 video player on the site, CC can stream it, as well as the usual stuff like Pandora, YouTube, amazon, Netflix, etc. Roku just seems very limiting.

Smart TV don't even have plex sometimes

Get a device. Apple has the best navigation. Amazon TV is also good.

in my livingroom i got my almost 6 year old LN32C450 32" Samsung TV with a few consoles, gaming PC, and a Chromecast hooked up to it. I also have an old Gateway laptop running Linnucks that i have things like Chrome, Videostream and Popcorntime running on to stream content to the Chromecast with. I have zero desire for a 4K TV or SmartTV.

they both deprecate at similar rates so it doesn't matter anyway

There's no such thing as a high end dumb TV. You are pretty much forced to buy a smart TV.

best smart TVS are the new sonys: they run full android, and can be rooted