Which OS & why, Sup Forums?

Hello Sup Forums! Which OS do you use and why? Name at least 2 points you like about your OS of choice, and perhaps one thing you'd wish to be improved. Personally, I use Arch Linux, as I like the 'freedom' element and building an OS from scratch, and it is very lightweight without going over the top, looking at you, Gentoo.

Other urls found in this thread:

cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Debian Linux, because it's easy enough for an idiot like me to install/use and it comes with minimal garbage (unless you select the garbage during installation). One thing I wish would be improved is hardware support. Too often I have to search far and wide to get the drivers I need for some device or another. Usually networking.

>is very lightweight
unlike the user

time to lose some weight and become a superior /gentoo/man

PAJEET MY SON
A O
J S
E
E Y
T M

M T
Y E
E
S J
O A
NOS YM TEEJAP

In all seriousness, I use Arch Linux.

Arch Linux

Minimal
Freedom

Doesn't break often, but when it does it's usually fatal, but that's probably my fault

Thank me latter.

cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/

Praise Murdock

I love that every time I turn around, Debian has gotten a little bit friendlier toward us idiots.

SLEEP TIGHT MURDOCK
BLESS HIS SOUL IN THE NAME OF GNU / EMACS

Ubuntu 15.04 because a retard like me can use it. Plus I hate Windows
Been learning bash steadily but always have the GUI to fall back on.
Lots of support on the internet.
The fucking keyboard layout keeps changing from UK to US though and I'm too lazy and illiterate to fix it.

>Falling for the Linux meme
>Not using Windows 10

>using windows 10 in 2016
you kidding me?

>I use Arch Linux, as I like the 'freedom' element and building an OS from scratch, and it is very lightweight without going over the top,
You're what's wrong with arch linux. Too many noobs use arch nowadays shitting up the forums.

arch linux does not give users freedom. gentoo gives you freedom. arch does not. if you don't want to use systemd your system will break. if you don't want to use glibc your system will break. there is only one endorsed configuration of arch linux.

arch does not allow you to build things yourself. all you can do is follow the exact steps given to use by the manual. if you stray from the path, your system will break. you seem to confuse not having an installer with having more choice than one would have with an installer.

arch is not lightweight. the base install is larger than a debian base install.

in conclusion: you're just a moron that repeats the shit other morons say. you should stop using arch linux at once.

I use Windows 10 and Ubuntu 16.04.
Thinking to switch for Debian 8

>hating on Windows 10 meme

Please execute yourself

Isn't windows 10 a confirmed botnet?

fuck off

It is. Ignore the retard.

>not using the most stable OS ever.
YOU KIDDING ME?

arch linux because it lets you choose every part of the system and configure it and the packages come with debug symbols by default (something necessary in what I do)

>windows
>stable
kek

so are OSX and every linux distro out there thats running selinux and systemd

Aggressive, but right.

arch because
>god fucking tier package manager. going to debian based is a nightmare after using pacman.
>AUR so you dont have to shit around for an hour to install a less popular package that is not in official repos
reason enought to use it. Also documentation is too good

>arch base install 0.5GB
>debian netinstall WITHOUT BASE SYSTEM UTILITIES 1gb
what the fuck is wrong with you?

Debian GNU/Linux is far more stable. Would you like to make a bet?

I dualboot:

Xubuntu

- It benefits from the ubiquity of Ubuntu (which is a more user/noob friendly Debian) without the obnoxious DE
- Xfce (Xubuntu's DE) is really nice balance of form and function. They made it look very pleasant without going overboard with the flashy animations and transparent windows like KDE. It's also quite customizable, without being to complicated.

Windows 7

- (Arguably) the best of the modern Windows OSes. Windows 8.1 doesn't do anything that Win7 can't, and has an inferior interface. Win10 is (at least at the moment) a mess.
- For better or for worse, the world runs on Windows. Thus, finding software is no trouble.
- Aero is pretty.

64bit arch base install is almost 800mb.

t. Installed arch last night

All of my this

I need a distro thats low maintenance and just werks. I'm on an x220 running windows 7 atm. Mostly going to use it for school work, and programming.

Both SELinux and systemd are open source so feel free to link me to the botnet code.

>I like the 'freedom' element and building an OS from scratch
Then why aren't you using Linux From Scratch? Too much freedom to handle? :^)

Fedora

>package manager
>works

Kernel: linux 4.6.2
WM: i3-gaps

>simple to use
>faster than windows
>have desktop for windows

My Chromebook runs Funtoo and my main PC also.

>Installed arch last night
So did I

>64bit arch base install is almost 800mb
Can confirm

systemdick is replaceable depending on your distro. selinux aka nsa is an inferior choice you can do without because pax/grsecurity is a thing.

>Which OS do you use and why?
Ubuntu

It just fucking werks. I got tired of getting my anus pounded by the almighty Microshaft every day when I don't even play video games. Ubuntu is easy to install and maintain. If I don't understand how to do something I can Google it and solve my problem in 10 minutes or less. Updates are simple. Has support for nearly everything and wine usually works well for windows only programs. Also moving the stupid unity launcher to the bottom makes it feel exactly like the windows taskbar I'm used to. Gparted is much easier to use than disk management or diskpart in windows. Also, fuck control panel. Linux settings are so much easier and the layout actually makes some goddamn sense.

Arch linux.
Pros: wiki, pacman, AUR, ricing
Cons: It's arch linux, ricing

selinux and gresecurity are completely different things you fucking idiot.

debian minimal is like 600mb iirc

GNU/Linux
Free as in freedom
A usually free as in free beer

gentoo because i'm more intelli/g/ent than 99% of Sup Forums users.

Arch
-AUR has most of the packages you need
-Less autistic than Gentoo, objectively better than Ubuntu 16.04, mint

Fedora 23

>free as in freedom
>being a slave to your config files

also

>GPL-Based
>Free

Okay...

Win10 because i need modern apps for my job and shit

On the side I got Xubuntu for my linux shit. (Might do Arch on a MiniPC as a Media Server & Docker Box i haven't decided though. love it on my rPi)

Win95 on my retro rig
WinXP (Customized with nLite) on another old machine
Win2K (Customized with nLite) on an older machine than that...

>Why old machines
(Win95) - I wanted to get in to dat phat OPL sound [Purchase = $20 whole system]

(WinXP) - Dad's old work machine, Nuked it, Installed XP Custom, it's great for when my niece & nephew want to play some more kid friendly vidya and i want that old game aesthetic

(Win 2k) Free Laptop - Figured i was gonna use it for something or trash it so....

Personally i just love that Win2k Resource usage and Aesthetic.... It's something we'll never see again sadly...

Sorry, I'm a casual, so I just use Windows 10, "upgraded" from Windows 7. I like to play games and for all other general purposes, Windows just does what I need it to do.
I upgraded because my OS was crashing quite a lot and the boot-up time was taking several minutes.

Arch
>AUR support
>Reliable wiki

user, you can pretty much rice any linux distro. I know a lot of the wiki for Arch is for ricing or something related to ricing, but still you can do the same you are showing in your picture on a different distro.

>I'm an idiot that can't read