What went wrong?

What went wrong?

meme company in a meme bubble in a meme valley burst

Nothing went wrong. For something to go wrong something must've gone right before. That never happened.

Nice meme

Hewlett Packard

Purchased DEC, company got too large and lost direction without proper leadership

They made garbage

Why do you think HP killed off their server/business lines for Compaq's products?

Hint: they were pretty damn good

HP killed them because they aren't as profitable. Businessmen don't follow technology very quick. Most people I know from the profession use laptops from 5 years ago at least. Compaq made good ones sure but not that good as to be called a good company.

They killed the brand, but all the ProLiant servers and EliteBooks you see in offices are still designed in Texas by what used to be Compaq.

>used to be
So I stand corrected. Something went wrong.

Compaq used to be known for quality, and in the 90s, they couldn't compete when the prices of PCs started dropping. They ended up cutting costs and trying to move in to the more profitable enterprise business by buying DEC, who used to be fucking massive before the rot set in and the company started declining in the 90s.

Buying huge companies is a risk, if it's not done properly then it all goes to shit. They couldn't make it work. Compaq started declining, HP ends up buying them thanks to Carly Fiorina. She couldn't make the Compaq merger work and that's the reason why HP split in half a year ago.

/thread

> What went wrong?

Gateway waxed that ass.

Compaq itself, nothing. The problems were with HP

HP was fucking great pre-Compaq, and everything you hate about it now is all Compaq's lineage.

Shut the fuck up, both of you. Both of them were absolutely shit, and you would know if you ever had to upgrade any of their shit from the 90's. Even just adding a single RAM stick required disassembling the entire fucking computer, not even exaggerating.

Boo fucking hoo, you had to remove a screw or two once every two years.

I collect HP and Compaq shit from the '90s, working on them can be annoying, but not difficult, nor frequent enough that it's really a problem. I absolutely love my Vectras, my pre-1996 Deskpros too.

1997 was really around the time that both of them started becoming shittier though, there were still good products, but they were mired in trashy consumer shit and business versions of trashy consumer shit on all sides.

>take off all side panels
>remove front panels
>remove and disconnect hdd that's blocking the motherboard
>remove and disconnect cd drive that's blocking the motherboard
>remove and disconnect floppy that's blocking the motherboard
>disconnect all power cables
>remove PSU that's blocking the motherboard
>unplug all motherboard jumper switches
>unscrew motherboard mounts
>remove entire fucking motherboard
>to plug in a new ram stick into the slot that was completely blocked by the PSU
>one or two screws

Yeah no, fuck that. This is why we switched to all Dell machines by the end of 99. They at least know how to fucking design internals.

What model even /was/ that? Some tiny small form factor Presario/Pavilion? Those were cramped shit no matter who you bought them from, and not really a problem with their human-sized offerings, my Deskpro 4000 and Vectra XU 6 stick their RAM under the drive bays but there's plenty of space to pop in an SIMM, drives are generally pretty easy to get to, as are expansion slots, which are really what matters more so than a one-time RAM upgrade.

Besides, that sounds pretty standard for just about fucking anything back then, try working on "good old" standard AT compatible whiteboxes again some time, they're no fucking better.

I had one of these, it couldn't even handle left4dead.

Used it in school all the time. Shit was so cash.

I wanted that one so bad when I was in middle school.

HP bought it.

Heh, seems the trend is going back to cramped small cases now. Saw a dell at work other day that the damn case looked to be about the size of a hardcover book, maybe a bit bigger that that but not by much. Wasn't all that thick either.

I had mine for 2 years before getting an Acer netbook with one of those first gen atoms and windows xp.

Loved that 10 inch form factor, but the performance drop made in nearly unbearable to use

ink jews kicked out all their scientists