What to do with your own server? I'm using ubuntu server atm and running ts3 server on it...

What to do with your own server? I'm using ubuntu server atm and running ts3 server on it, but don't know what else to do with it.

Other urls found in this thread:

dy.fi/nic/update?hostname=omaosoite.dy.fi
wiki.ubuntu-fi.org/Dynaaminen_DNS
github.com/Kickball/awesome-selfhosted
codecanyon.net/item/advanced-file-management/61693
owncloud.org/
fortune.com/2016/06/03/what-happened-to-owncloud/
techknight.eu/2016/06/15/setup-nextcloud-ubuntu/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You can stick it up your butt.

Don't buy shit if you don't know what you're going to do with it.

It was just my very old computer which was laying in storage.

>ts3

Make it into a torrent seeding box and set it to only seed when you're sleeping.

Build and host a website if you've got a static IP

you buy a server to run something that you need, not the other way around.

if you really want to put it to use though, turn it into a torrent seedbox and run a dlna server on it.

I've got my own dynamic dns Finns got really good free one: dy.fi

typical linux home server can be used for:
routing (i.e. replace your router)
dhcpd
dns
webserver
fileserver
vpn/proxy
etc.

You don't really need a static IP anymore; the standard 'dynamic' that you get rarely changes unless you unplug your modem for an extended amount of time
I use route53 for public dns (AWS) and if my home IP changes I just go in and update it and it's fine almost instantaneously

or you could host a ddns client on your home server that automatically updates it on your nameserver

I'm using this: dy.fi as my dynamic dns

I run a bunch of game servers for fucking around on with my friends
I'd also run some other services, but those are better run on my VPS, since it's got a much better uplink than my home connection.

I use a machine on my network as a VPN server, media server (Plex), and seedbox. I also have a (remote) dedi that I use as a high-capacity seedbox and H@H client, and I'm looking into hosting a website on it. I could also probably use it as a Mumble server.

In the future I'd like to set up a more powerful local server with a ton of RAID storage to act as a dedicated media server, seedbox, local backup, and "cloud" file server.

at some point when I stop being lazy I'm just going to write a script to watch my public IP and use the AWS API to update my zone when it changes

I'm pretty lazy tho

My home connection is fairly good.

Im using this on contab to check my ip once a day and keep my .dy.fi ending address.

00 */3 * * * wget --delete-after --no-check-certificate --no-proxy --user=käyttäjätunnus --password=salasana dy.fi/nic/update?hostname=omaosoite.dy.fi

fuggg

the one downside with my home connection is the upload speed - I serve my software library on it but downloading over the public net is way fucking slow

ruh roh

iktf, ive got about a hundred "scripts" ive been meaning to write

>Password

finland...

change your password m8

DELETE THIS

>symmetrical
you lucky fucker

comcast jewed me, for some reason I'm not getting the 130/12 I normally get

It's just example not the real ones I'm using.

salasana=password
oma osoite=own address

gotta admit, i gave it a try

nice repeating digits btw

it's just the other plebs in the house are streaming shit

*/3

Means that it checks once in three hours you can set your own number there.

Host a Quake 3 or UT99 server

I always start some new project, generally programming something, spend a weekend or two on it getting it to a pretty advanced prototype / proof of concept and then never touch it again

idk wtf is wrong with me

I started writing a website in express js to stream my music library from anywhere and it basically works but is not anywhere near a finished product
I dropped it to play around with writing golang and haven't touched it since

i know how cron jobs work pleb
i was talking about 1717

This guide is in Finnish but I think it's fairly easy to follow and you can use google translate: wiki.ubuntu-fi.org/Dynaaminen_DNS

ah well that's good

good example, but if I did it I'd probably try to write it as it's own service, maybe in go since I've been playing with it lately

sudo apt-get install lxc
github.com/Kickball/awesome-selfhosted

you fucks wouldn't know what to do with this list anyways.

WhY?

Use mumble instead

Mumble is shit though and horrible ui.

Use it to learn.
Start hosting your own website.
Build a controlling application for Arduinos or Raspberry Pis.

Nice ideas next project is that I make my own shitty website.

Is there some kind of template for filesharing website which is behind password? Where I can send files and my friends and then also download them?

codecanyon.net/item/advanced-file-management/61693

Maybe I try to do this.

owncloud.org/

Any experiences about this? I was thinking about to make this so me and my friends can use it.

Decent shit, but if you plan to set one up you might as well go nextcloud now.

>nextcloud
It's better? I will setup this thing today. Very hyped atm because found another purpose for my own server.

there's a political split between owncloud and nextcloud. it's just happened and it's still unclear which one to place your bet on

Make it send a packet that just says "niggers" to every IP in the world over and over until your ISP bans you.

fortune.com/2016/06/03/what-happened-to-owncloud/
>June 3, 2016,
>Why Did File Sharing Startup OwnCloud Shut Down?

So owncloud is kill?

no, only their commercial version is kill

why would you not go to the freer one?

probably only one of them will get all the devs and live on in the end. I'm not sure which one that'll be

Nextcloud mobile app is free and owncloud costs 0,8€ so I think I go with nextcloud.

maybe the one where all the devs moved to?

hint, that's nextcloud.

techknight.eu/2016/06/15/setup-nextcloud-ubuntu/

Is this legit guide to install nextcloud?

yeah, no repos up for it yet.