When did you last use your DVD drive Sup Forums?

When did you last use your DVD drive Sup Forums?

earlier today to burn some dvd movies for a family member

a few days ago to burn an audio cd for my car

this

I don't even own one anymore.

Several years ago.

How long until they disappear completely?

I say 2-5 years.

Probably a year ago, but for some reason I can't NOT have one
And I sell computers, so I really should know better.

A few days ago when I burnt a copy of windows 10 for friend.

Earlier today to play a region 1 dvd for my kid

When I installed Windows, so like 7 years ago. I don't even think it works anymore, though. I tried popping in a DVD a few weeks ago and the drive said there was no disc inserted.

Some days ago.

Inb4
>i dont need one so why do other peoplehave different needs than mee

are there any inexpensive exnlocsures to turn an internal optical drive into an external one ?

The cases I am looking at lack external bays, but I can't just get rid of the drive.

i had to connect mine to my case to copy visual basic from a DVD because my cousins laptop wouldnt read the DVD for some fucking reason
i officially last stopped using them like 4 years ago.

Do Blu-Ray drives count? I used mine to watch that bank heist movie Heat on my second monitor while I was working on making some Win7 and Win8.1 USB installers.

Probably about a year and a half ago, when I was ripping some music off a CD. I ordered another CD not too long ago, so I'll be using it again soon.

The use cases for optical drives are VERY limited these days. They're pretty much only good for ripping CDs and Blu-Rays.

I use it about once every 6 months.

Last year desu

>They're pretty much only good for ripping CDs and Blu-Rays.

Sometimes I want to give people something and not worry about getting it back, discs are great for this.

Also, I still occasionally make mp3 discs for my car.

I'm going to guess 2006

Honestly, I should probably start doing this seeing as I hit my data cap usually about a week or two after paying my bill.

used one literally less than 24 hours ago

burned pfsense for an older dell optiplex

Yesterday, to check some untitled disc with my personal photos in it, oh and some driver disk.

Im just lazy to look for the links, sometimes poping in the cd is faster than search and download the right version on the web.

Inb4 weak google-fu, no. Im just lazy and the web is a mess of hosting sites.

>Sometimes I want to give people something and not worry about getting it back, discs are great for this.
It's ridiculously easy to give people shit over the internet, even to 'normies', these days.
>Also, I still occasionally make mp3 discs for my car.
Buy a stereo head unit that doesn't suck ass and has an aux input.

I do not own one

Burned Shenmue and a bunch of PS2 games a few weeks ago

>Buy a stereo head unit that doesn't suck ass and has an aux input.
are you 16 ?

The stereo is fine, it has an aux in too.
But maybe I don't want to be fumbling around with an mp3/cellphone in my hand while I drive.

>normies

Like normies even know how short bit links works, ive had clients or people who cant even enter the web addresses correctly, and they're at their 30s.

Disc is still important like it or not, dying ? No, declining for mass usage ? Maybe. Until we have something that can replace or doesn't fail when the internet is down , cds is here to stay.

I don't have one in my PC. I've never used the one in my laptop. Optical media is deprecated.

We're already phasing them out at work. We've got around 2000 PCs without an optical drive now. It's nice because we can use smaller form factor PCs when you don't need a massive 5.25" drive in place.

>Not having the volume buttons be "next song" when your phone's screen is off
Enjoy being limited amount of music.

>Until we have something that can replace or doesn't fail when the internet is down , cds is here to stay.
Have you ever heard of a USB flash drive?

ITT

W7 install

Yesterday. I burnt my friend a recovery disc.

July 2013 when I installed Windows 7 on my computer. I didn't even put the drive inside the case. I had to borrow the drive from a friend, I don't even own one.

To install Windows 10.

I actually don't have enough SATA cables, so I took one off of a secondary hard drive, plugged in the DVD drive to install Windows, and swapped the cable back to the hard drive.

I still have the drive in my case, but its not plugged in... ;_;

Its been years.
None of my computers even have cdrom drives anymore.

SATA cables aren't too expensive, user... Unless you're one of those people who has to have everything color matching that is. In which case, you're doing this to yourself

2009 or so
>implying even have a DVD drive

>data cap

a few weeks ago but it spontaneously died during a backup and wouldn't read any discs so I trashed it and haven't bothered ordering a new one. probably won't do it.

>not having an OD

this meme...

Same here. After some thought I even replaced my laptop cdrom drive with a ssd cady and put in a sandisk ssd plus about a year ago. Last time I used the cdrom drive was like in 2012 when I bought some animu I could not torrent anywhere.

So you give out free usb flash drive as disposable media transport to your 10k clients ?
Wow thats generous of you, i bet your boss is a generous person.

Please don't tell me your clients will bring everything back the way it was let alone bringing back the item you handed out.

What the fuck do you use it for gramps? I download all my vydia and animu through something they call "the internet".

>10k clients
Wow, what a normal use case that everybody can relate to.
Are you seriously going to spend the money on 10,000 CDs when you can host that shit online for virtually nothing?

Stop strawmanning, you fucking retard. When did anybody bring up businesses?
Even then, most consumer shit doesn't come on CDs anymore either.

I dont use an internal dvd drive but,
I have an external dvd drive i keep for purposes said above, but heck baby, you guys still install windows via cd ? Ive been booting install via flash drive since 200X.

Man you guys are wrong in a strange way.

Yes you can get one for 30$ off of amazon.

Just get a USB optical drive for like $10. They're much smaller and thinner than stuffing a 5.25" drive into an enclosure.

Hosting is confirmed to be one, a cd for devices as a backup media is a must. Stop moving the goal post, if internet is not an option for third world pajeets or dindu , how are you gonna get the stuff to them ?
Last i checked motherboard still provides cd for drivers, even a simple gigabit card. Not to mention enterprises.

Again, if you have no pajeet or dindu clients, good for you.

I don't own any. Only use I could ever see for one is copying a storage bin full of CDs but most of it already is done. If I needed to do that, I would buy a USB one.

And you continue with your fucking straw man.

>Using optical media to distribute data to 10k customers.
Did you work for AOL in the 90's?

200 years ago

i'm almost done cracking your tripcode & makin dat vein pop in your head boy

holy shit someone actually cracked it!

A few days ago to burn an OS installer
A few days before that to burn a Dreamcast game

I use it at least once a week

Good luck with that, I'll just change it.

I burn backups to disc now and then.

I own the drive so there's really no reason not to have it installed, even if I didn't use it.

No, not in the 90s but 20s.
Face it, aa long cd still comes with motherboards. My point stands firm.

Funnily enough I was rebuilding my PC a few hours ago (tidying up cables and shit) and was seriously thinking about leaving the optical drive out, but decided it's better to have one in there incase.

You dont "need" to have one in there, you need it but not IN it.

You dont want its pcb fails in a sudden and then your pc wont boot into OS and scratching your ass figuring out what happened.

Buy an external case , slap it in. If the drive is no longer needed you can use it as a ext hdd drive.

A few weeks ago to burn an acronis ISO

Those CDs are just 90% bloat. You can find everything you actaully need on the motherboard manufacturer's website.
Even then, if you're using GNU/Linux, most of the shit you need is pre-installed.

tfw mine doesnt work all the time and came reigion locked to usa

i might just remove it desu because i dont use it

>bloat

Doesn't change the fact i mentioned above. Read

Also why dont you guys suggest oem or professional software manufacturers to stop sending barely useful 90% bloat disc with 10% driver.

When they stop, i gladly stop.

Current burning a Blu-ray at this moment, all the 1080p rips of TRON:Uprising for safe keeping with PAR files as well.

Optical is still the most cost effective storage for me overall. Sure I could get a bunch of hard drives and lose fucking terabytes at a time when they go bad. With optical media, the most I'll lose at any given time is about 22GB since that's the most I'll put on a BD single layer disc anyway and part of that is always the PAR files for recovery (7.5%).

Haven't lost a bit of data on CD/DVD and now Blu-ray for the past 15 years with this strategy, not one fucking bit of information but I have most definitely had hard drives just give up the ghost at a moment's notice where hundreds of gigs of data are wiped out - luckily the really really important stuff is on optical media for storage, it was left on the hard drive(s) for regular use.

Big hard drives are nice, sure, even big SSDs are nice but, the idea of losing that much data in a split second, nope, I won't go for that.

>cost effective

Damn right about that, in terms of storage and operational costs and maintain cost its cheaper and less risky compare to hdd or even ssd. Its not like i wanna access the files 24/7, else i wont store in dvd/bd

Inb4 user saya its not viable for their music and videos.

Do it with a USB-Stick

>for an older computer
Maybe it doesn't support booting from USB.

to burn ubuntu and win10 to cd

I have a combo DVD/HDDVD/BDROM SATA drive that I'm currently using now to rip the last of my HDDVD's.

Couple days ago to burn Red Hat 5.1 installation media for an old PPro I was messing with.

Firing it up again later probably for OS X 10.4 or 10.3.

Yesterday because I found an old Massive Attack CD in the basement, but before that, couple months.

>Buy a stereo head unit that doesn't suck ass and has an aux input.
>wasting hundreds fucking up my clean stock interior with a nigger rigged non-matching ricer shit head unit because optical media isn't trendy enough for some tech hipster on the internet anymore
Nah, I'm fine with burning a CD once every two months, thanks.

I played Oregon Trail yesterday.
So.
I mean.
Yesterday.

Was it at least Mezzanine? Also, why not just download it?

Because he could just pop the fucking CD in his fucking optical drive, install it and play it right that moment?

how do you troubleshoot windows without a cd? i mean you have windows 10 sitting right there, not being used, thanks to no OD...

No, I mean if he liked the band, why did he not already have it on his computer?

I'm using it to play my ps2 games at 1080p, pretty comfy.

I use it fairly regularly. I have a BD drive for ripping movies in high quality, and I burn most GNU/Linux isos I install so that I have an archive of them.

Tastes change, but it doesn't mean you can't dig up a CD now and again that you used to like and still enjoy listening to it.

I'm using mine right now to copy a bunch of movies to my server

Twas Mezzanine! I forgot I even had it...

one minute ago ripping some dvds

About two years ago, if I'm not mistaken.

Burning CDs is very important for adults who need to keep important bills, photos and other documents. Trusting hard drives is retarded. BUYING dozens of hard drives for multiple backups is retarded too.

it arrived yesterday, I'm rebuilding my rig sometime this week

shall be used for burning PS2 games

You just need 1 backup you fool. Hard disk comes in 8TB these days. There are also cloud backup services like Crashplan.
Trusting CDs to not rot is also more retarded. Enjoy your illusion of backups until you finally check the CDs to find that 50% have rotted away.

10 years ago, who the fuck still uses this outdated shit

>like 4 months ago

I don't have a DVD drive in none of my three desktop computers, but I still have one in my sandy bridge Latitude, which was godsend when I needed to hand in my coursework last semester in print AND CD for whatever retarded reason.

TL:DR they still sort of have a place

burned a 360 game

Some weeks ago because I couldnt get seatools to boot from a usb.

People who use
>old consoles
>computers that don't support USB booting
>etc.

me

I can't remember. It was at least the last incarnation of my computer, because I can't even use it now with my IDE-less mobo. It now sits in the case unplugged because I'd have nothing to put in the empty slot

>look kids, someone that doesn't know what an M-DISC is
>look at him, look at him and laugh

2010, or thereabouts.

>You just need 1 backup
>calling others fools