AMD's Linux drivers are notoriously crappy, yet Sup Forums is hyped for the RX 480's release...

AMD's Linux drivers are notoriously crappy, yet Sup Forums is hyped for the RX 480's release. Is there any reason to believe the RX 480 will have better Linux support than previous AMD cards?

Other urls found in this thread:

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amdgpu-gtx-1080&num=1
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux-47-kernel&num=1
lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dri-devel/2016-March/103398.html
cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/linux/log/?h=drm-next-4.8-wip-dal
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Sup Forums is not hyped about the 480, it's just one autist spamming 480 threads constantly

Sup Forums does not use linux, it's just one autist spamming linux threads constantly

not sure which one is more true

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amdgpu-gtx-1080&num=1

They have dumped fglrx and switched to AMDGPU-PRO which will be used for Polaris but overall it looks still subpar.

its the same as DX12 AMD shilling even though they hate on W10.

And same free as in freedom freesync shilling even though AMD has no freedom linux drivers.

Sup Forums is a weird place

Nvidia's open source Linux drivers are even worse than AMD's. Only their closed source, proprietary driver performs well. Why is Sup Forums supporting software that doesn't respect their freedoms?

If u buy amd ura edgy hipster

nouveau has always worked for me f᠎am

AMD's Linux drivers have been getting much better, actually. They're open sourcing larger and larger portions of their driver and seriously improving it. Their pre-GCN drivers are still shit, but they're starting to take things seriously with the AMDGPU-PRO stack.

Nvidia just has really good closed-source drivers and AMD hadn't tried to compete in that space until now.

You havn't tried the AMDGPU-PRO have you?

It's like a mix between the performance of nvidias closed source driver while being open source. It's wonderfull.

I wish AMDGPU drivers worked with the 280x

To piggyback of this topic, I ordered a R9 390 the other day for ~$230 (my GPU died couple weeks ago, can't wait for RX 480 to hit shelves), but cancelled it after reading some driver horror stories. I dual boot Win7 and Xubuntu, and really need a card that works well with both.

Did I do good?

>what's gpu pass through.

Big fucking waste of time.

retarded question, but how many 1080p monitors can a 480 run. Might as well get one, but i want to have at least 4 off of one card if possible (will settle for 3)

Getting about 95% performance of running w10 full install, without needing to dualboot isn't wast of time.

I Don't Fucking Know Man Why Not Try Counting The Number Of Display Ports On The Front Of The Card

Why are you running linux in the first place if you can't have proper linux drivers? You may as well run linux as a guest under windows.

Windows belong to a networkless VM

We have proper Linux drivers with some performance loss, however you still can get similar running a vm. Why would I want to run a literally botnet as a driver when i have no reason to do so?

Daily driver*
Sorry for that buzzword.

>Windows belong to a networkless VM
What's the purpose for GPU passthrough then? Sure can't gaym for shit without connection.

>do asstrickery to just to run windows
>complain about botnet

Gamers belong to

Please post driver horror stories, because I just bought a 390 to upgrade from my 270x which has worked fine for the past two years without a single hitch. I don't run linux though.

Because the only thing I use Windows for is games, after Im done gaming I shutdown the VM and continue on where I left off.

what exactly do you guys mean by bad drivers? bad in what way? just performance loss in games or anything critical like less features?

Would the HD 6950 be pre-GCN?

There is 0 reason for GPU passthorugh if you are not gayming genius. A huge waste of time.

You may as well use linux VM fulltime under Windows when you are not gaming.

Yes

GCN started with 7770+ series I believe

>gayming genius
What oxymoron is this term?

GPU passthrough is required for hardware acceleration

AMDGPU nigga

>
>There is 0 reason for GPU passthorugh if you are not gayming genius. A huge waste of time.
No need to be a genius I just want to use my hardware properly wtf. Streamers etc are better served with a full botnet install sure.
>
>You may as well use linux VM fulltime under Windows when you are not gaming.
Now this is stupid and the opposite of what I wanted to achieve with Linux in the first place.

Because it's the only driver that actually remotely works

t. opengl dev

>95%
>Set it up
>Well I guess I'll have to use my integrated graphics with literally everything else
>switching inputs being a pain in the ass
>takes almost a whole minute to boot into windows
>try unigine demo (usually 30fps on windows for the first scene)
>drops to 5 every few seconds

Yeah. No. Took me some time and never again.

>gayming , genius
Here take your comma.

>GPU passthrough is required for hardware acceleration
Hardware accelerated 3d graphics. Run windows as a host instead.

>use my hardware properly
You are dedicating your GPU just for a VM and not utilizing its power for Linux.

>Now this is stupid and the opposite of what I wanted to achieve with Linux in the first place.
Yes, you can't let Windows go and wasting your time with tricks

>Run windows as a host instead
No, I'd rather not use a piece of shit spyware OS with no bash or choice of DE

You might be surprised but Linux users are simply very vocal minority. They won't have any problems with the newest cards because they don't have money to buy them.

>$200 burger bucks
>""""Money""""

Bad as in "doesn't work at all" way.

You expect people with ten year old ThinkPads to have spare $200?

>I'd rather not use a piece of shit spyware OS
Great! No need to waste your time then, just not use Windows.

Not wasting your money on macbooks doesn't mean you don't have money.

If your mommy doesn't pay your bills you'd be surprised to know how easy it is to have more than $200 as a spare.
Just save on the weekend drinks

You lack reading comprehension, don't you. Go see a doctor or take special classes.

>I don't run linux though.
And that's why you didn't have any issues. The horror stories are all about Linux compatibility.

I'm not the one accusing Windows being botnet and trying it use it anyway with gpu pass tricks, lad.

d-dont lie to me, user ;_;

You do lack reading comprehension.

God I hate summer

AMDGPU is at par with fglrx right now, if not better.

>Linux
>gaming

Pick one

Don't sweat it hard.

You will have to wait till kernel 4.7 drops to use the rx480.

fglrx uses AMDGPU you idiot

Yeah because full embrace of the botnet is better than only using shitware when needed.

I hope it's easy enough for you this time

AMD cards for the last several years have supported something like 6 displays per card, but you have to use an external DisplayPort MST hub if you want to use more than the 3/4/5/whatever ports on the card.

>durr hurr

>Hardware accelerated 3d graphics
Yes, this is why GPU passthrough is needed. Any else, underage retard?

Are you pretending to be retarded and claim not using windows now?

Ran out of arguments?

Too easy. Now take your salt somewhere else

are you an AI?
it's kinda funny to see you reply to him without any context at all
it's like you have a list of replies

Don't try too hard, champ.

It's okay, every newfags get "bullied" one day. Just close this tab and pretend it never happened

Do AMD cards cause the same screen tearing that Nvidia cards are known for under Linux while attempting video playback?

Context is there are a bunch lads want to use windows under a vm and pretend they are safe from botnet when they don't use it as a host.

You are taking it too hard , don't be sour.

>a list of replies
He's just getting his butt drilled. Sit back and watch

Still here, I see. Don't you have your manchild games to play?

Personally, I only got unfixable screen tearing when using AMD. On nvidia drivers, I can force it to sync to the right display device in the settings.

Unlike you I don't use Windows.

On FOSS AMD drivers?

No, fglrx. I never bothered with the FOSS drivers since they were much too slow. This was before AMDGPU though.

Yeah fglrx tear like fuck unfortunately.

I'm inclined to think the latter since *nix 'tards have been spamming it on Sup Forums since Sup Forums was created.

you're never safe as long as you're connected to the internet, but running in a vm makes you significantly safer.
i don't think that's the point though, they want to do their regular work in linux and have full access to the hardware but also play video games in windows occasionally without having to close applications etc. in linux

>have full access to the hardware
If you are dedicating gpu passt. to vm you won't be using that card for linux

VGA passthrough only reaches the directed PCI device, nothing else.

Still with the arbitrary answers...
I never said it's not dedicated to anything, the point is to have full access to the hardware. Hardware being more than just a GPU.

>Still with the arbitrary answers...
You may want to look at the OP post again. GPU passt. is not an alternative for not having proper linux drivers, because you won't be using that at all for linux.

It doesn't. fglrx is the old kernel driver, amdgpu is the new one.

This. I'm pretty sure that it will improve a lot though.

That's bullshit. Mesa works perfectly fine, it's just a bit slower (though starting to catch up a lot in perf)

Because currently running a 270x, and if the performs claims are true, the relative improvement will still bring it to somewhere between the 960 and 970 performance level, and because running an open graphics stack just makes some things easier

On FOSS drivers you have the TearFree xorg.conf option which works well.

>It doesn't. fglrx is the old kernel driver, amdgpu is the new one.
AMDGPU is just the in-kernel hardware stub, which is used by both the free GL drivers (mesa+radeon) *and* the proprietary GL drivers (fglrx).

Most (i.e. the vast majority) of the AMD driver code is still proprietary, although AMD published large parts of the source and has been trying to merge it into the Linux kernel - the Linux kernel devs just don't want their shit code. (It's over 80,000 lines of bloat, hacky abstractions, middle layers and other garbage)

Finally, the most important component is the AMD OpenGL implementation, including the GLSL compiler, and that is still closed source. (But you can use free opengl implementations like mesa as a replacement.

>On FOSS drivers you have the TearFree xorg.conf option which works well.
Except that it doesn't. It introduces shittons of display lag and can also force your refresh rate down to 30 Hz. It's pretty terrible, I had to turn it right off again.

For me, the only solution to AMD frame tearing was buying an nvidia card, as sad as it sounds.

Sorry, I take that back. I missed that you were talking about the FOSS drivers.

I was talking about the “TearFree” option in the proprietary (fglrx) driver options.

Yeah, no. They just added over 200k lines of code.

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux-47-kernel&num=1

>AMDGPU is just the in-kernel hardware stub, which is used by both the free GL drivers

Yes.

>*and* the proprietary GL drivers (fglrx).

No. You're confusing Catalyst and fglrx. fglrx is their old kernel driver, while the Catalyst driver is the userspace GL implementation + display driver etc.

>Most (i.e. the vast majority) of the AMD driver code is still proprietary,

That's true.

>although AMD published large parts of the source and has been trying to merge it into the Linux kernel - the Linux kernel devs just don't want their shit code. (It's over 80,000 lines of bloat, hacky abstractions, middle layers and other garbage)

If you're talking about DAL, it will get merged eventually. What the kernel devs requested was that they tear up the abstraction layers and provide nice, vendor-agnostic interfaces to do the same things, while also using the already existing kernel code for stuff like i2c, memory management etc. which, for some reason, AMD had written over again with DAL (I'm guessing it's old code from fglrx). IIRC DAL is on its way in Linux 4.8, so that suggests that the work has been done already.

>Finally, the most important component is the AMD OpenGL implementation, including the GLSL compiler, and that is still closed source

I use Mesa, and I suspect that AMD will go with Mesa's OpenGL implementation in the end simply because it's superior. They have official developers on both AMDGPU and Mesa.

OpenCL and Vulkan will probably be integrated into Mesa later for AMD cards given this chart.

On FOSS it works fine.

>Other changes as part of the massive DRM pull request. The DRM code adds around 80,000 lines of new code to the Linux kernel alone, in large part due to the AMDGPU Polaris additions.
Oh wow, so they did manage to get it merged. I wonder how the hell they pressured the kernel people into doing that.

I bet it's bug-ridden as fuck.

Sounds cool, this has me pretty excited. I really want to buy AMD cards, especially since they're like 3x as fast for the same price compared to nvidia.

The only thing that's been stopping me is the lack of Linux support up until now. Hopefully by the time my next GPU upgrade is due, the situation will have improved to the point where AMD FOSS > nvidia blob.

Do you know if they support 10-bit displays yet?

How does getting and installing Linux AMD drivers compare to Nvidia? Currently, I can just go to Nvidia's site, download the newest driver for my card, install, and everything "just works" (cliche as that may be at this point). I know AMD has gotten better, but does it still require fiddiling to get a normal, smooth experience?

>Currently, I can just go to Nvidia's site, download the newest driver for my card, install, and everything "just works" (cliche as that may be at this point).
OH GOD JESUS CHRIST WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOINg

install the packages through your distro

>I wonder how the hell they pressured the kernel people into doing that.
>I bet it's bug-ridden as fuck.

They cleaned it up, obviously. Do you think they've been literally sitting on their asses doing nothing over these last 3-4 months?

Though, that's not DAL. DAL is coming in Linux 4.8.

lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dri-devel/2016-March/103398.html

See this for progress etc.

Well, as someone who has used the FOSS drivers for years now, I actually wouldn't recommend them if you have very high standards for performance. They've not caught up properly yet and the workload somewhat decides its performance. Sometimes an equivalent card performs exactly like it should in comparison to an nvidia card and other times it's down at 50% of it.

So yes, the performance of the FOSS driver is currently quite variable depending on the workload. It believe it will become as fast as the nvidia driver after a while, but it's not there yet.

>Do you know if they support 10-bit displays yet?

No, the FOSS driver has yet to do that. I want it too, but I can do without.

Just install it with the package manager. Currently, I only recommend AMD if you are willing to sacrifice performance in some specific workloads for having an open source driver or some feature to it.

That might change in a year by the way. The Mesa driver often gets optimisation patches, but it has a way to go still.

How about the quality of the drivers themselves? How often does the latest set of drivers cause instability, stuttering, etc.?

Never. I don't think I've ever had a bad mesa release.

>Do you think they've been literally sitting on their asses doing nothing over these last 3-4 months?
Honestly? Yes

If you are using Ubuntu flavored distribution, you are fucked if you wanted to use catalyst

I'm the same user from Now I kinda regret canceling the order. I was originally looking at 960s, then saw the reasonably priced 390 and jumped on it. Started reading about Linux driver issues, paniced and canceled the order, now I'm second guessing the cancelation (and now the price went up again, can't reorder).

cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/linux/log/?h=drm-next-4.8-wip-dal

Well, stability is what mesa shines at. It's a bit behind in OpenGL specification, and you probably won't get everything you pay for in terms of performance out of your card.

It's not bad at all, it's just not as good as it should be.