NAS

Hello Sup Forums

I was hoping that we could talk about network area storage devices.

Does anyone know of a good NAS with at least 4 drive bays for the budget conscious shopper?

Other urls found in this thread:

mini-box.com/picoPSU-80-60W-power-kit
m.mindfactory.de/shopping_cart.php/basket_action/load_basket_extern/id/bf324d2214a2e92458a52e956b9a018f636c2fb5f8a66b48e72
youtube.com/watch?v=-wUfzdiE4m8
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

With 4 bays there is nothing for the budget conscious shopper, at least with a decent and not laggy monocore processor from the pleistocen age.
The only bang for the buck are the 2 bay ones, and they are fucking expensive for what they offer.
Your best solution is make your Nas yourself, pick a tiny motherboard, a tiny case with good storage expansion and budget processor with at least 2 cores. Or one of those mobos with integrated processor.
Drop there a FreeNAS, or Xpenology OS or whatever you like and you are good to go.
This is going to be my next step to retire my DS215j. After time looking for upgrades, build my own nas is the better solution.

Thanks for the recommendation, user.

Will a Pentium D do well or should I look at a lower power option?

A Pentium D is too old, and consumes a lot.
When I say 2 core, I mean 2 modern cores, a modern pentium, or celeron, or even a 2 hand semi-modern Xeon. Even an Atom will do the trick, but a pentim D is nothing more than a housefire Pentium 4 with 2 bad deployed cores.

>Will a Pentium D do well or should I look at a lower power option?

C2750 is your friend.

Same user here.

Look for mainboards with the intel Celeron J1900 processor. It´s popular among low budget nas builders. It has 4 cores and will do the job way lot better than a dedicated cheap nas processor. Or the c2750 as says.
Just look the mainboards to have enoug sata ports, and them not to be sata3 and sata2
mixed. this, or buying a pcie sata card with enough ports.

Make your own out of spare parts or cheap shit on Amazon

Why is your English so fucking horrible? Jesus Christ.

Maybe because I´m not english or american?

Okay, I'll probably look into an LGA1366 Xeon or a cheap Atom board.

Do you guys know of any good ATX cases with a fair number of HDD slots?

Neither am I, and I also find your English appalling.

>LGA1366 Xeon
You're going to waste 60W idle on a NAS? You're stupid.

Can't I down clock the processor?

Rate my NAS build
HDDs are still missing, probably going to get WD RedPros

Bitfenix Prodigy has 5 bays and is pretty cheap

Thanks, but I wasn't really looking to go to ITX.

What is the recommended amount of RAM for a NAS?

Going to build a server that will double as a NAS.

No.

This is bait, right?

- Don't even spend the money on the NH-D14
- Buy a cheaper board, you don't need Wi-Fi
- Forgo the meme RAM. Buy some decent Samsung or Hynix shit off eBay.
- That power supply is extreme overkill. Just get a 430W Seasonic, at most.

Use the money you saved to get a good Intel NIC PCI-E card. NC360T or NC364T is what I'd go for.

At least I´m trying to help. Fuck you, idiot.

Your help is fucking garbage, though.

G1840 dont nave aesni instructions. So openvpn and disk encryption will be very slow.
G3900+H110 are newer and cost only few bucks more.
You dont need ssd for nas. Get sandisk cruzer fit 32/64gb
Get cheap 8gb crucial ddr4 stick
300w psu is too much. If you will have no more then 4 hdd go for mini-box.com/picoPSU-80-60W-power-kit

>G3900
DDR4 + 1151 Board + G3900 cost considerably more
I probably won't encrypt the disk anyway

400€ what the fuck.

>G1840 dont nave aesni instructions
So what?
>So openvpn and disk encryption will be very slow.
Bullshit. He didn't even say anything about OpenVPN and, even if he did, you won't have a problem with a VPN unless you're trying to get gigabit throughput.

Shut the fuck up if you don't help.

>gigabit throughput
kek, I have 1MBit/s upstream, kill me now

Interested in this too.
Hallo Krautfreund.

But you're not wrong. It's sensible to invest in recent hardware.

Better? Not sure about the psu it's the only one they list at 65 waitt thoguh.

That RAM is expensive. You really don't need DDR4 or a G3900 for a fucking NAS. Go cheap as possible on everything. 65 watts isn't enough, though. Try more for 200. And don't use a USB stick, it'll die quickly if it's being written to constantly.

Gigabyte, asus and msi a somewhat better brands then asrock.
Older usb2 sandisk cruser is fine, but it's slower.
Zotac 251-09100 is a 19v brick power supply you idiot. You need a picopsu with 12v brick power supply.

The usb stick isn't ment to be written to constantly. I put freeNAS on it and that's it.
m.mindfactory.de/shopping_cart.php/basket_action/load_basket_extern/id/bf324d2214a2e92458a52e956b9a018f636c2fb5f8a66b48e72

>The usb stick isn't ment to be written to constantly
But it will be, because that's what an operating system does to its boot drive.

>so-dimm

My guy what the fuck is this? This case has no type of room for any drives. SO-DIMM? G3900? 8GB of RAM? FreeNAS? You're doing this shit wrong.

i m not OP, but gimme a decent build mate.

>Can't I down clock the processor?

Get the L family. They're much lower power.

For the same money you can buy an off lease server with 2 xeon CPUs, 24GB of ECC memory, Intel dp NIC and twelve 3.5" drive trays.

It doesn't make any sense to build one, especially from shitty consumer components.

>400€ what the fuck.

I paid $200 for a used supermicro server minus drives, in burgerland.

Even in europe?
Wouldn't xeons use much more power?

>Bullshit. He didn't even say anything about OpenVPN and, even if he did, you won't have a problem with a VPN unless you're trying to get gigabit throughput.

Just because your CPU will do it in software doesn't mean you should avoid hardware specialized to the task. Anyone would be dumb as fuck to buy a CPU without AES-NI or the AMD equivalent for anything but the most niche server roles right now.

Just get an HPE Microserver Gen8. 4 bays, decent CPU, free ILO... It has it all.

>That RAM is expensive. You really don't need DDR4 or a G3900 for a fucking NAS. Go cheap as possible on everything. 65 watts isn't enough, though. Try more for 200. And don't use a USB stick, it'll die quickly if it's being written to constantly.

You are terrible at this. Leave this thread.

Going DDR4 gives him access to more memory than DDR3. You want as much mem as possible in a NAS so you can do dedupe and write caching.

The OS is installed on the mem stick and is only accessed once a year when he has to reboot his NAS.

>>The usb stick isn't ment to be written to constantly
>But it will be, because that's what an operating system does to its boot drive.
Jesus fuck. GTFO. Learn about VMware and FreeNAS before you come back. There are very infrequent writes to either boot device. The most writes are when you instantiate a new machine in VMware. USB sticks last years as boot devices.

>Even in europe?
>Wouldn't xeons use much more power?

You all have been telling us how everything is much better in Europe but every time we have these threads the posters are poor and the hardware is expensive.

Go look at what used server class gear goes for. It's significantly better than any of the consumer crap in this thread.

This is an OK option.

>You want as much mem as possible in a NAS so you can do dedupe and write caching.

> budget conscious shopper

you're retarded

Only one with a g1610t and 4gb ram for 200€

The only available have less than for more shekels.

> budget conscious shopper
>NAS

Pick one

He wasn't replying to me, but I am curious as to whether RAM capacity has much affect on its performance.

DDR3 is about $10 for 4GB on ebay so it's not really a problem.

I was just wondering how much he was recommending.

I've always considered 8GB a healthy amount.
Will more be necessary?

Also, I have a modular Dell power supply.
How much more efficient are namebrand power supplies?

Heard somewhere 2 or 4 gb ram for the system and +1 for every hard-drive

>helping people on Sup Forums

Shoulda told him to delete his os critical folders. People on here are fucking dicks.

all that english was perfectly understandable, literally nothing wrong with it. I would have guessed he was a native speaker

It doesn't. You don't need dedupe, you don't need FreeNAS. Just set up a simple Samba share and be fucking done with it, it's a home NAS.

Stop defending your trash.

I'm thinking maybe you just cant read.

Those three posts that were replied to about being broken English are perfectly fine. I'm a native speaker and I can find very few mistakes, none that actually affect the meaning communicated in the post. I wouldn't even have guessed that the poster was a non native speaker because honestly most native English speakers fuck up written language worse than that

whats the point of calling out a poster for bad english when his posts are in fact good english?

Samefag harder.

MAN WHAT THE FUCK
I wrote both those posts but only got one (You)

fucking this whole actual shit

No dude FUCK YOU
I literally wrote every single post in this thread, you dont get to just waltz in here and pretend you had something to do with it

There you go again, fucking up the English language.

Nas good for 4 drives most more price conscious. I've never have been able to sold nas through ebay four gigs a piece, is slow though

yeah i hear you brother
I dont know why people even bother with the 4 drive enclosure nas boxes, the two drive boxes are way cheaper and you can just connect more (less essential) drives through usb.

Thanks, user.

I forgot about the L and UL series.

He's talking about the L series 1366 Xeons and he's still an idiot for suggesting that.

Bought a fuyitsu tx1310 m1 for 600eur on amazon. 2 1tb hdds, 8gb ram good xeon. Added some old 2tb drives. I run nas, calibre mibrary, transmission download daemon, plex server, 3 minecraft servers for my son, owncloud, virtual windows on kvm.... and i got power to spare to let boinc crunch for wcg. Best 600 I ever spent.

I'm done with compact systems since all my shuttle's turned out shit. So step up and buy a real server.

Can you explain the benefits of dedupe?

What are the limitations of samba compared to freeNAS?

What's wrong with the low power varients?

>Can you explain the benefits of dedupe?
It saves space when you have a lot of duplicated data.
>What are the limitations of samba compared to freeNAS?
Samba is a network file system using SMB/CIFS protocols, FreeNAS is an OS that can do ZFS.

Planning to get picture related, I know maybe it's way too much just for NAS, but I was also looking forward to setup a home server and also a NAS with media in it. Would a HP Proliant Gen8 with a Xeon 1220v2 dual core be a good buy as a beginner server?

They're decent. How far are you looking to go?

I don't many duplicated files and I don't really need more space than what I can readily get a hold of.

So if I use samba, I won't be able to access the computer and drives directly?

basic stuff, was looking forward on some dlna server/transcoding for the media files, maybe a small webserver to try stuff and something like owncloud to keep up to date some documents.

Do you want a rack and rackmount stuff?

>So if I use samba, I won't be able to access the computer and drives directly?
I don't know what you mean by this. Are you wanting block level network storage or file level?

not for the time being, beyond storage I don't see myself upgrading to anything else anytime soon.
I started using linux a few months ago and wanted to learn more and switch from having a couple of network drives to something better for my movies/music/series and also learning more.

Then the G8 will be a good starting point that you won't hate if you never want to go further.

>G1840 dont nave aesni instructions. So openvpn and disk encryption will be very slow.

Even though AES-NI is a nice to have, it's not a necessity even with openvpn use. It won't be "very slow", but yeah you'd get a boost having a native HW aes support.

Naturally, your software would have to support aes ni as well and you have to configure your openvpn server to use it.

I run multiple openvpn servers without aes ni hardware and have no working outside my office.

that was my guess, thanks mate, probably will pull the trigger on that anytime soon.

IT-hardware has a premium in their prices in Yurup, its true.

I'll pay the 10% more for my CPUs just so that I won't be bankrupted if a Hillbilly-Joe crashes into my BMW and I have to stay in a hospital a week.

I've ran a nas4free server off an usb for three years now. 0 problems.

No, nothing like that.

I just want all computers with a hard connection access to the files.

What I was asking was, since it's not an OS, what will I see when I plug it into a monitor?
Is there a user interface?

Samba is a service and so it needs an operating system to be installed on. You can pretty much use whatever you want, it supports many operating systems. Ubuntu is popular with beginners since you can pretty much Google whatever problem and get answers. I would use CentOS if you're ok with reading manuals.

see
I allmost bought one to, but besides the nice hw layout, they are waaay overpriced . If you are looking for small ff , there are plenty other cases.

let nixie explain it
youtube.com/watch?v=-wUfzdiE4m8

How does it work with PCBSD?

>PCBSD
It supports BSD, so I imagine it would work fine. Why would you use PCBSD, though?

Freedoms and I've never been a big fan of Linux.

Don't follow this garbage, just RTFM.

Sure but why not just plain old FreeBSD?

actually where I live I could spend almost as much on a similar setup, difference being that it would be a regular intel gxxx dual core. I probably build something myself or buy something secondhand If I were in the states.

Is it fairly easy to configure?

I used OpenBSD a while back and I ran into some difficulties.

PCBSD is based on FreeBSD so I would imagine it would be familiar to you. I had no problem messing with FreeBSD under pfSense, but I have never touched PCBSD so I can't say for certain what your experience might be. How do you not know what Samba is?

I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm not buying this anytime soon, but I like to have an idea of what to look at before the actual purchase. There's also Zen in the horizon and some "consumer" server parts might be a good alternative.
NAS boxes aren't really my thing when I want all of this storage. The parts are of a nice homeserver and are definitely overkill for NAS only operations, but leaving encoding on another machine would definitely be great. I don't really like the idea of running a non redundant PSU, but I guess it can't be helped when I picked a desktop case. The last thing I'm missing is the OS, I guess Debian would be fine with ZFSoL, a RAIDz2 pool sounds good enough and it'll serve as another backup to half of the storage I have on the desktop:
>HDD Total Size: 19003.8GB (88.6% used)

DDR4 on a server is pointless when DDR3 is absolutely worthless at this point. Also buy whitelabel drives off eBay for far cheaper and you shouldn't need 650W for that.

I was just playing with it.

I've only recently started to get my shit together so I'm finally getting back into computers.

I've always been more into hardware than software anyway.

Thanks for all your help so far, user
Since I understand the differences now, why would I choose samba over FreeNAS?
Is it easier to work with?

Samba is about as easy as it gets. Point and click.