You guys really need to lay off the "linux is perfect" and "windows 10 spyware" memes

You guys really need to lay off the "linux is perfect" and "windows 10 spyware" memes.

My roommate told me his plans yesterday of building a $800-1000 linux gaming desktop. He was planning on playing games through a Windows virtual machine with dual graphics cards.
I had to go out of my way to convince him that it was a terrible idea and that if he really wanted linux, he should just setup dualboot. He didn't want to do it initially since he wanted a computer that he could quickly switch between gaming and development, but then I reminded him SSDs exist.

So let's hear other stories of people you know having stupid ideas about technology.

Pic Related: My internal feelings when he told me his build idea.

Other urls found in this thread:

realmofespionage.blogspot.com/2015/01/starcraft-ii-cpu-benchmarking-with-amd.html
youtube.com/watch?v=37D2bRsthfI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Linux
>Gaming
>Desktop

Kek virtual machine will bottleneck his preformance. Tell him to embrace the windows cuck

It's more reasonable than buying an Xbox or PS4 gaming console. GNU/Linux has more games on Steam that run natively than both of those consoles have combined. Then thousands more not from Steam or ones that run through WINE

tell him to do whatever he wants with his money while you shut the fuck up and mind your own god damned business

What is hardware passthrough

You're a bad friend, tell him to dual boot steamOS and Linux

just get a steambox

Would be reasonable if instead of dual gpu he would use integrated graphics for the Linux host. But yea, dual video cards build is retarded.

desu senpai you're the uninformed one here
that would work just fine if your friend knows what he's doing
some people are fine with dual boot and some aren't, i suppose he should know what he needs

not if he has a quadro for linux for the compute power and a geforce or radeon card for windows.
or he could have a cheap card for either windows or linux if he wants to play games on both.
it all comes down to how he's gonna use it and what's worth paying for or not to him

I'll add that he can get a Windows 10 key for free, so it's not like he's saving $100.

He asked me for my advice and I gave it to him. It's his money, so I don't give a fuck how he uses it. I'm waiting on the 480 for my own machine.

>Buy high end AMD cpu + AMD gpu
>emulate Intel cpu and passtrought the gpu
>???
>profit fps in shit intel optimised gayms
realmofespionage.blogspot.com/2015/01/starcraft-ii-cpu-benchmarking-with-amd.html

i just dont know if you can do pci passtrough on an amd cpu.

tbqh the only reason to dual boot windows is if you fit the following diagnostic criteria:

1. you're a gamer / manchild
2. you're also lazy (point two is possibly redundant)
3. you don't know what iommu is without using google
4. you couldn't set up gpu passthrough on your xen hypervisor
5. you shouldn't be posting on Sup Forums

if you really reboot your system more than once every six months you should go back to Sup Forums and stop pretending to be a linux user

I reboot when it prompts me to do so after downloading some software upgrades.

We are actually pretty close to a point where it is easy to set up a virtualized Windows guest with GPU passtrough on Linux host and run games at 90%+ of bare metal performance.

At some point it will be just
> sudo apt install virt-botnet10-gayming-env

Too bad Nvidia doesn't like people using Geforce GPUs from a virtualized environment. Although looking at the market I guess that it's good that the red team has some edge over the green team on some areas.

WIntel at it's best right there.

GPU passthrough works pretty well these days.

Dunno about using dual GPUs.

I think it's generally recommended to use two graphics cards when you're using passthrough. You can use integrated graphics if you like, but it may not be powerful enough to do what you want. OP's friend most likely picked one good graphics card for gaming and one cheap one for the host OS.

What about SLI?

You can now pair dedicated graphics directly through a PCI bridge with QEMU for gaming. You get 95% of the performance.

youtube.com/watch?v=37D2bRsthfI

meant to say PCI passthrough

>Not running Loonix in a VM
>Not running Bash in Win10

>if you really reboot your system more than once every six months
I'd rather not get memory corruption on my non-ecc systems.

He was right, though.

>gaming

why do you have a child for a roommate? OP are you a pedophile?

Is there any way to only use the one GPU, i.e. have Linux use it and then give Windows total control of the display?

You can reboot into Windows in 15 seconds. You get 100% of the performance.

No.

Well, if you have a Intel processor with integrated graphics you can pair your integrated GPU with it. I don't know about AMD APUs.

You have to close all your running programs. You cannot use other programs while the game is running. You have to trust Windows with the bare metal of your machine. It's a tradeoff, but it's one I would be willing to make.

It's not as if the games I play are demanding anyway. I would not miss the 5%.

Not everyone wants to have to shut off the OS they trust with their credentials to play games. They may also not want to give Windows direct access to the rest of their system outside of the GPU. Sometimes you want both running at once without running multiple computers.

I actually use linux in a practical stance due to my education and programming preference. I don't like Microsoft's forced updates or anything else with Windows 10. I simply just don't trust it.

> Valuing 5% perf over isolating Botnet 10 in a sandbox.

/thread

What could hypothetically happen if you don't run it in a sandbox?

> give botnet access to personal files
> give botnet access to encryption keys
> give botnet access to sensors like microphone and webcam
> give botnet access to computing habits outside gaming and photoshop
> give botnet access to ring -1
> give botnet command over when it is time to update botnet and when it is time to run user processes

Maybe it doesn't happen but I'd rather take a 5% perf hit.