TCP/IP thread

Other urls found in this thread:

sourceforge.net/projects/gns-3/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Future_Internet
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

K. What about it?

sitches don't work with packets

Frames bru

This is now a MILNET thread the rest of Arpanet get out.

This is now a SIPRnet thread. Everyone else get out.

"What did you do in the army dad"
"Shitposting with S6"

you use oak or pine for them frames senpai?

Anyone here familiar with using Quagga for Loonix OSPF?

Would you like a TCP/IP thread?

Is it useful to learn about this if interested in network security?

oh wait... youre serious?

To learn tcp/IP.... there's nothing to learn it's literally that.

What is the best source to learn about TCP/IP?

RFC's.

Thank you.

I had no idea this was a thing.

No. ICMP is used for hacking and DDOS so you should learn about it instead.

read 600 pages of Internetworking With TCP IP and say that again pleb

or

just shut the fuck up if you dont know shit about networks

which version?

Internetworking With Tcp/Ip: Design, Implementation, and Internals June 1994
Douglas E. Comer and David L. Stevens

its pretty much the best starting point to networking and a good read in general

v8

Does tci/ip even exist anymore? Last time I saw it was in a mac os 7 or 8 when configuring my dial up modem. Now you can just plug an ethernet cable into the back of a pc or type in a WiFi password and you get internet.

Anyone here knows how slow-start works?
I mean not just the basics of it, i get the idea behind it, but i have to do homework about slow-start and this shit is driving me insane.

>A network that uses internet technology is called an "internet".

Okay. Now give me an internet.

Internetworking is the practice of connecting a computer network with other networks through the use of gateways that provide a common method of routing information packets between the networks. The resulting system of interconnected networks are called an internetwork, or simply an internet. Internetworking is a combination of the words inter ("between") and networking; not internet-working or international-network.

>what you are referring to as "internet" is in fact a "internetwork"

What are the top flaws of TCP/IP in your opinion, Sup Forums?

Frames contain packets

webshits I swear

Window negotiation is annoying.

you're posting on this bord right now using tcp over ip
i mean for real familia
i hope this is b8 to make macfags look bad because this is exactly what makes people hate macfaggotry

anyone here implemented their own stack?

is ipv6 at 90%+ deployment yet or what?

IP-fucking-4

Let me introduce you to the concept of abstraction via layering

It's at 90% undeployment.

close enough

sourceforge.net/projects/gns-3/

It is mainly being used by retards that don't even know what TCP/IP is.

so is your mom

u wot m8
how do you think internet works?

IP
> NAT fucking up end to end principle (not even IPv6 is save from this)
> Fragmentation allowed / flag based
> IPv6 deployment is fucking slow

TCP
> no authentication on packet level
> congestion algorithms are based on limited bandwidth being the only source of packet loss
> no countermeasures against port scanning in the standards

I'm Cisco certified CCENT. You read a book and you think you know anything? You thought

Mostly in Europe there's no need for that many numbers in the US also ccent here. Also inb4 muh private ips

comer a best. go boilermakers

>TCP/IP
No it's just IP. Not TCP/IP. Go away stallman

You just need to read a book to be cisco certified to

nah i did it and u need to know commands and have your own equipment a few switches etc to get it all understood

>CCENT
>Associate level
Get out of here with your piss poor half and half CCNA certification.

I could tell you a UDP joke but I'm not sure if you'll get it.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

>IPv6 deployment is fucking slow
good
IPv4's limited pool gives a bit more privacy
with IPv6, every device (and every person as well) can be given a unique IP that could be potentially used for identifying and tracking

>Not talking about Superior Bukkake UDP
>2016

that a big laugh

Well, if you want to look at it that way, then on one hand it takes away some of your privacy and on the other it gives you new possibilities for privacy.

IPv6 addresses are handled to machines in ranges. So a single machine won't usually have a single IPv6 address. It's the reverse problem compared to that with IPv4 and NATs, as there will be problems with identifying if two IPs are pointing to the same machine.
Also, there are techniques in the standard to enable changing the IP of your node, so you can hide the fact that your node is involved in different transactions by using different addresses for them.

And then there's the geolocation issue. In IPv6 it's harder to store geolocation data, simply because of the enormous address range.

Besides, be it v4 or v6, there are better ways of tracking someone rather than by IPs, as people tend to change networks.

annoying but necessary

ipv6 toolkit, thc ipv6 attack toolkit

those are good starting places to learn all the problems of worldwide networking based on packet switching

insecure protocol that doesn't have any decent security measures

These are the absolute basics.
Your question is basically: "is it useful to learn math if interested in theoretical physics?"

4u

>>sitches don't work with packets
>His switches aren't layer 3

OP: read the specification (RFC). Everything you need to know is there and it's not too hard to follow.
As to everyone saying TCP is bad, i'd like to see you improve on it. It's pretty damn solid all things considered

This shit has been around for ever and we still can't agree on the details. TTL starts at 256 Come at me fags.

Needs to be replaced with some better stuff.
Like I dunno something en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Future_Internet

How would the internet look like, if it was designed today without looking back at legacy issues and similar restrictions?

computers would be able to talk to each other across the entire planet

For every protocol, you would need a government permission before opening a connection.

lol always funny to see plebs talk about shit they have no idea about. have u guys ever hacked? thought so faggots.

Tell me over TCP and I'll get it in a few hours

Reminder to Sup Forums that IPv4 is
D E P R E C A T E D
E E
P P
R R
E E
C C
A A
T T
E E
D D

IPv4 isn't going anywhere. Businesses and organisations will be using it on their private networks for decades to come still.

ping your printer

What a useless thread. I bet you cert fags browse Reddit all day at your tech support jobs.

Spotted the NEET, everyone!

SYN

ACK

So is Internet a noun or a verb?

No, NEETs are degenerate garbage.

But so are certfags that got cucked into netadmin jobs by networking corps and now make shit pay and post in irrelevant threads on Sup Forums.

> /r/tcpip, 5 subscribers

I'm a neet but my dad works at Cisco. He makes 250k a year

Working at Cisco is different than getting a CCNA and becoming tech support at irrelevant company X. Good for your dad.

Cisco bought out OpenDNS here and pay similarly well for their engineering positions.

>He's not a contractor that works whenever he wants
:^)

Yes, they're true degenerates. Unlike unemployed royalty like you.

Got me there. Probably should get into that eventually.

> royalty
> unemployed
Royalty's job is finding a way to coexist in a world with horrible degenerates like yourself without killing themselves.

here's one way

good call. stretch out your neck, please.

lol you can make a thread about drinking water and shoes and 15 neets will jump on your dick "WOW THOSE ARE SOOOO DEPRECATED WTF"

never change gee

Merciful Dr. Joseph-Ignace Guillotin was known for his careful care of royal necks like yours.

how the fuck do you drink shoes?

SYN

You have to think in german.

Exactly.

> Implying I'm royal scum
Nice meme

Pardon!

SYN

SYN ACK

ACK

TCP/IP Illustrated.

ESTABLISHED

DESIGNATED

SHITTING

I have a small business network. There is LITERALLY no reason for me to have IPv6 at all.

STREETS

For you