}

that's absolutely horrible and you should be ashamed

>I couldn't understand it therefore you've done something wrong
Gotcha.

it's just a prank bro

>falling for the college meme

wow

What is computer science like?
I'm Finnish, so studying in a university doesn't cost me anything but I don't want to waste my time if it's for nothing.

>everyone told me having a computer science degree would get me six figure jobs easily
>work my ass off through college
>know 4 languages fluently
>nobody hires me
>get an IT job making 40k
>accepted this as my future

b-better than nothing i guess...

its not worth it m8. become a sauna technician, ull be set 4 lyfe in fanland

Sure feels good to be mechanical engineering master race.

>tfw when that face when anonymous shitposters with no formal education think that because they've read SICP in pirated ebook format that they're a professional.

>didn't get his masters
Everybody has a bachelors degree now user. You pretty much need to go to grad school to stand out from the crowd now.

Juot kaljaa

Jealous UK citizen here. Do you only get free uni once or can you go back after completing your BSc or whatever? I want to go back but can't because we only get four years of funding, after which the tuition fees are disgusting. On top of having to pay back funding.

>everyone told me having a computer science degree would get me six figure jobs easily
that's only true for:
womyn, and (certain) minorities who get hired for muh diversity
chads who get a hook up from their bros or family memebers
turboautists who dream in code

I haven't read SICP because I'm not a hipster turnip, I have no pretensions to being a professional programmer (whatever that means), but I do have functional English writing skills.

Now fuck off.

Thank God I study mathematics, I'm sure that will bring money to the table...

>going into senior year of college as comp sci student

y-you guys are just memeing right? i'll get a good job for sure...right?

Kek

if you don't have any internships, you better start buffing up that portfolio and going to every networking event.

>Do you only get free uni once or can you go back after completing your BSc or whatever?
People studying useless shit for decades without ever getting a job is actually causing financial distress for the government. So I'm pretty sure you can.

I've worked at my schools IT department for 2 years. Is that a good start? Or is it [spoiler]useless?

Well we usualy do Masters and uni is truly free, but we get "opintotuki" aka money from goverment for first six(?) years. After that you'll have to stop drinking and get a job :D

But yeah, you can go back and get different papers, just gotta pass qualifying exams again

You're so euphoric it hurts.

Oh, that sucks.

How difficult is it to learn Finnish?

only shitters think they fell for the "cs meme" and worry about internships

>if you don't have any internships, you better start buffing up that portfolio and going to every networking event.

you guys in us have this sorted, i did 3 years as a host and editor in uni students radio and everybody pisses on that. fuck

What about research? Is being a published researcher worth anything?

t. no internships

it's largely mathematics and cementing a method of thinking.

Okay. Does anyone here have a clue what his point is? I sure don't. Apparently euphoric was on his word of the day toilet paper this morning so he had to cram it in to a conversation somewhere, coherency be damned.

I faked my way through college and got a CS degree without really knowing anything. I just used StackOverflow for literally everything for 4 years. I have 3 years experience in IT and some basic Java knowledge.

How fucked am I?

For someone not born here, very difficult probably.

I'm not the person you were replying to originally, just pointing out silly you sounded. And you're not helping your case with that last post.

I know that feel

It's this and be successful or fail myself and everyone and runaway to somewhere by the beach and live off the land somehow. I'll probably get a job as a dishwasher and raise money to go to Europe and walk to all the cool places and try to get to a Buddhist temple and live as a monk

that's 2 years "experience" so you should be good. Make sure you have a portfolio of work you've done in the language you want to pursue on github or somewhere and add it to your resume. While a lot of tech jobs "prefer" a college degree, all of them require actual experience (aka actual work or personal projects, school projects, etc.) in their tech stack.

>work i've done in the language

but outside of class projects and such I've done nothing. can i include them?

>finnish language

Yliopistojen tietotekniikkalijojen isoimmat hyödyt ovat siinä että sinulle maksetaan siitä että verkostoidut muiden tulevaisuuden toivojen kanssa ja se että siellä sinut haastetaan oppimaan vaiketa asioita joihin et ehkä itsenäisesti panostaisi aikaa.

Osa opituista asioista ei ehkä suoraan auta uralla mutta se että pystyt oppimaan vaikeita asioita siitä huolimatta on erittäin kätevää.

TF;DR Free university is good for networking. Git gud at learning hard stuff is very valuable.

yes class projects are great. Even if they're small projects like a calculator or an encryption program, as long as you provide working examples of programs you've made you'll become 100x more valuable than someone who doesn't. Make sure your code doesn't suck though. Stuff like 400 line methods, poorly named variables, lack of developer comments(even though nobody ever does where I work...) etc. may dissuade companies if you're applying for anything other than an entry position. Vice versa if you write excellent, clean code, you could easily skip the whole entry-junior bs.

thank you so much, i never knew if it was a faux-pas to include classwork in your portfolio. much appreciated friend!

ok kiitti