Im having trouble getting this 8088XT philips computer running cant find many information about it for example beep...

Im having trouble getting this 8088XT philips computer running cant find many information about it for example beep codes

the problem is I cant get anything on monitor, have a videocard with 9 pin and composite and the composite works but not the 9pin digital monochrome TTL

NOW IT COULD EVEN BE THE MONITOR but how can I test a TTL monitor anyway, is it waiting for a signal ?, dont have any other sistem or monitor to test.

tried 3 other 8-bit videocards nothing worked, it gives 3 short beeps two times

HELP

Other urls found in this thread:

home.claranet.nl/users/pb0aia/cm/garage.html
minuszerodegrees.net/manuals/ATI Graphics Solution - user manual.pdf
stason.org/TULARC/pc/graphics-cards/A-B/ATI-TECHNOLOGIES-INC-Monochrome-CGA-EGA-GRAPHICS-S.html
lo-tech.co.uk/wiki/IBM_Personal_Computer_XT_System_Board
vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?26432-8bit-Friendly-ISA-VGA-cards
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Do you have jumpers on the graphics card?

or dip switches

Do you know what kind of BIOS it uses?
Everything I've found so far doesn't mention three short beeps two times, however three short beeps by itself indicates a base 64K RAM failure

Are those RAM DIPs soldered in? If not, try popping them out and see what you get.

Basically, try removing as much shit as you possibly can first, then slowly rebuild it and see if you get anything out of it.

I get this when i tried composite out on a ATI graphic card

So I think the motherboard seems fine, and it even beeps here

These are the cards I have, on the ATI card there is a composite out that the only signal I got out of it so far,see upper pic

I already tried dip switches/jumpers but only on the ATI card which I found information on these others cant even find the info

dont know , there should be a socketed chip on the motherboard that tells bios right ??

the motherboard is a PHILIPS P3105/NMS9100 if that helps

>I already tried dip switches/jumpers but only on the ATI card which I found information on these others cant even find the info

lemme fix that

I only tried combinations of dips only on the ATI card for which I found accurate info but on these other card I cant find any info

The black white dip switches might be the problem, on the motherboard, depending on video mode you might have to change them.

yea but finding what a particular DIP switch does will be fun now

Its a XT comuter with no build in BIOS ,from wat I heard

I think I found the dips for motherboard but someone needs to confirm

The dip switches:
1 on=8087 coprocessor not installed
off=8087 coprocessor installed
2 on=one diskette drive installed \ setting of drive type is not
off=two diskette drives installed / needed, bios will determine
3 mem size
4 mem size
5 on=parallel port disabled
off=parallel port enabled as lpt1
6 reserved
7 on=serial port disabled
off=serial port enabled as com1
8 on=fixed disk port disabled
off=fixed disk port enabled at 320-323 hex
The p3105 uses a XT-IDE type hard disk at this port. It can also
use regular mfm hard disks with a controller card in one of the
slots. When you do this, sw8 should be ON.

I also found this

W1-1: On: 8087 FPU not installed
Off: 8087 FPU installed
SW1-2: On: One floppy drive installed
Off: Two floppy drives installed
SW1-5: On: Parallel port disabled
Off: Parallel port as LPT1
SW1-7: On: Serial port disabled
Off: Serial port as COM1
SW1-8: On: HDD controller disabled
Off: HDD controller enabled at 320h-323h

and

Then these two are for memory configuration:
SW1-4 SW1-3
On On No memory
On Off 256K memory
Off On 512K memory
Off Off 640K memory

SW1-6 is reserved.

would this have anything to do with video-cards ??

>AMD

EEWWWWW THROW IT IN THE TRASH

dont be a jerk and help, these things are rare as fuck,a atleast here in Europe

What are you gonna do with that thing if you fix it? Just curious

im sick of all these windows 10 and 8

want to learn computers and programing bare-bone style

also got a amber monitor TTL and I really want to see that monitor work and for that I need functional videocard

anyone HELP

Do you have a battery for the CMOS?

YES I have it ,removed it too see if it helped but nothing

You should ask the vintage computer thread on /vr/. They might be of more help.

yea but its not very active there

might wait 2 hours for a reply

Is the battery actually charged?
I've bodged 3AAA's into my AT to replace its leaking CMOS

This has to be the most interesting thread I've seen in a long time. OP is based.

Since the error message on the screen is looking for a bootable drive, that should mean all the system memory is good.

The picture of the mobo looks like it's missing the CR2032 battery, that's something you'll want to replace eventually.

Looks like the Philips P3105 is a cycle-perfect clone of the IBM 5150/5155/5160, looking for info from those systems may help. It was also sold as the Philips NMS9100.

At the bottom of home.claranet.nl/users/pb0aia/cm/garage.html is a zip with some utilities, including a video selector.

ATI video card manual is at minuszerodegrees.net/manuals/ATI Graphics Solution - user manual.pdf

I'll post more as I find it. OP, keep us updated. What else have you got?

This mobo would only use the battery for the clock, it's unlikely to be an issue at this point.

Conflicting dip switch settings for the ATI here:
stason.org/TULARC/pc/graphics-cards/A-B/ATI-TECHNOLOGIES-INC-Monochrome-CGA-EGA-GRAPHICS-S.html

Hmmm.....

Ah, the XT stored all of its settings with DIP switches.

Beep codes and some other info at lo-tech.co.uk/wiki/IBM_Personal_Computer_XT_System_Board

What kind of beeps do you get with the ATI card, is it the same code as the other video cards? Could point to the power supply or keyboard.

Ignore this, it looks like it's for part number 168248, not the 168238 you have.

And the manual I linked earlier is for ATI Graphics Solution, not ATI Graphics Solution SR which you have. Shit. They have the same chipset, maybe the dip settings are the same?

ATI dip settings here:

www dot arvutimuuseum dot ee/th99/v/A-B/52891.htm

Get a VGA graphics card.
vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?26432-8bit-Friendly-ISA-VGA-cards

Connect a floppy to it, it will probably boot fine. Your EGA monitor is probably fucked, do this:

maybe it will but I really want this Amber TTL monitor to work they are rear as hell, the monitor looks like new absolutely no burn in as I can see

I am starting to suspect the monitor might have a problem, how could I test the monitor ? dont have any other XT machine

but I do have a working 386 which is 16 bit, but then you have to set jumpers everywhere again to make a 8bit work in a 16bit architecture

What's the model of the monitor?

I thought XT era machines had some DIP switches to choose the monitor type, between CGA, MDA, and EGA/VGA. The BIOS has to initialize MDA and CGA cards, while VGA cards are supposed to have an onboard BIOS chip.

True, but OP's machine seems to be a custom clone without those

OP posted incorrect information about the mobo dip switches before. For XT computers, switches 5 and 6 should be turned off to select a monochrome display.