Convince me to buy or not buy this right now

Convince me to buy or not buy this right now.

I was going to wait for the AMD rx480, but I decided that I want more power. Is there a reason to not get this G P U ? anyone else bought it and are you happy so far?

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127955
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>but I decided that I want more power.

why? what's your setup and future setup. If you're not running 4k then this card is overkill.

I'm on the fence too, but probably gonna wait for more reviews of both to see if the 1070 is worth the extra price jump.

Just fucking do it already

I was planning to get a 1070, even though I figured it was a bit out my price range at $399, assuming it would be around £340-£350. But considering that the ones I've seen are closer to £400, I feel like I'm gonna wait for AMD 's offerings, or maybe a gtx1060

Why tf would you pay over $400 for something that's going to get btfo'd before the end of the month

Pic very related

Oh, ok. I'm just gaming on 1080p so I guess it's really overkill. My current PC is 8 years old and I'm building a new one. Should I be able to play new games at 60 fps with the 480? I don't want any dips or performance drops.

The main reason I wanted more power is to "future-proof" my machine so I can keep it for the next 5 years.

>Convince me to buy or not buy this right now.
i have a family to feed and i get payed based on how many people here buy it
if i don't sell 10 more by the end of the month nvidia is taking my kids and forcing them to sit in a room filled with flammable materials while a 4x sli pc tries to do arithmetic
please buy one OP
I love my family

Do you have anything to play with it that it will make a difference?

If your gonna bust a nut get a 1080 at least you won't be half as pissed when the 1080ti comes out.

Gtx 1060 will cost 200-240 and will not offer any competition to the rx480.

>forcing them to sit in a room filled with flammable materials while a 4x sli pc tries to do arithmetic
..........reported for..... terrorism?

this is pretty fucking sad actually

>60 fps

Still waiting for my Pre-order of this exact card to come in stock.
If the rx480 releases before they can stock it I'm just going to get it instead.

the performance increases of the 1070 and 1080 are not that great and the performance leaps are mainly in the V.R. arena... if you aren't doing V.R. then don't buy a card that is all about V.R.

human eye can't see etc

This makes no fucking sense

Op if you're gaming at 1080p 60fps then the 1070 will probably be overkill. Maybe buy it anyways then upgrade to 144hz or a higher resolution in the future.

Games barely make a 970 break a sweat.

I dunno what nvidia is gonna do when everything runs on a old ass card and it makes no sense to spend lots of money on a gpu for any reason other than epeen

wait for 1070ti

>1080p 60fps
yeah, at max graphics aswell, 1080p is chump res these days

for what it costs, buy 2, just for the fuck of it, if you want a bit of extra "future proofing"

>Games barely make a 970 break a sweat.
At 1080p60

> thinking you need more than 1080p

>thinking you need more than 600p

I have an MSI r9 390 right now and this shit runs hotter than 90c despite them advertising 76c

I wouldn't trust them

A 480 will run anything at 1080/60, except perhaps The Witcher 3 with GoyWorks hair turned on.

The real question is what about 1440p. Going full 4k yet is stupid, but 1440 is pretty reasonable.

All memes aside, either your case airflow is fucking terrible or your card is actually faulty (possibly too much thermal paste or a misaligned cooler). Even overclocked it should be getting nowhere near that. Either fix your airflow, take the cooler off and repaste it or RMA it.

have a 1080p and a 1440p 144hz

you notice the extra frames FAR more than the resolution, and i'm betting 4k is much the same where the fps will be SO much more valuable than a hardware based aa pass.

put tessellation on 8x and it likely could.

Wait for the RX 480 , it will be good for you and in the future you can just buy another and crossfire.

So running 3 144hz monitors at 5760x1080 res is not taxing a 1070? I mean I hear you fucks all the time make this statement..if your only doing 1080 then this is overkill..but who the fuck runs single screens. Ever see a /bst/ thread? Most are using multi-monitor setups.

Doesn't that make a difference?

RX480 performs the same when overclocked, and costs half.

Yeah fuck 4K and 1440p, I'll be running 144hz 1080p for another 5 years.

Awesome. So how long have you had yours?

OP a 470 doesn't cost $439 you will have to pay over 550 for a piece of shit apple meme that AMD will btfo or $200

If you already have all the requirements for Xfire then sure, but if you're building from new you can just save money on PSU and mobo/ heat issues and buy a 1070 for a little more.

>Convince me to buy or not buy this right now.
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127955
>$439
>Out of Stock
>novidya paper launch
>cheapest 1070 card is selling for $570

Buy it OP!!!!

Then watch the CF 480 rigs get more frames then you for less money.

>"future-proof" my machine so I can keep it for the next 5 years.
My 670 barely lasted me three years. Fuck Nividia.

im an idiot ayy

Just go back to and never post here again.

I'm still using my 660 and it runs good as new... I did upgrade my processor since i bought it, but I can run nearly everything at 60fps+

and only 75% of those frames will be runts!

You could get a 480 with a 1440p display for the same price as the 1070

i was in a similar boat op. was waiting for amd higher end polaris but decided to grab an asus 1080 strix off of newegg last week when they randomly came back in stock.

boosts crazy high. couldn't be happier.

Do you even have a 4k or 1440p 144hz display?

Thanks for popping out of a 'linux as a great everyday desktop OS' thread faggot. But I do not see anywhere in that post that a game was mentioned.

Now go be a faggot elsewhere. I took a dump this morning that had more value to the world than you do. And I flushed that piece of shit.

overkill is good

overkill means it will play games at high - max settings longer than at 1440p and higher.

later on you can upgrade to a new, higher resolution monitor and already have a video card to power it.

1080p 144hz.

as mentioned.

when 1440p 144hz screens come down in price i'm snagging one. now, i max out everything with ease.

Except you now have to pay a $200 or more nvidia tax if you want a-sync

you also should have upgraded your display before your GPU man, GPU prices drop more than display prices

hell for around the price of your 1080 you could have gotten a free-sync 1440p 144hz IPS display at $550 ish, plus the 480

i don't want to play my games at high or medium settings like the 480 will play them in a year with a 1440p screen. i also don't want to buy another graphics card in a year.
>nvidia tax
you sure sound like a amd shill

and gsync? who gives a shit about that? i'm not sensitive to this "tearing" so many of you talk about.

going on about "gsync" and behaving like its a requirement.... really you sound desperate trying to pull out any excuse to denounce nvidia and promote amd.

Pretty sure 1440p 144hz IPS at medium > 1080p 144hz TN at ultra

Especially for daily desktop use, I'm simply saying you could have gotten a better overall system

1440p should be easy for high settings even for a 980. If your going 4k then sure the 1080 is a good choice but im sticker to 480 which should be able to handle Ultra settings on those resolutions lower then 4K. Waiting for real benchmarks to come out.

better? to each there own.

>I'm simply saying you could have gotten a better overall system
no, not really

you clearly have a biased for amd and pushing it hard. kinda showed it going on and on about gsync. i'm sure if the 490x was coming out you be shilling hard for it right now.

>you pushing nvidia!
not really. i upgraded from a sapphire nitro 390. great card, but my 1080 is FAR better.

>high settings even for a 980
atm

seems like all of you are only thinking about the present.

TN panels make your eyes bleed man

and 1080 is too limited on vertical pixels for productivity

telling someone to buy a 480 and pair it with a 1440p or higher is the equivalent of promoting public beatings.

what bother getting a better screen if you're going to pair it with a shitty 480.

if op can afford a 1070 he should go for it. especially if he wants to upgrade to a 1440p or higher later on. if not, at least he can easily max out games for awhile. unlike the 480.

buying the 480 is the equivalent of buying a 960. its performance before release is already approaching lackluster for 1080p for newer games coming out. the performance of the 1070 will become the de facto standard for even 1080p gaming.

Not OP but can a 480 max out new games on 1440p? Is there any reliable benchmark or review yet?

I'll convince you.

At the very least to wait, maybe not even for the RX480

Wait for the 1070 price to go down. Wait just a little longer until the supply and demand can get save you the 70$ you're literally throwing away.

And even if the 70$ doesn't effect you, remember that you're setting a precedent that allows both Nvidia and AMD to set prices on midrange products well into the 400$ range which is just absurd.

>TN panels make your eyes bleed

Not good ones faggot.

barely.

all benchmarks show it being slower than a 980 ti and either the same or better than a 980. for current games its at its limit. newer games will require lowering settings. even for 1080p games in the future.

if you care about investing your money its better to save the extra $150 for the 1070 or whatever amd equivalent.

>i'm not sensitive to this "tearing"
Fix your eyes.

Ok, so I will wait until the 490 or 480x comes out and see how it can do

hoesntly the future proof meme is only comparable to cpus. Remember the original Titan cost 1 thousand dollars three years ago and today its performance is comparable to a measly mid range card. Your paying more for a technology that will become cheaper to produce and develop in a few months. Your paying more for being the first one to use that tech then then.

great response. much praise. really showed.

i haven't seen tearing since i stopped using shitty dell monitors from 2006. even my last ips 60hz display i could barely notice tearing, and only did if i actually tried to notice it. with my new tn 144hz i can't notice it at all even trying.

also helps knowing my 1080 will for awhile help me maintain 100+ fps at 1080p to keep up with my 144hz refresh.

those 980 ti's are sure lasting awhile. far longer than those 960's.

even the 970's lasted awhile for 1080p. going on three years for 1080p gaming. better than the 960's that already had to start dropping settings down to medium for 1080p.

The best TN panel is still a TN panel

OP only has a 1080p 60hz display, buying a 1070 would be retarded.

You replace GPUs way more than displays, especially if you buy a high end display, even if the 480 can't max out the display, you then have the high end display for the 1080ti or Vega cards

the 1080 is nearly there for 4k gaming, but it's still not quite there, it's about 80%+ for AAA games

its not comparable. A 960 will play most games on High resolution up to 1080p. In three years those games will become more advanced and paying another 250 bucks for another mid range card would be appropriate. A 980ti is for those that simply dont want to mess around in the graphics settings and turn everything to Ultra at the games start.

>2016
>not having a time machine
Pleb.

funny cause those people who went out and paid $600 for 780 ti's back in 2013 have had cards that have lasted for four years now.

people who bought the 680's had them last until last year until they started to have to drop settings down from high for 1080p.

some might try to claim its an "exception" "hurr no die shrink" is nonsense. my 6800gt from 2004 lasted till 2007 before i had to start dropping settings from high.

I have not seen tearing since I got a 144hz monitor on any game at all, only when I had 60hz

>You replace GPUs way more than displays
yeah because you keep buying $200 gpu's. buy a $600 one and they last a lot longer.

it is comparable. a 960 cannot max out witcher 3 and maintain a steady 60fps at 1080p as an example.

So is founders the new 3.5?
>says msrp is 379
>sell reference at 450 and call it founder
>now no one wants to sell below founder price even non-founder reference cards

amd needs to jump on the founders bandwagon.

they need the money the most

>now no one wants to sell below founder price even non-founder reference cards

really depends on location. here on newegg i grabbed mine (non-founders) for $60 less than the founders $700 msrp for my 1080.

My 690 stutters at Dark Souls 3, dont even try

Not OP but Ill ask anyways.

Would it be a good idea to just go ahead and get a 1080, or should I buy a 1070 and get a 1080ti when it comes out? I plan on upgrading to 1440p when my own new build is finished.

Only thing Im readlly uneasy with on the matter is that chances are the 1080ti will barely be better, and will cost $200 more.

buy a 480 and use the $200 in savings to get yourself a nice watch

Yea see, the issue with that is that Id like to still have a half decent GPU come this time next year.

And I prefer my house not smelling like smoke.

Except current top end GPUs can't do 4k/1440p 144hz gaming, it's almost there, but not quite

Prices for 980s and 980tis are dropping heavily.
I just can't decide if I should just pull the trigger for a 980ti for 350 bucks or wait for polaris.

wait for benchmarks lol its only two weeks. If Nvidia gets Btfo in benchmarks as expected then they will have to lower the prices even more.

MY SUMMER VACATION IS RUNNING OUT AND I NEED TO PLAY VIDEO GAMES RIGHT NOW~!!!!

even at 1080p 60fps a 390/970 struggle

>MY SUMMER VACATION IS RUNNING OUT

summerfag detected

In what? Rise of the tomb raider? Mirror's Edge catalyst on Hyper? for the most part they're going to be fine for high settings for a decent amount of time to come

gta 5 anywhere near grass

Except that the general average on pretty much any high end GPU is going to be over 60fps

well no shit
but it's minimum fps that matters. you never want to dip below 60 on any halfway decent computer

>but it's minimum fps that matters. you never want to dip below 60 on any halfway decent computer
This ain't VR, that has never been a thing, unless the game had major minimum fps issues that caused stuttering

just buy a free-sync display if you care that much about tearing

freesync wont matter when you're running at 30 fps as soon as you go off road

I don't remember having any frame rate issues on my 7850 2gb card, running the game at low for 60fps

Just get the RX 480 and overclock it

that's because you're running on low.
as soon as you turn the grass up above low it destroys your framerates
or you put it on low and the grassy areas look terrible.
neither of these are what you want when building a high end pc

It's seemginly only an issue then in one single game, that I already played through and will probably never touch again, I think someone can live with low quality grass

I will go with 480

This cant be true, right?

It's confirmed fake.

so you want a card thats
is below 980ti most of the time
doesnt provide any better perf under dx12
literally will get destroy on it
is almost x2 more money than 480 for literally 10% faster
lel

well you see the problem with that is the livestream that korean dude make...having a 480 running on 1607 and smoking a 1070
i understand is as far (at least i think.,.....)as a gcn can go on air given that cooler and he didnt really had the proper drivers but damn 1607 on a gcn having a base clock of 1180 or 1080 whatever it was is just hmm...