Best way to put Windows onto my Macbook Pro?

Best way to put Windows onto my Macbook Pro?

Should I duel boot or use a parallel desktop? And what's the easiest way to go about either? Just want it for gaming online with my buds since they're both building PCs and I'm too poor to afford two computers.

Specs: pic related

Other urls found in this thread:

discussions.apple.com/thread/5431182?tstart=0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

can't you just straight up install it? nigger that seems like the best way if not the only way

Would it not overwrite OSX?
I'm sorry if that sounds retarded I just don't wanna fuck anything up,

what specifically will you be using windows for?

boot camp

this is honestly so fucking retarded i can't even comprehend you right now

Just gaming, online co-op with my friends since they're both building PCs and I can't afford a second computer. My main OS is El Capitan.

> gaming
Bootcamp lad, you won't get good performance on virtual machines.

Spotlight -> Bootcamp -> Follow instructions.

just use bootcamp you little memer. it will do everything for you

ok. definitely bootcamp. its definitely straightforward, but do lots of research on it because if you fuck up one step, you might lost both partitions. definitely back up your data. also, don't expect great performance on an intel 4000. I've go the 2012 model and it can do low settings at ~30 fps

Thank you for the help friends, could I use an external for the partition? I have a 2.5TB one ready to go

>Thank you for the help friends, could I use an external for the partition? I have a 2.5TB one ready to go

no. it would be slow.

How slow, exactly? I don't wanna take up the rest of the space on my internal with Windows shit (1TB total, about 415GB left)

Why would you willingly eat shit from your hands?

Even though I am a primary mac user (on an iMac right now), I don't know how easy this would be. Computers have a boot order which is how it knows how to boot into some sort of operating system.

If your top boot order is the Mac hard drive, you may have to specifically tell it to boot into the other hard drive any time you wanted to boot into Windows, which would be quite a bitch.

On the other hand, if your main hard drive is simply partitioned, you can easily choose which OS you want on boot.

HOWEVER --- Bootcamp may (and probably does) take care of all of this under the hood for you. You may be able to press Option at start and boot into an operating system on any viable boot device. I'm not sure about this so do your research before you make a decision, otherwise changing boot order everytime you switch into Windows is going to make you want to off yourself

Shit, you'd think it would boot straight to OS X when the hard drive isn't plugged in and ask my preference when it is.

Thanks for the input though, I'll definitely do my research and make sure nothing goes horribly wrong.

You can install with Bootcamp and then use from within OSX using Parallels. It's all totally seamless. Quite impressive.

>Let's insult someone for not knowing something instead of giving him helpful advice or even redirecting him to /sqt/
>Yeah! That'll teach him!

...if I wasn't clear: you can natively boot into, or run inside a VM, the same Windows install.

OP here, even I could tell he was being sarcastic

well if you set the boot order to use the external first and mac hard drive second that would work perfect -- ie: if windows drive plugged it would boot to windows, else boot mac

but again, I dont specifically know how setting boot devices on mac works, so just google it and figure out your options

>2012 macbook

Is the external Firewire 400/800? or Thunderbolt?
>No, it's usb
Then it will be very slow.

However, it will work.

OP:
1. Download a windows 10 iso
2. Use disk utility to restore the iso to a flash drive
3. reboot mac, hold down option before the grey screen with apple logo comes up.
4. choose your flash drive with windows iso
5. install goddamn windows. make sure you don't erase your internal HDD!
6. fuck bitches
7. when you want to boot windows, plug in HDD, reboot mac, hold option and choose your external HDD.

Install gentoo

I really think you should "duel" the boot. That sounds way more fun to watch. Installing Windows is a boring spectator sport.

Hard drive's a 2.5TB by the way

What I'm gonna do is partition it in such a way that 1TB is for windows and the rest is for backup and other miscellanious shit
So I'll backup first (obviously) to the 1.5TB portion, then download the ISO, follow your steps and all that (including the bitch-fucking, what OS install is complete without it?)

My only worry is fucking up my laptop/losing all my shit, which backing up is for I guess

I found this as well: discussions.apple.com/thread/5431182?tstart=0

Seems a bit unconventional though, would it help at all or are most of these steps unnesessary?

Dude. Abandon the external idea.

Do I need any more than 150GB? If so then I could keep it for the internal, I just don't have too much space left on my machine.

You people make me ashamed of using OS X. Dear God... this is Sup Forums not babbys first computer

Boot camp is literally just a couple of clicks, and you can undo the install with boot camp as well at any given moment. Parallels is also easy if you have even slight knowledge of tech. Try both and see what fits for you, it isn't this hard.

>to poor to afford two computers
>has a mac

Please use your brain, you know this better than anyone in here. Find out how big a W10 base install is, find out what games you want to play and how big in size they are. Add those values together and if you're let's say

>mac user
>brain

He'd just have to hold down option while booting to select a different boot drive, but I'm not sure if that will work with Windows

Why are Mac hipsters so God damn dumb?