What happened to Dual CPU gaming mobos?

What happened to Dual CPU gaming mobos?

CPU's got more cores and games don't use them.

This

I dont know if I should get an i7 Quad or wait for an Octacore Zen

I highly doubt that Zen will outperform a 6700K or 4790K.
On the other hand, I prefer AMD because I don't need to thrown a shitton of money at my PC to get performance, AND have features like IOMMU for VGAPassthrough.

I dont think it would outperform them but will probably still come close to. I think AMDs strategy has shifted from being cheap and powerhungry to being dirt cheap and energy efficient.

Zen doesn't work with usb3.1, lel

>workstation board
>thinks it's for gayming

why would you care. I suppose 3.0 will suffice

First gen, mid range Zen will probably only match i5 4xxx IPC, but with 8 cores at 4.5+ ghz. It will outperform most skylake chips.

>implying anyone uses anything higher than USB 2.0

>muh cores
We were talking about gaming hardware.
Cores don't really matter.
This from a guy with an FX-8320/

its marketed for gamers alike theres even an intel extreme edition for overclockers.

i remember the EVGA SR-2

that motherboard was the tits,dual socket 1366 and overclockable

friend of mine still has one,hes running dual westmere 6-cores at 3.8 ghz in it.

How many fps is he getting? Did he run The Steam benchmark and Can he run 4k VR with that?

moar cores

Next gen will have 8 cores standard with 16 total threads, why do you need a second socket?

source

wait for zen if you can handle what you have now for like 4-5 months

depends on the graphics cards,he only has a single 680 GTX if i remember correctly

Games can't even use the cores on 1 CPU let alone 2

Leaning more on that. I'm really impressed by the RX480 and since AMD is finally doing away with bulldozer there a real possibility of them making a huge comeback in the CPU marketshare.

Can you SLI 2 CPUs?

What's a supercomputer if not for hundreds of cpus. In terms of gaming I don't think there's is much benefit .

Itt people who dont use flashdrives

This. Afaik its like different types of math. Cpu is good for some things but gpu are for what thing you are describing.

I have a Pentium g and an r9270x and can run fallout ark beautifully but gta 4 like shit on high settings bc different math happening

Yeah GTA5 is really just a console optimized game they didn't even bother tuning the PC version after release.

Those were basically workstation boards, in fact they were workstation boards!

I don't think very many were actually marketed as a pure gaming platform.

the amount of advancement we're going to see in the next 5 years blows my mind, I love not even being able to foresee what we'll even use that much power for

Making more accurate representations of our sexual fantasies.

See the WS? That means workstation

I await the sexual singularity with open arms

lol usually shilling is a lot better

You know that USB3.1 is completely separate from the chipset right?
It's handled by a controller on the PCI bus.

>We were talking about gaming hardware.
Personally I care about raw throughput performance more than I care about “gaymen” performance

>What happened to Dual CPU gaming mobos?

I'll take the bait.

Direct that to OP, I was just replying.
Also, this thread doesn't belong in Sup Forums because it's not about VIDEO GAMES. It's about computer hardware, which just happens to be marketed towards PC gamers.

It literally says "Workstation" on the board.

>Flash drive
Do you mean a jump disquette?

Do you expect intels retarded panjeet shills to know that?

No, but do you think some people are going to believe them and thus not buy Zen?

AMD tried it in 2007 with FASN8 and it didn't catch on and died

No real need for them
They were a way to essentially end up with a dual core system, back when chips were only single core. Now that you can buy CPUs with many cores on them, there is no good reason to make these boards for consumer use. They stil make dual CPU boards, but those are pretty much only server boards.

only an actual retard would believe shills on Sup Forums

Well, I wouldn't want the retards believing the shills then would I.

“gaming mobo” doesn't mean you'll use it for gaming

It just means “affordable for consumers”

>dual CPU mobos for gaming

Sounds like y'all got ripped off on some overstock server mobos.

cpu's began using more than one core

>real possibility of them making a huge comeback in the CPU market share.
AMD fans believe this.

don't feel bad, i was waiting for the i7 killer bulldozer as well.

GTA4 was a garbage port. GTAV is more of a proper PC release.
Even with beast hardware 4 won't do stable 60fps

wat
gaming mobo implies it costs MORE than regular mobos
also "gaming" is nowhere on OP's pic, yet "workstation" is

What the fuck are you smoking? Gta v was a pretty well optimised game on pc.

Video game developers have enough trouble utilizing multiple threads, now imagine them making code which can utilize multiple processors - impossible? That's what I'm thinking as well.

This. It is notoriously hard to program for multiple cores. The best average you'll find is 2 cores for game sim and video output, and maybe a third core to handle all the [spoiler]background spyware you're also running[/spoiler]. Extra cores won't do anything meaningful after that.

IF you can't wait, DON'T buy shitty consumer platform garbage.
Get 2011-3 and a 5820K/6820K.

You'll thank me in ~2-3 years when you can buy cheap overclockable 10core CPUs ;)

All that extra power will go into programming more nested for loops and switch trees.

Are you living in 2005?

I think you must be living in 2005...

Compilers can't fix bad programming, genius. If one thread has to wait on another thread's output, then you won't gain shit from multithreading. It's effectively one thread.

AI can be multithreaded.
Sound can be async
Graphics can now be fully async.

So what is mystical force that is holding you and only you back?

Is there a difference between SMP with 2 x 6 core chips and SMP with 1 x 12 core chip? As far as I knew the NT kernel abstracts this away.

> Sound
> Literally a 22khz channel
> AI
> Independent of game simulaton
The only thing that can be easily branched is graphics, which I already stated. That is why games only care about 2 cores.
> B-but muh windows task manager shows all cores in use!
Yes. It shows 50% of your quad core in use. Life hack: That's 2 cores being used.

Alright maybe I was being nasty, but stop thinking in 2005.

A Frame isn't a 'finished product' any more, it's not something that requires all its component parts to be completed in time and ready to go.
Just like what happened in the above scenario when something didn't complete and the frame didn't draw, if a task isn't done by the frame draw time, just reuse the old data, use the new data once it's done on whatever frame it's ready for.

If there is a massive dispairty between your tasks and frame drawing time, then optimise and remove shit or lower quality tasks do complete in that time, watchdogs and dynamic culling of objects are good here too.

>ws motherboards
>gaming

back to linusshittips faggot

Congrats on explaining why Video output can do okay as an asynchronous process. Running core engine code is a whole different beast. Causal data requirements are causal. No amount of compiler magic can fix that. Sucessful, asynchronous multi processing still belongs to skilled programmers. It does not happen on its own and the proof is in games that DON'T scale past 2 CPUs.

Compilers don't have to fix anything.

AI is task/job based - everything is just handed in as its completed...
Insignificant engine tasks aren't doing bugger all now.

Intel got greedy and locked down overclocking for all dual or higher socket count Xeons. If you want that tiny sliver of more performance that generation you gotta cough up the big bucks.
That, and the fact at this point in time its possible to put a shitton of cores onto a single die whereas back then the best you could do was 4-6c (see: Dunnington, Nehalem, Westmere, Thuban) per die, and high core counts in a single system required multiple dies and thus multiple processors.

AMD is going to throw a spanner in Intels works, but I don't expect them to do too much, they're complicit in this too...

Where is my OC'able G34 platform - oh thats right 'no market'

USB 3.1 was made by Intel, thus requiring an intel chipset to be able to use it. Do you honestly think they're going to hand it to over to their closest competitor.

Yes, because it's USB.
It's part of a standard working group.

Anyone who pays into the working group has FRAND access to all of the patents submitted to the group.

>jump disquette
>not a perforated card

More like an overclockable G34 setup would pull so much power it would destroy the board the chips are on. I knew a guy who had a set of Mangy-Cours Opteron ES chips and had gotten them all up to somewhere like 3.5ghz. Keep in mind, 4 processors, each with 2 6-core CPU chips inside meant 8 individual dies and 48 cores, and if ONE of those cores was lame, the voltage across the other 47 would have to be raised at the same time as the voltage on the lame core to compensate.
Their power consumption ended up somewhere in the 1100W range at the wall, and the board burned out a week later.

It simply was not practicable on G34 especially since the clusterfuck that was Bulldozer and Piledriver came out later.

Compilers fix lots of stuff. There is a while lot of overhead associated with switching processes and such. Threading allows that overhead to be handled without getting in the way of the main program. That means more CPU time for the core sim to run its triple nested for loops.
A compiler can't make bad programming good. That is post singularity magic.

>I await the sexual singularity with open anus
FTFY

There are generally three classes of hardware:

>Workstation
pure shit
>Gaming
decent and affordable, but marketed towards kids
>Server
good and expensive

I buy server components where I can, but for motherboards that's not really realistic so “gaming” is the next best thing. I would totally buy a dual-CPU “gaming” motherboard and then not play a single game on it.