Youtube sound quality

m.youtube.com/watch?v=ArOwMxU4l2Y
How does this sound so good?
Almost all other music on YT sounds much more compressed.
My DT990's don't reaval any audible compression, but I thought Youtube only went up to 128 AAC?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2A9y6BKvbO8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Audio
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile : LC
Codec ID : 40
Duration : 3mn 45s
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 192 Kbps
Maximum bit rate : 203 Kbps

>Bit rate : 192 Kbps AAC
Cool.
That's odd though. I didn't think YT went that high.

okay, that's actually fairly impressive.

I can download m4a from youtube nowadays. It's nice. I don't /ptg/ sp it's nice to be able to listen to good quality audio of things that are hard to find, e.g. youtube.com/watch?v=2A9y6BKvbO8

Got a spectrogram right here. It actually goes up super high. LC is the 2nd best for quality/compression as far as AAC goes, and yeah, it's actually really impressive how far up that went. Probably helps that the video is static.

just use soulseek

>LC
I'm a pleb. Pls spoonfeed me the meaning of the acronym.

LoliCon

Low Complexity

Not a pleb in that area, bud.

You need to be 18 or older to post on this website.

Jokes on you, I turned 18 a few months ago.

Sounds pretty horrible to me, Think that is just because the song is so extremely gay though.

^

>not listening exclusively to christian rock
sure is summer in here

LC = Low-Complexity Profile. AAC has 4 different 'modes.' I'm oversimplifying for sake of explanation here, but basically the 4 modes are this:

AAC: Standard AAC. WAY better than MP3 for quality/compression ratio.

AAC-LC: "second gen" AAC. It's what iTunes uses as standard. Easy on the CPU, and it gets about 25% smaller than normal AAC for the same quality, depending on source.

AAC-HE: AAC High Efficiency. Originally designed for audio streaming for video/audio chats and such, has since gotten higher quality options. Almost as good as Opus at the same quality, but still worse by about 25%. Better than LC by about another 25%, maybe 50% in ideal cases.

AAC-HE-V2: This is the next-gen streaming codec as far as AAC goes. It's as small and low-latency as Opus, but it is mono audio (1 source, no left/right balance), and clipped to a really narrow band. So it sucks ass and you should never use it.

I don't want no modern religion.

Note: I'm pulling those percentages mostly out of my ass, it's just what I've observed when working on my own music library.

Thanks a lot.
So you said LC is second best.
I take it that the HE variant is the best?
Or is plain AAC what you meant!

*?
(don't frequent Sup Forums if that wasn't obvious)

AAC-HE is the best variant of AAC for most music. Ever used ffmpeg? If so, it's super easy to get super good compression compatible with iOS and Android. Convert stuff like this:

ffmpeg -i file.wav -c:a libfdk_aac -vbr 3 -profile:a aac_he file.m4a

That'll give you an acceptable quality balance that brings most music files down to 5mb or less.

To answer your questions in one sentence: AAC-HE is the best, AAC-LC is second best, plain AAC is 3rd best, and AAC-HE-V2 is dead last and awful.

If Opus is so hot, why is it so uncommon? At least it seems to be.

there's also 160k OPUS available

Opus is great, but Apple, Google, and Microsoft do not support it by default in any of their operating systems. All of them support AAC.

The reason for this is the x264 committee people cabal whatever. AAC is deeply tied to x264, which is a video compression algorithm. This compression algorithm is tied to a lot of Hollywoo stars and celebrities, and basically the whole world supports it; goddamn iPhones have a chip built in to decode it without wasting too much battery. The people who develop this algorithm have a lot of money, a lot of lawyers, and a lot of business ties.

Opus is an open source codec which is technically superior in every way, but remains unsupported because nobody who develops it has any ties to any big business people. So, x264 + AAC remain dominant, despite the obvious superiorities of other codecs like Opus.

Again, this is an oversimplification for the purposes of explanation, so many details are missing, but any user who has more detail on this should feel free to chime in.

Also, a small demonstration of what I mean with "good quality, good size."

Spectrograms are usually the most reliable way to tell how high quality a music file is. I have a WAV lossless song I want to compress, so I run it through that ffmpeg thing I told you about. If you look at the size before and after, you'll notice a huge difference. Uncompressed WAV is 87mb, while the compressed AAC-HE is only 3.4mb.

The spectrograms below, labelled "M4A" and "WAV" respectively, show the relative quality of both of these files. If you look at the WAV spectrogram, you'll notice that the "spikes" don't stop until they hit the top of the image. On the M4A, you can see that the spikes are capped hard very near the top. With something like MP3 at this same file size, you would see the "spikes" capped much lower than that, leading to lower quality. M4A here is actually doing pretty great; listening to that, you shouldn't be able to tell much of a difference between the WAV and the AAC.

So, there you go. That AAC should also be able to play on any given Android or iOS device, along with all macOS, ChromeOS, and Windows operating systems by default.

(quick note: AAC is a codec/algorithm for compressing audio, M4A is the "bin," or the "container," that that algorithm deposits its data in. I use the two interchangeably here, very sorry if it confused you)

Interesting.
Very informative, user.

Thank you. I try.

where the fuck is barneyfag

>Opus is an open source codec which is technically superior in every way, but remains unsupported because nobody who develops it has any ties to any big business people.
Google uses Opus in all it's latest-gen stuff including Youtube. It will serve Opus to you if your browser supports it.
Microsoft is one of the three major co-developers of Opus. Broadcom and Xiph are the other two.
Not sure where you get the hippie vibe from.

Damn, sorry. This is just what I've read about it; I don't follow the politics too closely, I just use it because it's nice. I knew Google had been adopting it somewhat lately, but I didn't know they shipped it if your browser supported it; I had just heard it was supported in the latest Android beta in the music app.
And TIL about Broadcom and Microsoft's involvement. As I said, thank you for chiming in.