I'm 23 and I just started seriously programming, I've been programming since I was 16 though. is it too late?

I'm 23 and I just started seriously programming, I've been programming since I was 16 though. is it too late?

Other urls found in this thread:

host-a.net/u/aurlito/tetrorica.zip
news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6172048.stm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Yes

it was always too late

Probably.
Depends on your general mindset.

Do you dream in code?

>tfw same situation and age as OP but didn't start at 16

I you can think simple, quick and efficiently you should be fine

* If

Why would you be too late?

>tfw 24 with no prior knowledge of OOP or any programming outside of simple php
>Asked to program in oop for a company project.

>programming
It is already too late for you

I pull out my Ono-Sendai Cyberspace 7

Depends what you mean by too late.

Too late to take advantage of the fact that your brain is much more maleable and skills are naturally easier to learn when you are younger? A little bit. You missed the big window where it's easiest to pick up new concepts and apply them. But you're still pretty young so the window isn't closed yet and you haven't gotten to the point where your age will be a hinderance.

If you mean too late to learn and be proficient given enough discipline and motivation? Not at all. You've got another 20 years before shit starts just getting hard to learn.

If you seriously program for about 5 hours every day and build a good portfolio, you can get good enough for non code monkey jobs in about 3 years.
Getting a degree is nice but not really required if you are good enough and can network.

How do I build a good portfolio, sempai?

It's far too late op. Other things that are too late for you include learning to play the piano, learning gardening skills and learning how to skate on ice. All of these things are things must must be done before you're 14. It's impossible to learn these skills after all this time.

it's already too late. programming is a dead end, pajeet rules there now.

Definitely not. I started programming at 16 but I wouldn't say I actually knew how to program well until 24+ and at age 29 when I finally decided to get a job in the industry I got one right away, but I probably could have done that any time from 27 forward.
It helps if you're NEET while you learn though.

Nah it's not too late. You won't be as good as someone who started at age 14 or 8, but if you work hard you can still become very talented.

Sup guys. Sorry I was asleep. Thanks for your votes of confidence. btw this is what I made with GM when I was 15:

host-a.net/u/aurlito/tetrorica.zip

70% GM coding script. I immediately jumped to PHP, then C#. I didn't code for a while, then picked it up again.

I can think like a programmer, I just need a lot of practice. I don't think I'm late at all.

I learned the basics when I was 16 but never did anything with it. At 22, I picked it up again and got serious about it.

Now I'm 23 and working as an embedded systems developer.

>It helps if you're NEET while you learn though.
This user speaks truth.

In my case, I became obsessed with computers/programming to the point where I drove myself into NEETdom by ignoring my classes and flunking out of school.

By the time my money ran out a few months later, I was able to start landing small time web dev contracts to pay my bills while I kept honing my skills for more fulfilling work.

Are you me? I dropped out of English two years ago to become a cinematographer, then a VFX comp guy, then knowing that I knew how to program since I was 16 I picked up C# Yellow Book two weeks ago. Right now I can only program some basic stuff though. I tried to make a Tic Tac Toe I once made in GM using C# and WPF but it got a little bit verbose so I decided to practice with smaller snippets.

Depends on what you want to do. Contributing to oss is something to consider, though you should really look at the portfolio of professionals in your field and compare. If you feel you have some experience under your belt you can also ask people to review your portfolio.

If you're going to go the no degree and self teach path, I suggest going to local tech meetups if your area has them. You'll meet the people who will most likely end up giving you jobs or introducing you to the people who will, and you'll also start getting exposure to a wide variety of tech disciplines.

There's a lot of different skillsets in programming, and finding one you can get pumped about will let you go from maybe 2 hours a day learning to 10 if you really like it.

I like web dev with ASP.NET and C#.

If that's what floats your boat, then great. I'd still explore. When I started, I thought I was all about front end development, but that was just cuz it was the first thing I learned to do well. Now I'm into kernel hacking and OS work.

Even if you end up with what you start with, it's great to know a little about everything because you never know when it will come into play.

>tfw mid twenties and feel on top of my learning capabilities
Teens having it easy with learning is a meme

No, I started at 23 on a computing masters and I'm a full stack developer now.

Past couple nights ive been dreaming program ideas and video game ideas but i dont know how to code at all and this has never happened to me before

Start by making a logo for it :^)

No the fuck it isn't dumbfuck.

Brain malleability is a real thing and younger children are better at learning, especially long-term skills like programming or athletics or learning a new language.

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6172048.stm

Not everything is a god damn meme and your anecdotal bullshit means nothing.

/triggered

There is hope for me, woohoo!!!

>26 with a bachelor's
>found out I didn't like It too much
>don't know a lick of programming

Wat do?

>and I'm a full stack developer now.
>and I'm now a guy who does multiple people's jobs while getting paid for just one
Good job!

>Now I'm 23 and working as an embedded systems developer.
cool

what exactly do you do?

how on earth did it take you 3 years to figure out?

Graduated when I was 24 now 26 and I still don't know what the fuck I want to do. I feel like I'm just getting too old to start my life.

Not too late never to late. You're just 23 dude go for it.