Please tell me how adding extra metal around a plug, in this case gold-plating it, will somehow improve signal quality

Please tell me how adding extra metal around a plug, in this case gold-plating it, will somehow improve signal quality

Other urls found in this thread:

thehouseofsolidgold.com/earbuds-18k-solid-gold/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Only if the one put in is gilded too.

Nice quadruple dubs

Gold does not corrode. Corrosion decreases signal throughput, degrading signal quality. Same reason high throughput PC connectors (SATA etc) are gold plated.

>will somehow improve signal quality
How about you go back to Sup Forumseddit you dumb faggot?

Gold is a very non reactive metal and It will not oxidise which would reduce signal quality.

How about instead of being an angry little basement dwelling cunt, you read the thread and realise you have just repeated what someone else has already said, you angry little basement dwelling cunt?

Analog inputs like this one have a direct correlation between conductivity and signal quailty. Metals like gold conduct electricity much better than metals like copper and therefore are better at transmitting an analog signal.

It is important to note that this ONLY applies to analog signals. Besides being resistant to corrosion (if your plugs are corroding you're doing it wrong), a gold-plated HDMI cable will have literally no effect on the quality.

You didn't specify what type of signal.

Lower contact resistance reduces linear losses in the connector.
Rusty contacts can have nonlinear electrical properties - this adds harmonic distortion to the signal.
Gold plated contacts are mechanically better since if the connector is jostled a lower resistance path is maintained. You don't want a rust spot sliding across the contacts and creating pops and glitches in the signal.

Gold plated contacts help reduce sudden changes in impedance at connectors, which reduces signal reflections, inter-symbol interference, and power losses.

At high power levels, gold plated connectors make a significant difference in the amount of power that is dissipated inside the connector.

Except copper actually has higher conductivity than gold you cuck

It also corrodes.

Effectively it doesn't, it's more or less a marketing gag.

Downvoted

How many times have your connectors corroded?

Gold improves signal quality by maintaining a good signal over time. Gold doesn't corrode in air like copper does.

Actually it matters in digital connectors too, because of you don't have good enough contact you can get misinterpreted signals (a zero that is too high and skips over the barrier above which the signal is counted as 1 or the reverse case), but the effects are far easier to observe in analog signals.

Checked, checked, checked and checked.

it won't, it's a meme.

extremely impressive dubdubdubdubs.

>gold conduct electricity much better than metals like copper
not. checked 4x tho

this fucking thread

>not buying solid gold earphones
it's like you don't like better quality sound
thehouseofsolidgold.com/earbuds-18k-solid-gold/

it won't rust or be chemically active
and the amount of gold to do it is infinitesimal

in air? 10/10 times

Not getting any karma for you

No gold for you :(

>this yhtead

Rate my corrosion bois

corroded/10

It increases the linearity of the quantum nanoflow. You probably aren't on a level where you can grasp it yet.

oxidation != corrosion.

???

Well then, excuse me. Its rekt anyways. Still not sure if noise is coming from it or piezo pickup on my guitar.

>oxidation != corrosion.
Corrosion is a natural process, which converts a refined metal to a more stable form, such as its oxide, hydroxide, or sulfide

he's wrong

Oxidisation is a form of corrosion.

That jack is corroded.

Fuck of aspie.

Silver is the best conductor

If your HDMI connector is corroding to the point of signal loss you should
A) Buy a new one for $15
B) stop plugging and unplugging it eighteen times a day

Silver also oxidizes like a cunt. We need a metal that is chemically inert and a decent conductor. Try to keep up.

Gold makes the audio crisper and deepens the soundstage

still true. Silver is the best conductor.
Guess what switches are made from

Silver tarnishes, not oxidzes

None, because they're gold plated

>Please tell me how adding extra metal around a plug, in this case gold-plating it, will somehow improve signal quality
It...doesn't? That isn't what that is for. The gold just prevents corrosion.

Sup Forums is dead

Yes it is.

I have several old ones that have rust spots all around

Wat