Anybody here using Seagate?

Anybody here using Seagate?

Other urls found in this thread:

tweaktown.com/articles/6028/dispelling-backblaze-s-hdd-reliability-myth-the-real-story-covered/index.html
storagereview.com/hgst_4tb_deskstar_nas_hdd_review
techspot.com/review/619-wd-black-4tb/page7.html
hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/58267-western-digital-black-4tb-hard-drive-review.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Yes for 8 years.

STILL ALIVE

Everybody.

I have the exact model that everyone claims to be the one which caused this chart.
I have no issues whatsoever with it. Hell, I even dropped it from a good 30 odd inches up and it still works fine.

At least post the statistics from this year

keep crying bae

I haven't bought a Seagate drive in some time, mainly out of objection to their reduction in warranty period.

Nonetheless, Blackblaze has shit methodology, and their drive "reliability study" should not be trusted

>buys consumer grade drives, runs them harder than consumers will 24/7 for enterprise workloads
>makes custom enclosures to fit drives, putting a ton of them in one thing- shock absorption is not adequate by Blackblazes' own admission- so the drives are subject to intense heat and vibration they were never intended for
>gets drives from sketchy sources to get them cheaper - for instance, having people buy external drives at costco and ship them to them, they disassemble and remove the hard drive inside
>sometimes these drives are refurbished, used, or defective
>>bought a ton from one particular model of 3TB Seagate drives that turned out to have an issue, especially when combined with the above

I'd be more concerned about price, individual drive reviews, warranty, running a drive fitness test when receiving the drive, one month in, and yearly thereafter versus painting an entire brand as reliable or unreliable.

I have 3 1TB Seagate drives and they've lasted 3 years so far.

Got one that's 5 years old now, still going strong (2TB) and another that's 3 yeas old (also 2TB) and a 3 year old WD (1TB)

This was after they got rid of the shitty 3tb and 1.5tb Seagates, in 2016 the failure rates dropped significantly once they started using more reliable models in the even numbers
HGST still god tier though

Nah, I'm not a fan of Seagate. Or Western digital for that matter. I am waiting for the WD Gold 4TB to come in stock again so I can buy one of those though.

>hgst

Never heard of that company until now.

HGST = Hitachi Global Storage Technologies

Also, HGST isa wholly owned subsidiary of Western Digital

>tfw all my hdd are hgst

Oh that's Hitachi. Okay I know them. I'll buy their HDDs from now on I guess .

Only 1TB ones

my 1 tb samsung portable hdd is seagate. 1.5 years and going stronk, had to replace its cable though.

WD: let's gimp the firmware even more so people buy our most expensive drive
Seagate: Make everything as cheap as possible, even store the firmware on the drive because expensive memory chips
HGST: Don't change what's working well, even if the drive will be loud

Yes, my Seagate drive works fine.

HGST is gonna get integrated into WD so you ain't gonna enjoy that for long.

I've had this main computer with a seagate 2tb hard drive for 4 1/2 years now. It still works but It's REALLY fucking slow, like laughably slow.

Daily reminder that HGST Desktop NAS drives have the best reliability/performance/price ratio for desktop users.

>Deathstars

nooooooooo

Deskstars are a different line. Desktop NAS and Deskstars are not the same at all.

Nothing wrong with Deskstars.

I got a 4tb external seagate to replace my 1tb external hitachi that died. If I'm reading OP's chart correctly, that apparently makes me a special snowflake.

Even number hdd sizes are usually very reliable

PLANNED OBSOLESCENCE

WD Re/Gold and Black are still king

Black gets Whited by this baby right here EAZILY

I heard reds are slow and mediocre, is that the case or am I wrong?

tweaktown.com/articles/6028/dispelling-backblaze-s-hdd-reliability-myth-the-real-story-covered/index.html

They are storage drives, so it really depends on what you mean by "slow and mediocre".
The 8TB ones are HGST helioseal drives running at lower RPM, so they have very high performance even when compared to non-storage drives. But the smaller ones are slower than high performance drives like WD Blacks

Anything to back up that "fact"?

Backblaze is not a source as they don't use Blacks.
Blacks have 2 year more warranty.

Reds are 5400 rpm unless my memory is hazy and don't take vibration very well.

Red Pro is better than Reds and do have a 5 year warranty

And I was talking about the Re being king.
Re is an enterprise drive.

>eazily
Blacks have a 200k hours higher MTBF

It would have been different had you been talking about the enterprise HGST ultrastar .
But you're just an idiot.

seagate 3tb from a few years back
still 100% drivehealth

Wow.

About 4 years ago I dropped a 320gb western digital blue from maybe 18-20 inches and the damn this was done for. I only owned it for maybe 6 weeks. I was upset.

>200k hours higher MTBF

Where are you drawing this number from?

WD Red has 1 million hours. HGST Deskstar NAS has 1 million hours too. I doubt WD Black outperforms WD Red in this regard.

>Anything to back up that "fact"?
storagereview.com/hgst_4tb_deskstar_nas_hdd_review
While the general performance is slightly below Blacks, Dekstar NAS cost less and are more reliable. Setting up a RAID should be better with them.

3TB Seagate died last year to a clicking halt.
Current status of the 1.5TB

> are more reliable
Where did you get that from the article?

techspot.com/review/619-wd-black-4tb/page7.html
"Without the Hitachi drive on hand it is hard to say, that said, given our past experience with smaller Deskstar 7K4000 and WD Black hard drives, we tend to believe spending that little bit extra is worth it. In the past we have found the Black drives to be faster and more reliable, and looking at feedback online from owners of each drive, this also seems to be the general consensus."

hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/58267-western-digital-black-4tb-hard-drive-review.html
Black has a 1.2million hour MTBF