What distro do you run, and why?

What distro do you run, and why?

I used to run Arch but nowadays I run Debian minimal testing with i3 because it just twerks

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hyV4qGAPKac
github.com/KittyKatt/screenFetch
youtube.com/watch?v=37D2bRsthfI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I ran Debian testing for a long, long time. Been around the block, tried almost every other distro I ever heard of. These days I just use Ubuntu because it's pretty fire and forget; I can chuck it on anything and not have to mess with it too much post-install.

I still miss Debian testing sometimes, but I can't be bothered to install it anymore.

Ubuntu because I am a noob.

Arch because I like the minimal install and being bleeding edge

Slackware because I have everything I need as I want it, and I don't like change.

Debian Jessie, don't know why, I tried a lot of distros but I don't have any problem with this one yet.

Ubuntu because it's the only distro with good font rendering.

Fedora. as a contrarian, i wanted to try out an RPM distro. in comparison to most deb distros Fedora feels new, polished and it just works. also i think i prefer the Red Hat style of corporate involvement to Canonical.

Been using Debian testing for a good while now.
I'm thinking of moving to Ubuntu though, since lots of third party software I use is written for Ubuntu and the compatibility problems are a big hassle when they happen.

Debian. It's the most mature distro with great persons running it. Debian has done a lot for the Linux community. Almost all software developed for Linux works with Debian.

Is it wise to install Debian Unstable for a day-to-day computer? I've been with Arch for about 1.5yrs, and I'd like to try something new. Is it for me?

Honestly, stay with Arch. You will miss pacman, AUR and other good things. If ypu are bored with Arch, then Debian will be worse. If you want bleeding edge, use a distro that has this. I never heard of Arch Unstable, just Arch. It may be unstable but at least everyone runs the same version of it.

I use testing on my laptop, zero problems at all

Bait.

same, though i love debian

my biggest issue with fedora is it's way too gimped out of the box and relies so much on 3rd party repos

No, I'm genuinely curious.

Thanks. The only reason I'm considering leaving Arch is because I'm having an issue with setting the wifi network. Running

ip link set wlp2s0 up

works, but wifi-menu complains.

If I try to use NetworkManager (or nmcli) X crashes, and if I haven't logged into another VT then it will permanently freeze. Xorg shows no crash information either - as though the crash came from NetworkManager. Other threads have blamed wpa_supplicant as being responsible, and suggest backporting to an older version of it.

Trisquel.

Sorry, I didn't know you had problems. Did you try the LTS kernel? Arch is running perfectly for me, but it doesn't matter. I hope you can solve this somehow.

I use Arch on two of my computers, but I've used Ubuntu on recent installs. Packages I like are either simple to install manually or have PPAs, so I don't really care about the AUR anymore. Plus it looks great out of the box, and I don't really gotta set up shit.

TempleOS because i hate CIA niggers

No worries. Yeah, currently running lts.

>debian stable
it never failed

Moved from windows 10 to Debian after a few days it was released, and it wasn't actually because it is a botnet.

Debian Jessie with the grsec kernel from back ports; it's very comfy.

What was the reason? Upgrade to Win10 break your install?

I used Debian testing for years and then I tried sid and it was pretty much the same in terms of stability so I just kept using it. Hasn't given me major problems, especially with apt-listbugs and apt-listchanges.

It was because it was genuinely annoying, telling me to update and blocking my screen. I'm not against updating, but I should be able to update the system when I want.

After terminating the process the first few times, it wasn't able to end it (I guess they fixed that "solution") so I just went back to Linux (I was trying Elementary for a few months before win 10)

>it was because it was

god damn it

10/10 for using a Stallman-approved distro. Perhaps it's time to upgrade your kernel, though?

I want this image as a background. Do you have it in a reasonable resolution?

Mind sharing your code for network support? :^)

time to fork TempleOS

Why do you give a shit what the hack Stallman thinks? Free software is a joke.

Go back to sucking Bill Gates' tiny botnet dick

uhhhhhhh

OpenSUSE Tumbleweed.

It seemed fun. Up to date software. Woot!

Kwin hasn't worked in days. Thunderbird crashes on startup, and so does KMail. (I have to check my email with *alpine* now, for crying out loud!) My wifi oscilates between working and not working.

I want off the Tumbleweed.

I may switch to using the linux-libre site's PPA which has much more frequent kernel updates.

Eric S Raymond uses it, Linus used it at some point.

Characterising a distro is a cancer way of thinking. Or installing esoteric stuff.

tumbleweed is good as long as you keep the default repos

Debian, because it's the most familiar distro to me and NetBSD support hasn't quite matured for my SBC yet

Ubuntu with xmonad. I used to waste my time with different distributions but now I just use Ubuntu because it patches the absolute horrendous font rendering and basically all third party closed source software is only tested on Ubuntu and RHEL. The servers at my work also use Ubuntu LTS so I prefer to run the exact same setup on my development machine.

Ubuntu mate aka maximum comfy.

Fedora because it is (relatively) bleeding edge and just werks. So I can focus on my studies and not have to waste time configuring "everything" I install.

Debian Jessie + XFCE

Donald Knuth also uses/used Ubuntu. And he's a god

I've had installs not work properly between stable releases. Fedora isn't for me.
That's amazing!
Does he still write in pure TeX, or does he use one of the wrappers like LaTeX or conTeXt?

I have no idea dude, but I wouldn't be surprised if he did

>Fedora isn't for me.
O-okay...

fedora

because i figured out that RHEL is much stable and better performance-wise.

Never had a broken repo in 6 months now, where with fucking (((( ubuntu )))) or debian i would have got a broken repo in like 1 month

GoboLinux, since I was trying something different.
A different Computer has Netrunner, and an old laptop had DragonflyBSD (i386 since it's an early pentium laptop. OpenSUSE Tumbleweed is in a VM for testing as it is very tempting.

youtube.com/watch?v=hyV4qGAPKac

SABAYON
A
B
A
Y
O
N
I use arch, gentoo and opensuse depending on what I need, but I found something that for me it showed super comfy as fuck
>"just werks" gentoo
If you really need to tweak it to the max, then you might as well install gentoo, if you need something pragmatic install sabayon
>keeps it simple, stupid
unless you do something very specific like cluster computing, audio processing/recording or an altcoin miner why would would you need to invest days configuring an install or removing packages that you don't need
>uses openrc
for those who don't like the D
>you can still use gentoo features
true multilib, multiple package versions, sourcering, etc

YOU Boon tooo ftw :DDD

This screenshot took me quite a while to get, my browser kept crashing. Nice stability debian.

>Nice stability debian
Good bait, I bet you'll get at least one.

I have CentOS 7.2 in a VM from local testing before I push to production. I used to use Fedora but I'm an OS X faggot now.

I'm considering moving to Debian or Ubuntu because these same update reasons. The only thing i worried about it gaming. Or should i just not worry about it and dual boot?

Like, what resolution do you want it in? 1920x1080? 1600x900?

>1920x1200 is not reasonable

LXLE because it plays well with Broadcom hardware and I'm not an spegotronic elitist.

Debian. It just werks.

>>>>>>>>ppppppppppuuuuuuuuulsssssssssseeeeeeeeeeeeeeaudio
enjoy you're botnet

>cinnamon
>pulseaudio

i hate you.

Lubuntu because I'm new to linux.
i3 because minimum RAM usage.

Xubuntu on my T420. It just works. Kinda tempted to try another distro.

Arch, AUR us comfy and pacman is clean. Add the God tier wiki

win10 enterprise distro with router firewall rules
b4 you answer
>muh gaymes bby

What command so you use to display system info. I can't find it anywhere

sudo rm -rf / && screenfetch

I use Fedora for multiple reasons. For one, I work with CentOS/RHEL servers at work so coming home to a Fedora desktop is just comfy. For another it's one of those distros that are already set up for you like your Ubuntus and your openSUSEs, but with less shit pre-installed that you just end up removing later. You put in very little work over what you would with an Ubuntu install and the result is a much cleaner, faster, and more logical system. I typically just use "Workstation" which comes with GNOME 3, but I do have a netbook and a few older machines running Xfce.

its a handy little program called screenfetch. here:
github.com/KittyKatt/screenFetch

Elementary OS, because it looks so great.

Arch
-AUR support
-Good Wiki

It's the perfect DIY distro

Gentoo

It's the only distro that lets me use my computer the way I want to use it

Install Fedora Rawhide

It does. I've been thinking about installing it myself. How good/bad is it?

Tried many distros always came back to Debian

Sweet-OS

Either do this if your hardware supports VT-d:
youtube.com/watch?v=37D2bRsthfI
Or dual boot.

25% of games run on Linux natively
50% run via WINE
For the other 25% you could either dual boot or use VGA passthrough if you have a spare GPU

shut up with ur swf "OS"

I use Ubuntu for day to day stuff. It just werks. However, seriously considering taking an entire weekend and switching my stuff over to arch.

I can understand the hate towards cinnamon, but whats wrong with pulse? Im a noob when it comes to linux

>a pic of it not werking

ok debbrah

Linux Mint Cinnamon and Xfce.

It works beautifully out of the box. I've never had a problem with drivers, except with proprietary Nvidia drivers on my desktop, but I eventually got it working. In some cases, out-of-the-box driver support was even better than Windows. Xfce with the "new" Whisker menu is awesome on my laptop. I've been testing out Linux Mint 18 MATE and will probably switch to that.

I've also used Xubuntu, Lubuntu, and CrunchBang on my laptop.

I generally prefer Debian-based or Ubuntu-based distros simply because it's very easy to find solutions to the rare problems I may have. If I ever make the switch to a different family of distros, it will probably be Manjaro for the same reason. I've actually used the Arch wiki for a few issues I've had in Linux Mint, and it was very detailed.

>just werks
>Literal glitch in terminal
God, why do debqueens resort to such mental gymnastics?

Windows 2000: Linux Edition

I have been running solely Fedora for about 4 years. The mediocre repositories are my only issue, but I'd really like a larger software library. WINE only seems to work for smaller programs. My question is, do Ubuntu-oriented programs typically run on Debian? I know vice-versa would work, since Ubuntu is a Debian fork. I just want more software without running Ubuntu.

There's no reason to run Debian over Ubuntu on a desktop.

FREEDOM