I just got hit by a pretty bad virus hidden in a torrent which windows defender could not detect and task manager could...

I just got hit by a pretty bad virus hidden in a torrent which windows defender could not detect and task manager could not close and that could not be deleted manually.

How can I make sure that there is nothing else running secretly? I ran hitman pro and that got rid of everything obvious but I'm still nervous.

My God, even Windows Defender couldn't detect it?!

ya seems like OP got something really nasty

only way to fix is to Install gentoo and use their ultron antivirus package.

Install gentoo OP

you reformat and start fresh after backing up any important documents or pictures and stop torrenting executables.

And even with administrator permissions it was undeletable

Run a scan with RogueKiller

>getting a virus

OP is the kind of guy who installs the recommended software, who opens the blank subject line email, who doesn't wash his hands after a piss, who attempts to download more ram, who tries to help out the Nigerian Prince claim his fortune, etc

It was a torrent with 5000 seeders, I thought it was safe. And anti virus didn't detect anything wrong with it.

It was just a ruse though.

As soon as I opened it I realised, but it was too late. Tons of adware and shit, luckily no encryption viruses though.

What was the upload date OPie?

Sometimes, I have seen uploads on the same day on which I am browsing through the available tarruents, which somehow seem to have tons of seeds?
The other frequent give away is when you see file that should be size "x" and yet the upload lists it as a few megabytes.

Anyways, even though you can remove viruses off of the OS OP, I would highly recommend a fresh install of windows. I haven't had a virus in a long time, but every time I ever had one, I would reinstall the OS.

Alternatively, switch to Linux.

Today. I think part of the virus may be running a fake torrent client so that every infection adds to the seed count since I didn't actually get 5000 seeders come up when I was downloading.

I got properly bamboozled.

>Today
epic

Its okay OP. Last time I got a virus was when I was trying to download a webm converter, and ended up with some adware.

I removed it through ccleaner, rkill, tdsskiller, mbam, spybot search and destroy, not in any particular order though, I just run them all as rule of thumb.

I love you OP

Here's a list of alternatives:
>boot up a linux livecd, delete the fucker
>fresh windows install
>run malwarebytes chameleon and pray the virus is in someone's definitions
>install gentoo

Unscrew the harddrive from the computer, hit it with a propane torch for 5-10 minutes or until glowing red.
Then trow in lake.

Replace the motherboard too, in case the BIOS has been infected.

The only way to be sure is to reinstall. Not even trolling, but on any OS that would be the best response to an infection.

Well if I were you I would just zero fill your HDD to be sure that you got the virus and just reinstall Windows... or this could be a perfect opportunity to make the switch to GNU/Linux either way I would zero fill that bitch and start anew

Oh and for antivirus on your new install I would go with Common Sense 2016 Platinum Edition

>uses windows
U deserve what you get for using a botnet OS faggot

install gentoo

Hilarious, most don't even get the sarcasm.

Windows Defender is literally the worst antivirus you could possibly use, its detection rate is abysmal.

>be me
>unknown charges on my credit card
>someone from Ukraine

How the fuck did this happen?

Did I get haxxored?

What do y'all think is the best free antivirus program?

don't torrent software you fucking NEET

you retards are hilarious, you'll install any XXX_FALLOUT4_NO_CD_CRACK_XXX [RU] random executable, even when there's hilarious redflags like the uploader telling you to ignore the antivirus positive on his exe

>Not torrenting games in current year

Honestly.

Anywho, it turns out that the first antivirus missed some of the viruses. I'm impressed at how good the virus is, it literally removed me as an administrator of my own computer and hid itself throughout the critical files of the operating system with multiple copies that could restore the virus without any of them appearing in the list of startup programs or anything.

I think I got them all the second time but I didn't want to risk it surviving so I used the refresh feature that reinstalls the operating system and clears out everything except your files which stay perfectly safe.

Now it is definitely gone and also fuck the guy who developed this. It's impressive but so cuntish, why don't they do something meaningful instead of adware and malware bullshit.

you shouldn't be pirating games if you can't figure out how to sandbox something

>why don't they do something meaningful instead of adware and malware bullshit.
because retards like you exist lmao

Thank god for Windows' default copy-on-write shadowing and reset your computer to a restore point prior to downloading the torrent.

You should have bought a Mac :^)

What is the best free antivirus for Windows?

In my quests today I discovered that HitmanPro is the best "holy fuck I'm screwed save me without even having admin permissions" and MalwareBytes is the best "find literally everything even those sneaky fuckers hidden everywhere"

So I'd recommend get both and use hitman for emergencies when you know you are infected and the other one for searching generally.