How long would it take to learn a programming language (Java, javascript or C++)?

How long would it take to learn a programming language (Java, javascript or C++)?

I graduated from HS 6 years ago and I never went past Algebra 2.

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/TidOS
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I only made it to 7th grade but it took less than a month to soak in enough to be proficient in python and most of that knowledge transfers to other languages since it's syntax and logical thinking.

Jesus what a whore

exactly 734.8 hours. now fuck off.

Learning to use and making things happen in a language from scratch won't take long, but to make things work well requires intricate knowledge.

For any of those, I'd expect you to finish the first small thing you're happy with in 2 weeks. A text-based number guessing game, for example; something small. Maybe a month, since it's hard to say what you'll want to do, and your definitely going to be too ambitious the first time

6 months to a year.

Less and you'll lack experience

>Less than a month
>2 weeks to a month
>6 months to a year

Idk what to believe.

>Idk what to believe.

The first two are equivalent. That's enough time to learn *something*.

You'll know a lot more after a year, almost to the point where you could say you "learned x" on a resume

be honest, you'd eat her ass!

Take this to the /sqt/

You're pace of learning, motivation, and discipline will determine how fast and good you learn things

Will she ever get her tits out?

if you are of average intelligence
and if you have the drive/motivation to stick with it
and if you find interesting project that pushes you forward after 2 months of basics and practice with challenges...

then after 1 year you might be confident to actually start looking for jobs

is that paty kerry? i'd hump it

>bikinis are haram

Calm down Achmed.

I bet you wouldn't, LOL

Fuck yeah I would

OP I'm a 2010 HS grad that took up programming in 2013,if your programmed everyday none stop you'd be good/decent in 2 years,if you don't it will take longer,it's like trying to go pro.

1. Learn C++ first. It's a much simpler language, and is very strict, and teaches more about how the underlying data works.

2. It completely depends on how much time per day and how much interest you have. You can learn to program in a month, or a year.

3. Your math can hurt you a lot. A lot of concepts from higher level math is used in applications. You don't even know trigonometry, so you couldn't design anything with 3 dimensional space.

Good luck.

Also the basic can be learned in afew months,getting good is the rest of that time frame.

>Learn C++ first. It's a much simpler language
yeah, this person wants people to just quit before they get to actually do stuff
if someone is talented and smart and full of perseverance and copious amount of free time... then sure go for C++

lol dumbfag, I learned to program in about a week

link to your github?

I'd recommend java. Don't listen to the c/c++ faggots, that stuff only becomes simple when you already have a good grasp of everything. A few weeks is enough to start to have an idea how it works but it will take years before you've 'mastered' it. JavaScript has a lot of weird things that will be confusing and you don't want to be using an unmanaged language before you understand why that's even useful

github.com/TidOS

I learned TI-BASIC in about a week using nothing more than the manual that came with my calculator.

Third point is nonsense. No one needs mathematics to learn programming.

To apply programming to an area that requires mathematics means you need to know mathematics.

He wanted to learn, not build a functioning program that people will be using.

C++ is a great learning language cause it punishes you for not doing things right, and it's super easy to debug.

But mathematics is a great tool to have as a programmer.

C++ trips up new comers if no explained correctly which is why C is usually recommend over C++ as a starting language or even python for basics

How do you actually start learning and not get burned out in few weeks?
You can program a website with python right? that seems interesting to learn it as you go on and develop your website. But what is more interesting for would be develop mobilegames or even pc games (simple games with few main mechanics), but this seems much more harder to do and easier to get burned out..

Not even gonna read the thread, I'm sure it's mostly garbage, but here's some real information.

I am a current student at a decent 4-year university in the pacific northwest of the US. I was a CS major until very recently. As of now, I have a completed CS minor. I have WAY more CS classes under my belt than needed for that minor.

Mathematics are extremely fundamentally important to computer science. Without a solid foundation in math, programming is possible, but you will never be very good. That's just a fact, and I'm sorry. That being said, you don't have to be good to make a living doing it. There is massive demand, and people who need programmers don't know a good one from a bad one.

It's hard to say how long it would take. With your level of mathematical knowledge I would stick to Java. Keep in mind I personally only understand Java, C, C++, and Python. I can use them all, but am an expert in none.

As far as difficulty goes, among the language I know, C is the most difficult. It lets you do a lot of things without questioning it, assuming you know what you're doing; this can lead to problems if you don't. C++ is after, then Java, then Python. Python is super easy, but it's not a very widely used language and no employer ever will value Python over any of the other three. Java has a lot of handholding, and this is a good thing. It throws errors over every small issue, so that you know to fix it. That being said, it takes time to learn what all these errors mean and how to fix them. The syntax of Java is also pretty easy to learn, and seems to make a whole lot of sense once you do so.

As far as math requirements go, the level required depends on your interest in the compsci field. If you want to do 3d modeling and other graphics design, you really need to go all the way to Linear Algebra. Which is past Calculus. Otherwise, less math is necessary, but you want calculus and statistics.

1.learn basics
2.build simple programs that you can apply to your life
3.Do projects/learn the tools and learn as you go

Keep it fun for you

You can become a C Programmer in 21 Days

Another program that would be super interesting for me to make, would be poker room program which calculates odds/outs/etc and suggest you to make a call or fold based on them/and your opponent statistics. But to make that i would probably need to be super experienced and smart as fuck in this shit.

So what you would suggest for me? Lets say i learn python, how hard would it be to learn c++ then?

>Java
6 months
>Javascript
3 days
>C++
A lifetime.

Op, you have the wrong attitude and probably won't achieve success in any area of your life with this mentality. :)

>Hypotheticals
The general idea is that once you have an understanding of one language, it's not too difficult to pick up another and its intricacies. I have no idea how stupid or smart you are, how quickly you catch onto things, how motivated you are, how lazy you are, etc., so who knows how long it'll take you to learn Python, let alone C++. You could be like this one guy I know who does nothing but talk about how he's gonna be in NetSec but he just tosses around buzzwords he picks up reading articles on reddit, retweets NetSec news and barely scratches the surface of web development, or you could be like this one guy I met who started out as a history major, became a webshit, and realized that being a webshit wasn't for him and began to put serious time into learning programming. What you get out of learning a programming language is directly related to what you put into it.

There's a lot out there for picking up Python pretty fast; I personally like Al Sweigart's content (Automate the Boring Stuff, etc) since he's 100x better at being an everyman teacher than Zed Shaw. C++ doesn't have an "easy in", so you'll have to hit the books kinda hard for that.

i knock you the fuck out faggot, don't talk shit about my waifu

>being this eager to admit you would tongue someone's bacteria infested shithole
Can't believe how fast a Ciara song normalized this degeneracy

What song?

this

Go to Sup Forums and there is a daily stupid question thread.