Why do people even buy a GPU? I've got an i5 with intelHD integrated graphics. I use my computer for heavy gayuming...

Why do people even buy a GPU? I've got an i5 with intelHD integrated graphics. I use my computer for heavy gayuming. It works perfectly.

Are GPUs just some sort of shilling? I don't see a reason for one if integrated graphics work so well.

Other urls found in this thread:

notebookcheck.net/Intel-Iris-Pro-Graphics-580.160664.0.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Angry Birds and gal games aren't heavy gaming.

I play stuff from >the current year

can you run gentoo tho?

>MOM I POSTED IT AGAIN

I've never posted this thread before.

nothing can run gentoo well, it's gentoo. kek.

Some people can afford monitors higher than 800x600 resolution user

Monitor size barely affects performance in the long run.

I don't doubt that at some point, for light-weight and moderate gaming intel's integrated graphics will be so excellent that there will no longer be a need for GPUs, for the average user.

If it weren't for the price of the latest i5/i7 cpus, I would say that point is now, as you can already play Skyrim on integrated graphics. I realize that it has already been five years, but I remember back then people were saying they had to update their PCs to handle it.

I honestly think that in regards to hardware, things are only going to get better beyond this point. I mean look at the 1080, I am personally not buying one due to their jewish price, but look at that 8gb of GDDR5.

OP is actually right. I'm not going to buy a GPU the next time I get a new machine. The games that have been released during the last years are complete utter shit. Not going to waste $ for those crap games.

Last game I genuinely enjoyed was WoW Vanilla like got knows how many years ago. You can't play those ego shooters anymore because those are infested with Russian cheaters n shit.

OP does have a point, but he took the wrong angle.

He should of done:
>Intel iris graphics are so good, why get a dGPU anymore? Most games nowadays aren't even GPU intensive

worst b8

This is basically what I was trying to get at. Looking back, I look kinda stupid kek.

Alright

Let me see you run Doom on your i5's iGPU.

I don't play doom, but I run overwatch and arkham knight.

I don't play games my hardware can't handle either.

>being contrarian for the sake of being contrarian
simply epic

See
Yeah, we know you aren't going to be playing Doom on Ultra with an i5 igpu, but that isn't the intention here. Besides,
>playing triple A game titles past age 15

I could probably handle it, I just have no real intention of playing it.

...Brah. If the monitor size is smaller, you process less graphics. Simple to understand?

No I get that, I'm just saying that unless it's a tinyass phone screen vs a fucking hugeass monitor, there's not going to be a huge difference in performance.

Resolution matters, each frame takes up space in your gpu's ram.
800x600 frames are tiny file sizes, a 1gb gpu would be overkill, easily 200fps on 800x600 Empire Earth

But 4K images are extremely large. A 1gb gpu could probably only do 20-30fps of Empire earth.

The higher the resolution, the larger the frame file sizes, the less frames a gpu can put out based on how much ram it has.

You can play over watch on integrated graphics because the resolution can be set to 720p, where even a 256mb card can play it.

You can't be serious

Hm, I get what you're saying, but the thing is at one point I actually had a chromebook with ubuntu on it, and I was playing around with a lot of games to see if I could get them to function (out of boredom)

Anyway, I tried making the res smaller constantly, but I only saw an fps increase of maybe 10 at the most. Maybe it's just because it was a shit machine. Either way, I bet you're probably right.

Shitty explanation, not gpu ram is not everything that must be accounted.

10fps is a substantial increase depending of your card. Also, get out Sup Forums.

The actual problem is with the release of better graphics cards, developers can be sloppy and not optimise their games. This is why I respect games that are made at least 8 years ago, when they were forced to worry about performance issues and still make games look great. You've mentioned wow, which can run on a 10 year old computer with 2GB ram and doesn't use more than 20Mb of network bandwidth per hour. The game is a perfection, too bad blizzard got greedy.

I've played ME3 once on my Intel HD 4000, it was horrible. The drivers issued strange artifacts.
Payday 2 didn't work even on 800x600, around 15-20 FPS. I installed my GT 530 for ultimate gaming experience afterwards.

Keeps the CPU cooler.

Why would you remove the cooler?

Zen HBM APU = death of dGPU

wat?

I meant offloading graphics to a separate chip means the CPU doesn't get so hot.

The sourest of grapes

It will it you remove the cooler

So could I play BF4 at 1080p on an i7-6700k iGPU w/ Ultra settings? What about a Core i7-6785R w/ iris pro?

>I use my computer for heavy gayuming. It works perfectly.

Less than 30 fps ain't perfect.

Kek, of course you can't.

My crappy Radeon HD 7770 can probably run GTA V better than your iGPU, just saying. Not that I care much about modern gaming, but it's nice to have some horsepower whenever I do feel like playing something.

Having a good CPU with integrated gpu is fine for low end gaming these days.

You can play a lot of games using just a CPU doing most the work, especially popular easy to run games like CS:GO, LoL, Hearthstone etc.

But if you want to run anything graphically intensive then you need a GPU to play it at respectable FPS and settings.

It's pretty simple. Depends on what you play. If all you play is light gaming then you might not need anything but a CPU or APU.

last time i had a dedicated gpu was over 10 years ago because some boards did not have igpus

Bait

notebookcheck.net/Intel-Iris-Pro-Graphics-580.160664.0.html

I once tried playing skyrim on a i5-3210m (with 8gb 1333mhz ram) laptop, at lowest settings at 768p, it ran ~50fps and didn't drop under 30fps. The same laptop also ran nfs most wanted (the shitty 2012 one) at ~35 fps.

>mfw when my 1GB GPU gets 1000 FPS at 4K in Empire Earth

>intel bread

>nothing can run gentoo well
die

Good point. My a8 7650k works fantastic. Runs gta v on low with some settings turned up, runs battlefield 4 on medium.

And for casual steam shit it's plenty.

You mean actavision got greedy

it's exactly what I'm planning to do, cop a i3 6100, i5 6600k or even an i7 6700 and use the IGP for muh 720p medium or high

>I pressed enter twice

are you retarded?

you need a graphics card, for good graphics

welcome to the internet kid

My new laptop has a skylake 15W i7 and the Iris Pro 540, thing runs Skyrim on high in 1080p at 40fps

>getting this riled up over someone's choice on the net
take your meds bro

>40fps
>respectable
Please choose one and only one.

Both!