Ubuntu Font Rendering

Can someone explain to me why Ubuntu's out of the box font rendering is far superior to almost every other major distribution?

If the technology behind it is open source and readily available to other developers, why do the people behind Fedora, Manjaro, Debian, etc. ship absolute garbage in comparison?

Other urls found in this thread:

arunoda.me/blog/font-rendering-mac-vs-ubunut.html
github.com/bohoomil/fontconfig-ultimate
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

That's a good question.

Ubuntu uses a patched, proprietary version of freetype and I love it. It can be installed on almost every other distro I think.

blurry as fuck

as compared to what?

What do you anons think of pic related?

You can get freetype with the Infinality patches on most distros, yeah. I've never done a real side-by-side comparison, but it's bretty damn good.

stock debian and fedora fonts are significantly better than they were 5 years ago, freetype/infinality if you want better

Awful.

mac and windows

looks like ass desu

Windows doesn't even compete in font rendering, Mac's font rendering is just bold fonts.
arunoda.me/blog/font-rendering-mac-vs-ubunut.html

Mac only looks nice when it's in large sizes at high PPI. Those Ubuntu shots look pretty nice.

OSX's font rendering is designed with hi DPI from the ground up, that's why it's subpar on normal monitors.

Recently i moved from ubuntu to arch and this is one thing that really annoys me. But i found one solution to it and it works.
github.com/bohoomil/fontconfig-ultimate

Because Windows, OSX, Arch and Beos users are too busy doing work to worry about ricing their operating systems. Custom fonts, anime girl backgrounds and tiling windows are for baby girls and children

Just because desktop threads aren't allowed doesn't mean you can indulge in delusions of not ricing.

>dat thicc font
umfff

>windows
My bleeding eyes beg to differ.

best bitmap monospace font?

I like gohu, but it seems too small

and terminus sucks

tewi

>tewi
how about that color scheme tho

Open the image in a new tab you massive winpleb

>terminus sucks
Holy shit, I thought I was the only one who felt this way. I see it being shilled everywhere.

characters are too tall and thin.
no box draw characters it seemed.

when I was using Terminus, I would always set it to bold.

terminus is the comfiest thing i've ever witnessed
you guys don't know shit

This is something I noticed in every distro, even after installing infinality on arch and doing all the patches and work it still remains inferior to Ubuntu font rendering. It's something that they do to their fonts and a mix of special configuration I guess

they are not that bad

good thing arch easily allows you to install fontconfig-ubuntu and freetype2-ubuntu

shit looks peachy yo

I can see the subpixel rendering. That's windows alright.

and this is ubuntu with antialiasing and hinting disabled

Just wait until you experience real font rendering, OP.

The pic is from the github repo. Go ask the dev.

still looks like shit l0l

post yours faggot

It has something to do with graphics drivers, there were a few times when changing drivers would alter the font rendering like it doesn't always look like that.

>Install Infinality
>Can't set font to Roboto
>All monospace fonts broken.
fuck

are you using an AMD gpu

>comparing light and dark text rendering
this pic is for reference

also, what monospace font is that?

>this pic
this pic

I was posting it as an example of shit rendering as a joke, do you really like the terminal font lol? it's the default font of st terminal which comes with dwm

fuck that's a bigger eyesore than the non aliased uggo terminal, just install ubantoo or smth

it is using the ubuntu rendering backend

did you open the pic in a new tab?

yea I zoomed cuz I know what happens when the space is too small to show a pic, it looks exactly like when I installed infinality and left all the settings like that, cute theme tho

Imagine being this much of a shill

the default font for st is Liberation Mono and the default for dwm is the monospace alias

what do these spit out?
fc-match "Liberation Mono"
fc-match monospace

>Mac just makes everything bold
kek

Ubuntu paid the patents to use Adobe's subpixel rendering algorithms.

[jimmy@debugger ~]$
[jimmy@debugger ~]$ fc-match "Liberation Mono"
n022003l.pfb: "Nimbus Mono" "Regular"
[jimmy@debugger ~]$ fc-match monospace
DejaVuSansMono.ttf: "DejaVu Sans Mono" "Book"
[jimmy@debugger ~]$

idk i'm just a simple ARM assembly C and web dev lel

I found it with the power of font autism

it's
-Misc-Fixed-Medium-R-Normal--18-120-100-100-C-90-ISO10646-1

fixed is a font in my list. it's size is overblown (13 on my side I think)? and it's cancer to the eye but I keep it around for shitposting. good job faggot

Turkish?

yeah, with a lil romanian and gyppo blood

So is Infinality needed for Ubuntu? I have it set to Linux with a default of Ubuntu. Is it doing nothing then?

>those folder icons

just off yourself

infinality is still king

>those icons
>my eyes

Other distros just let you to set font rendering, because that isn't necessary for all. You can make arbitrary distro looks like ubuntu by rtfm-ing `man 5 fonts.conf`.

i like termsyn

>T &
>T *
disgusting

I like Ohsnap

>void **(*)()
Jesus fucking christ.

Because Ubuntu embrace non-free software

no. its intel hd 3000.. it does look better with hinting enabled

rate

Does anyone else here use Mactype? It's broken on a lot of sites but it's beautiful.

Also rate

I'm happy with my font rendering.

What are the best Infinality settings?

>proprietary
[citation needed]

I fucking love ubuntu fonts, I use them on arch

void **(*)()

Is this a pointer to a function which returns void**?
Also, why return void**?