Will Composite video ever die?

Other urls found in this thread:

monoprice.com/product?p_id=5689
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>999
It will die soon after VGA

I would perfer a rebirth.

I thought it died years ago

Just today I saw a surveillance camera using one.

My dad and I were just talking about how it's bullshit that it is dying. I was helping him hook up his new TV and we had to sacrifice a component input for composite because there is no dedicated composite input.

It'll probably take a long time to completely disappear, but I wouldn't give it more than another ten years. Just bear in mind how relatively recently devices were still using it proudly.

RPi loves it

So never

Are you trying to hook up an N64 to a new TV or something? Why?

A Wii
>why
Mainly Netflix, but they use it for games occasionally too

monoprice.com/product?p_id=5689

Literally less than $3 you poorfag

>Wii
>Netflix
Get a Chromecast

I'm well aware you fucking dumbass. He wanted to use the Wii on composite because he's got other things that need component, but there is no composite at all and it's not like I can just pull a Wii component cable out of my ass so until that comes in he sort of needs to use the composite cable anyway.

Why get a device for just Netflix when a device they use for more than Netflix already does Netflix? There aren't any open HDMI ports on the TV anyway.

better than goddamn hdmi

>One cable
>Two polarities
>All colors
It is very robust it won't die until something else substitutes.

>waah my TV doesn't have enough ports!
Get an A/V receiver you tard

Oh I see you've decided to state the obvious some more.

>standard definition vs FHD

>my shitty TV doesn't have a dedicated input for a 60 year old format, waah!

They don't give a fuck. They're watching 480p content on a 4k TV right now.

I see absolutely no reason for it to not have at least one dedicated composite port.

Post the exact TV model or fuck off.

How about the fact that it's a brand new 4k TV and nothing that only uses composite has been sold in the last decade?
Why the fuck would the TV manufacturer waste money including an input that most people will never need? Be thankful that TVs still support composite by giving up a component

You sound like an entitled little bitch and tour parents sound like idiots who like to wast their money
>buy a 4k TV
>watch SD content in it
Literally why?

Be a good kid, buy a cheap ass firestick/roku/etc. and blow their mind. My folks never thought a thing about definition until I bought them something that utilizes it.

Why? Proscan PLDED4243A-UHD

>How about the fact that it's a brand new 4k TV and nothing that only uses composite has been sold in the last decade?
How about the fact that there's a metric assload of devices that still use composite?

>You sound like an entitled little bitch
How so?
> and tour parents sound like idiots who like to wast their money
My dad saw the TV for $200 and thought why not? I mean really I can't blame him. It was cheap and now he's done some future proofing.
>Literally why?
They don't have any 4k content yet.

They know of their existence and what they do, if they wanted such a thing they'd have bought it.

>a 60 year old format
If it ain't broke. 3.5mm phone jacks are based on a 150 year old design and are still popular, on Sup Forums and in real life.

>They know of their existence and what they do, if they wanted such a thing they'd have bought it.
My folks new of their existence, but they thought it was a fad/not for them/fancy/etc. My statement started by saying be a good kid

>Proscan
>$200 4k TV
Lad status: wew

Yeah, well if they want it they'll buy it. They've got a hell of a lot more money than I do.

I fail to see the issue.

>new
Fuck you, beer

Audio and HD video aren't the same thing

>I fail to see the issue.

That's because you're underage and/or a tech illiterate

Nein, it will never die.

I see these people buy butter in a tub for cheap, and I don't understand. I jam this stick in a barrel for hours and get the same thing. If it ain't broke, don't fix it

I'm neither. It's either 4k or it's not, not like it's just an HD TV with a fake label on it. Yes it's not the best TV on the fucking market, but it was only $200.

No, a better analogy would be buying butter in plastic tubs vs waxed paper.

It would only be a better analogy if it was an analogy and not a versus statement

>was an analogy and not a versus statement
>was a rhetorical concept and not a grammatical structure

. . .

None of that made any sense.

>I told a short story
>You bitched
That easier for you?

I was just giving you some constructive criticism lad, no need to get angry.

It's cool, but I'm not that country. I didn't understand your analogy. I was asking you to extrapolate, junior

>I was asking you to extrapolate, junior
With a statement? That's not how you ask questions. It helps to ask questions with the mechanisms of language that are used to indicate a question is being asked.

Churning butter is not the same as buying butter. The comparison should be as like for like as possible, as the original discussion was.

>Bitching again
What was your point about the wax paper?

>What was your point about the wax paper?
. . .

>Churning butter is not the same as buying butter.
>The comparison should be as like for like as possible
>buying butter in plastic tubs vs waxed paper
>both are buying butter, the only difference is the container

I'm starting to suspect you're being intentionally ignorant.

The original point was to compare old ways of doing something versus new ways of doing something, the container is irrelevant.
Ended with the phrase, "if it ain't broke don't fix it"
(me)
Was a parody of this, also ending in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Your input was worthless
>Wax paper is more like plastic

Wax paper is the old way of buying butter, you idiot. Nobody has ever bought butter by churning it themselves.

They still sell butter in wax paper, it comes in rectangles. We get it, you're the guy who knows how butter is packaged.

Yes, and TVs are still sold with composite video.

die as in stop being commonly used, or stop being an option entirely?
i wouldn't say it's commonly used anymore, availability of component and hdmi has displaced it for home AV purposes
it'll probably remain in other places like cheap security cameras and the like, though, likely due to how cheap the cabling is (low conductor count, and doesn't have to be very high quality, as it's an analog signal that will simply degrade rather than fail entirely)

to clarify, it's probably cheaper to use a composite codec chip on both ends of a long cable run than it is to use a more expensive cable with more conductors to transfer rgbs/component/etc