Fanless/silent experience

I'm looking into fanless/passive cooling to maximize silence and reliability because fewer moving parts.
is this stupid or am i wrong?

have to manage 84W TDP

Other urls found in this thread:

technic3d.com/news/hardware/gehaeuse/11066-computex-2016-streacom-stellt-das-db4-vor-und-gibt-vorgeschmack-auf-weiteres-gehaeuse-der-db-serie.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You can maybe do 45W fanless.

this shit is really expensive to do
make sure you at least have case fans though so you have airflow. just get ultra silent fans and set them to a really low speed. passive cpu cooling is pretty easy to do but putting one on your gpu can be difficult if it is a large card.

Server cases pull off 125-150 TDP passive cooling, but only because the high powered case fans blow air through an air shroud directly through the passive heatsinks.

Basically, all heatsinks are passive, but you either have to attach a fan to them, or really close to them.

Or simply generate less heat, but you're at 84w TDP, gg.

i can purge my gpu because no gaymen
ssd only, passive cpu cooler then i remove the case fans -> power supply left
45W seems very low senpai

basically you want to get the smallest case possible, mini itx builds are nice for this stuff, since you want the air to come in and go out straight away. your cpu block needs to be massive as well, more surface area = more cooling

If you're gonna have case fans that what is the point? You might as well use a CPU fan, no?

less fans means less noise. if the case is good enough though you might not even need fans for airflow

Got one of those. They're kinda shit and don't work anywhere near as well in a passive case as they should.

Just stick your motherboard on the top shelf of your fridge

keeps your pepsi underneath it so it doesn't drop water onto the motherboard

best cooling solution for cheap (you do have to drill holes into your fridge tho)

Then drill holes in your wallet so you have enough coins on the floor to service your pump every month as it burns out.

fridges arent designed to sustain constant sources of heat

dosnt matter because it works

Then you and I have differing opinions of how 'it works' is.

>fanless
if you're doing as passive as possible, you should get away from the idea of having a case at all
you don't want anything blocking the air currents of your house from taking the heat away
ideally though, you'd have a nice large 200mm fan on a low, quiet setting, to pull that air out from the heatsink

>silent experience
just go to monoprice and get some 20ft cables then put the computer in a different room
then you can have proper, gimmickless cooling, and not have any chance of hearing your computer

>Air currents of your house
House has nothing to do with it, only the immediate effect of convection on the heatsink to ambient air.

ambient air inside of a box will not escape the box easily
even if you have proper ducting and fans, there is nothing better than fully open air

ask the miners

Yeah if your room is a heatsink.

There's no point because you still need airflow, just go for a tower heatsink and use 2 800rpm fans (push/pull)

>Fully open air
>Ask the miners
Convection is powered primarily from the delta between the two temperatures of inside the mineshaft and outside, the latter being cooler.
I know what you're saying, I'm just saying, that their cooling is both forced and supplemented by the fact they are in shafts, not open air.

Not going to happen with modern hardware to do zero fans. You can get away with expensive near silent fans in a liquid cooler like pic related to minimize noise for cooling the CPU but like others have said "silent" cooling is a niche market and you are going to pay a lot to reduce ambient noise of your PC. CPU cooler is one of the two that would need liquid cooling to minimize noise with the GPU being the other (use something like the Fury X that is liquid cooled to do that if you ever wanted to use a GPU).
>you probably are noticing how expensive this build will be now...

92mm's (or 80 can't remember) doing 400rpm, just a smidge over guaranteed tickover in case of unexpected shutdown/restart with 6 HDDs.

Can't tell it's running unless I put my hand behind the vent or my bones against the chassis.

You'd be surprised at what you can manage, just avoid high fin density coolers.

>I know what you're saying
okay

I hate to reference linus shill tips but like the poster above you said a refrigerator is only meant for a certain thermal dissipation. A typical overclocked gamer system will easily exceed these thermal requirements. You want meme appliance cooling? Hook up your liquid cooler to an AC system that is outside. Defeats the purpose but so does sticking a computer inside a fridge trying to be smart.

>silent
>AIO watercooling
no. the pumps on those things are loud.

my one is really quiet. the only thing that was loud was the shitty fans that come with it

>CLC
>High FPI rads
>Blah blah money

Unless you're setting to do 24/7 encoding, you guys really are overworking the idea of passive cooling. You should be aiming for a competent cooler _supplemented_ by inaudible fans, so in the event of complete fan failure, it will still run safely.

I would trust a stock cooler over CLC any day for reliability, for what it's worth.

>Not sure if 'okay' as in okay gramps, or okay as in I getchu senpai

By design, AIO coolers need higher pressure/higher CFM fans to get air through the fins, which is not a quiet ordeal. There are fans better suited to the task than others for sure, but restrictions are what you want to avoid when it comes to lowering perceptible ambient noises.

Nigga you don't need fanless.

1) There are VERY, VERY silent fans.
2) You could just watch the heat, and if the heat goes up, you start the fan on lowest RPM. Paired with a big premium (e.g. Noctua) fan, that's like 20db at load.
3) Passive cooling is fucked. Every passive cooled GPU just burns down after a while, and every CPU will just throttle - if they have any real performance.
4) Ambient temps are a bitch. If you live in Norway and you use your PC in the garage outside and the temps are like -10C, then it's going to work. Otherwise, nope.

Make your case the heatsink fampai.

technic3d.com/news/hardware/gehaeuse/11066-computex-2016-streacom-stellt-das-db4-vor-und-gibt-vorgeschmack-auf-weiteres-gehaeuse-der-db-serie.htm

I know. He is going to need a noise isolating case too.

Cooling 100 watts passively is extremely uneconomical. Even a single 120 fan, almost inaudible at 800 rpm, improves the efficiency tenfold.

Just get some silent fans. Look at it this way: even laptops need fans. My i5-4690S only has a 65W TDP and I would never do passive cooling. 84W just seems impossible.

I'm very picky about noise and I just have two Noctua case fans and a 212 Evo with a Noctua PWM fan replacing the original fan. The Noctua PWM has lower airflow than the original, but my CPU's low TDP makes up for it.

65w passive out of the box, 120w passive if you buy additional heatpipes.

Get a Asus GTX 750 Ti Strix. 7W idle, 60W under maximum load. Fans remain off until high performance gaming.