How do i learn game development? What games should i start creating?

How do i learn game development? What games should i start creating?

I already have a pretty good understanding of Java

Step 1. Hand made hero. From the first episode.
Step 390. Make game you've had the idea for since step 2

>Java
>game development
haha, no
the literally only 2 successful Java games are Runescape and Minecraft

pick something else

Write your game in Haskell

Install gentoo

Five Nights At Freddy's,
flappy bird,
fruit ninja,
endless runner

Yes Java isn't good when performance isn't a priority. But not all games are AAA shooters.

this.

Honestly senpai, make a roguelike

You'll have to program a variety of different complex systems without having to deal with much graphical/front-end bullshit, save for creating a simple tileset system.
The more depth the roguelike has, the better

Just like make game

It doesn't matter what language you use as long as you don't try to build everything from scratch. Look for good Library's and/or engine's even if it means learning a new coding language.
You should already have the raw programming skill.
Most games these days are made with Unity3d it used to be kind of bulky compared to OOP but nowadays great games are made with it.
If you want easier access to Triple A quality try the unreal engine.

Download the Google VR SDK and start developing phone VR app because a lot of companies are interested in those these days (And daydream VR will release at the end of this year with Android N)

If you want to work OOP use Monogame or XNA.
Actionscript with Flixel or Flashpunk
You can even use game maker.

The most important thing is to set small goals and finish stuff. Don't try to make an MMO and don't write your own engine because you will most likely never finish

>You can even use game maker.
don't do this

First game i made, was in löve2D (Lua)
and it was suprisingly easy and super well documented.

i recommend anybody who wants to make a game to give löve2d a shot.

Absolutely disgusting.

That code he writes is abysmal and is useless for a long time.

If it were me starting out I would learn Unity or Unreal after learning C++ or C# respectively.

Don't forget however that Unreal usage with C++ ends up being shitty with all the bad macros to do reflection if you want closer to normal usage of the target language use Unity.

Remember: Unity is more generic in it's use case and leaves a lot of things for you to do BUT it's also easier to extend in nice ways to create very specific editors for your game.

From there pick a few tutorials for your choice to make a complete simple game and move from there.

Game maker is fucking good for learning the basics of game dev.

OP here:

fuck Unity, it's a bloated piece of shit that draws too much attention from actually writing code

>it's a bloated piece of shit that draws too much attention from actually writing code
>i'm a dickhead who doesn't know shit

Unity is the one where you have to write code to do things user, moreso than Unreal.

Not only that but it uses a language that is more in demand and more used in other industries so you can keep the experience and do something else when it turns out you are shit.

>Unity bloated
unity has modular installer so you only install the builds you need with a max of 14 gb when Unreal is just 14 gb right out of the gate.

This whole thread
>Using proprietary software
Why are you lowlifes even on Sup Forums?

OP:
Get your hands on the following:
The C++ Programming Language (4th Edition)
OpenGL User Manual
OpenAL User Manual

Get comfortable with said material

Start small and set achievable goals. Don't think you can make World Of Warcraft on your first try, or first 100 for that matter.

Clone some old arcade stuff: Pong, Arkanoid, Packman, Super Mario, Goblet.

Clone some early PC stuff: Prince of Persia, Racing anything, Starcraft or early C&C.

Clone some big boy 3D: Doom, Quake, Half-life.

At this point you might want to get in to networking of you want to consider multilayer. Beej's guide to network programing fill get you started on the rails but for the game part you are on your own on how you want to handle it.

Try and get two computers to talk to each-other and lets say move two dots around a screen. One you can do this you can expand.

When cloning you don't need to get it to be 100% spot but you have to make the game at least playable. Get some experience and hone in your skills.

Start coding your idea.

write a 2D engine followed by a 3D engine in C or C++ using SDL.

Pleb here,
Why isn't java used for more games? Before uni I used to write shitty games with C++/SDL. At uni they taught us Java and it seemed like it would be perfect for writing smaller games. Even the build in graphics library isn't terrible

Because Java is bloated

Compared to C++ sure, but the end user won't notice a difference in a small game that runs much faster than a 60Hz cap even if you used Python. We're close to 2017 now

So, only use java if you want to make shit games, got it.

learn C# and use a good game engine that uses C#,you already know java but java sucks for games.

Not OP, but I just installed Monogame.
Developing on Windows is such a pain in the fucking dick, dear lord. WHy must *everything* Windows-related happen in the atrocity that is Visual Studio?

Fucktard, you need to write C# in Unity

Seriously though, if you're using anything except Unreal or Unity you're doing it wrong

/thread

This OP.
Plus, roguelikes are FUN to make!