Has anyone ever met a software engineer with a few years under their belt who wasn't a bitter asshole...

Has anyone ever met a software engineer with a few years under their belt who wasn't a bitter asshole? It seems to be almost a requirement at this point.

Depends on the person. You're just meeting shit people.

STEM majors are losers with no social skills, so it's inevitable that they turn out like that.

Finances majors aren't like that. They're mostly sociopaths who would sell their mother for a dollar.

You haven't experienced what it's like to work for clients with conflicting requirements who chew you out for failing to deliver utterly nonsense work.

>software engineer
programmer

Yes I have.

What's the difference?

there's none. People that call themselves software engineers think that they're the only ones designing systems and creating new stuff, while programmers and other code monkeys just hack up libraries together to make a product. In reality everyone is doing the same shit at the job.

You do know the top row are STEM too
Yes, even the finance if he wants to work on Wallstreet
Financial engineering and risk management is p cool and requires some interesting maths

OP, I'm going to assume that you don't interact with many programmers outside of Sup Forums.

The programmers we have around my company are huge nerds for sure, but they're not bitter assholes. In fact, I'd go as far as to say they (mostly) enjoy their job and aren't jealous of other career fields.

The population that posts here isn't really representative of the whole.

If you have an engineering degree, then you can call yourself an engineer. Someone with a CS degree and/or a bunch of certs is not an engineer.

Also, to be able to call yourself an "Engineer", most places have regulatory bodies which control the use as a professional title, e.g. you have to apply for a license to call yourself an engineer, and pass tests to prove competency, understanding of ethics, etc. So if you aren't a licensed engineer, you can't sign off on projects for completion, safety, etc.

More importantly, these bodies are often able to sue people who illicitly use these titles e.g. calling yourself a civil engineer when not licensed to can bring a lawsuit down on your head.

/thread

U mad bro

Depends on the country. I'm doing a software engineering degree and I'll get a master of engineering title.
We spend half our time finding, documenting, investigate them and solving them while proving we have solved it.

This one programmer at work is like this, you're not allowed to talk directly with him, only on slack and so on. I write it off as severe autism, most of them are a bit like that.

I'm an engineer, as told by my CS degree

>no social skills
>social
>human interaction

What are you?

Getting a P.E. isn't necessary for all engineering fields. It's only really relevant for jobs where safety is critical (ie buildings and bridges).

U jelly

software engineer*

>them
>it
What do you mean?

That's what he said, engineer

No? I'm working as a software dev there too and it's just fucking annoying when I have to interact with someone like this.

Sorry, I meant that we find, document, investigate, solve and prove we have solved a problem.
We just have a few requirements but we decide the rest.

Yep, engineer.

Software engineers also work on other parts of the SDLC and should be trained in modeling, requirements specification etc.

If he still has to be in the office, then yea its retarded. Otherwise hes workin' from home and livin' the life