Is it possible for someone who only has extremely basic knowledge of coding to be able to optimize Gentoo for whatever...

Is it possible for someone who only has extremely basic knowledge of coding to be able to optimize Gentoo for whatever they want to use it for?

Other urls found in this thread:

gentoo.org/support/news-items/2015-01-28-cpu_flags_x86-introduction.html
linux-mag.com/id/7574/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Bump

What does this even mean?

>how much autistic i should be for using gentoo?
something like that

Yes, this is the one case in which a meme was true. Gentoo can do litterally anything. Just ask me and I'll list all of it's virtues.

You don't need to be very smart to use Gentoo; you need to be very patient and somewhat autistic if you configure your kernel and know most of the kernel features.

Gentoo isn't a distribution, it is a meta distribution. You can use it as a starting point to make any sort of specialized distro you want. For example, Chrome OS is gentoo

>CODING
coding has nothing to do with installing an operating system as "advanced" as gentoo. (I use advanced light)

The reason that I don't use it is that I'm not really sure how to figure out the optimal cflags and unless I do the marginal speed gains would be even smaller. So as someone who extremely basic knowledge of computer science concepts, no I'm not able to optimize it.

This.

>i don't know how to figure the optimal cflags

-march=native -O2 -pipe

Pretty much anything else will break with a lot of packages, or will give minor gains, or will require 3-4 system recompiles.

This and read the news

gentoo.org/support/news-items/2015-01-28-cpu_flags_x86-introduction.html

You don't need coding experience at all
but be prepared to see a deal of frustration before you get what you want
Anyway, why do you want to optimize so much? seems to me you're nothing but a ricer shit.
Anyway if you want to try
USE="-*"

and then just change the application-specific use flags for the programs you download.
protip: if you're using a DE, your optimization dreams are likely to mean shit

>Just ask me and I'll list all of it's virtues.
Can I be a Gentoo user and not be a condescending piece of shit?

I wish Chrome OS allowed people to install Gentoo packages from Gentoo software repositories. It would be the perfect linux distro for me then.

I believe -O3 is safe now (>=4.8.3); no longer uses -ffast-math and unsafe loop unrolls, but now includes vectorization, predictive commoning, and aggressive inlining. Both O2 and O3 are already fairly expensive optimizations anyway, so there's not too many losses in compiling with -O3. The polyhedral loop opts in GCC are really expensive and break a lot of programs; there are gains in some loop intensive programs (OpenCSG linked programs). LTO is pretty good now though and it's a big part of GCC/LLVM development right now, most packages on the newer ABI and actively developed compile out of the box.

-O3 breaks some Qt packages, but is safe otherwise

>condescending piece of shit

That's arch users

Ha! You got me, I am an Arch user and I was sarcasticly pointing out what said. Gentoo fags are honestly the most pompous cunts around. They just hide behind the "superior distro" meme.

You gave me this advice knowing nothing about my machine. You probably assumed it's am x86_64 chip, right? So why aren't the normally distributed binaries just compiled with these settings?
I'm willing to switch from my debian net install to gentoo but in addition to that concern I haven't seen any concrete benchmarks/tests showing the benefit. I do place a fair bit of value on the enjoyment of having this level of control, it's "fun" for me.

I guess I never actually looked for those benchmarks though. Almost all of my opinions are formed by what I come across here over time. I just found this
linux-mag.com/id/7574/
Some of the results are extremely impressive.

W7 is my favorite open source distro

so what if encryption has an NSA key? its for my safety or something

speak english pajeet