What is so inherently great about Linux that makes it better than Windows?

What is so inherently great about Linux that makes it better than Windows?

It respects your freedoms 50% of the times and doesn't spy on you.

p-p-pajeet d-didn't m-m-m-m-make i-i-it

Gentoo

>he has to ask on a mongolian cartoon boards instead of making his own opinion.
Ultimate cuck.

actually, it's windows which is superior.

>search software for accomplishing [task]
>first result has a package name
>apt-get install [package]

vs

>search software for accomplishing [task]
>sift throught 10 pages of links to malware-bundled installers
>end up installing godKnowsWhat because [software] is proprietary bullshit anyway

1. Modularity. In windows when something breaks that's not in userspace, you're fucked, especially when the error is not widespread. On linux you just replace faulty part of your system temporally.
2. Windows's log is dogshit. Really, pc encountered error and bsod'd? I never noticed! Want more info? Just go 1000 loops to download this minidump checking software that doesn't even work. You are seriously better off just posting it on support forum.
3. Customisability. I once had an icon pack on windows literally crash the whole pc because of the fact that it modified system icons which were embeded in .dll files or some shit.
4 . Fixability
5. Respects your freedums
6. Superior programming environment unless you're using C#

Here, original OC inspired by this kind of post.

How can you sift through 10 pages of malware bundled installers? All the softrware I have is either not bundled with anything or the adware is optional if you don't just click through the installer blindly.

>no I NEED those installers that require attention
>if they dont then I might remember how pathetic my life is

If you were using gentoo you would have got quads.

Chinese cartoons

GNU respects your freedom
doesn't spy on you and provides encryption
customization is nuts
fast as hell and brings life into old computers
incredibly easy to use, parents and grandparents use it and have not had any problems and no you don't need to learn how to use the terminal

i bet m$ paid them.

kys
Linux is fully accessible aswhere parts of windows cant be accessed. ill keep my linux over windows 10, I had tried to end cortana's proccess and it made me reboot my pc... wtf windows.

grep
compiler support

>kys
linux doesn't even have a syscall to pause or resume a thread.

It's just how it works.

Package management.

On Windows, every program nags independently about updates. Some have their own shitty update tool, some update automatically at inconvenient times, some send you to their website, via Internet Explorer to download the latest version, often with an installer which bundles in crapware unless you're careful.

Windows system updates are even worse, restarting your pc, only giving you options to delay, not stop them. And when you do restart, you spend half an hour waiting for it through 'don't turn off your computer, applying updates 0%'

Linux:
You notice that the icon on your toolbar is lit up.
At a time of your choosing, tell the system to update.

Everything updates: system, software, browsers, programs, games, etc, etc

No need to restart, unless the kernel was updated. Even then, you don't have to, just you won't be using the new kernel until you do.

>anime_question_girl.jpg

package manager, it's free, total control of your system etc

The fact that we don't have people shilling for it on Sup Forums every 5 goddamn seconds like Microsoft does for Winshit because they're so desperate to keep their shitty OS relevant that they will lie and FUD until they sink into poverty and obscurity. Just leave on top, Microsoft, no one will think bad of you. Take your money and run before it all goes to hell, which it is about to for you.

There is no reason for the kernel to implement this when it can be done trivially in user space.

Is there a place where I can upload meme templates by the way? What I did in GIMP to make this can be reused pretty easily.

>trivially
the current solution using signals is very hackery and error prone, it\s considered as a huge issue by most. The truth is that dave cutler > linus.

The package manager

Downloading and updating individual programs is frankly retarded.

Linux isn't free. GNU is free, Linux is just open source,

You can make the argument that it should be implemented as part of pthreads so that people don't fuck it up, but what is the justification for doing it in the kernel? What do you gain vs a user space implementation?

>You don't have to pay for it.
>It's open source.

What else do you want?

full customization
transparent, no '8x00000 generic error'
readily available source should you be paranoid or question the capabilities of the software
package management
inherent antivirus and permissions
forefront of technology, companies like IBM Samsung and even Microsoft building code for Linux
No barrier to starting, you want a system that just werks? Download and go, no need to install.

because the scheduler is implemented in the kernel, for security reasons, for performance reasons.

I think he wants to make changes in the Linux kernel and make others use his retarded version.

/thread

You can't do that? Even if you distribute it for free?

Right, and the way you talk to the scheduler on posix systems is by sending signals.