Friendly reminder that writing C in 2016 is the modern equivalent of writing assembler from scratch

Friendly reminder that writing C in 2016 is the modern equivalent of writing assembler from scratch.

Nobody who values their time writes anything of value in C anymore unless it's to streamline a bottleneck in their scripting languages.
Even if you intend to write your entire project in C, you won't start with C, you'll develop your proof of concept in a rapid prototyping language and then convert your codebase to C.

Only hobbyists and autists care about the implementation details of their algorithms.
Developer time is more valuable than processor time, and you can always throw more cores at a problem until it goes away because cloud computing is stupid cheap now.

sure, not like there are still kernel hackers out there.
Protip: if you're using anything unix, stop. Go get House or Mezzano, or Redox.
Then you can come in and say C is useless.

>Developer time is more valuable than processor time
ya nice b8 m8

but my advanced fizzbuzz implementation requires top notch performance. smart programmers dont need bloat in the form of garbage collection or array bounds checking.

>what are microprosessors
>what are embedded systems

>tfw everyone on Sup Forums claims to be a kernel hacker

Nice try pajeet

>nobody writes anything of value in C, except when they do

this is the dumbest thing ive read all day. Stop wasting your time troll.

You stupid, C and ASM is important today too. I programming in C and ASM in my work too

>Friendly reminder that writing C in 2016 is the modern equivalent of writing assembler from scratch.
Writing assembler from scratch is the modern equivalent of writing assembler from scratch.

C has bad abstractions. Assembly lets you easily create coroutines or tail call optimization. C doesn't.

I tip my fedora to you, sir

just enable the optimization flag

What would you write a complex software with? Like something that makes very intense use of the CPU? Java? Python? Visual Basic?

I mean sure for the average business software I prefer to use something else, for web development I use PHP with frameworks because its appropiate, but to say C is useless because you in particular don't need it is fucking pretentious and you need to fuck off, go read a fucking book.

I write in C and assembly every (work) day. Why? Because embedded systems exist. Grow up and ditch you gaymen PC faggit.

C has no place in 90% of application development anymore, but it is still essential in sysdev and embedded systems. After working at a company that wrote programs in mainframe assembly, I've seen firsthand how 16 man-hours get wasted looking for a little bug that would be either non-existent or easy to find in OO. True, hobbyists have no concept of how time is money. But in time-critical, process-consuming applications, process time still outweighs the time of the developer, and how maintainable the code is.

Not to mention that rust and Go exists because of faggots that think developer time is more valuable.

No shit? don't learn what has no purpose for your intended use

/thread

>Developer time is more valuable than processor time, and you can always throw more cores at a problem until it goes away because cloud computing is stupid cheap now.

Might change in about 15 years, once energy becomes more expensive and "everyone learns programming" campaigns bear fruits.

Just admit it: you're too stupid to learn proper C, are jealous and are just venting your rage out in this supposedly constructive post.

>Like something that makes very intense use of the CPU? Java? Python? Visual Basic?
Java runtime is not CPU intensive at all. The part that takes the longest is the JVM startup, but after that there are a number of situations where java bytecode is faster than the C equivalent.

Besides the fact that computers are so goddamn fast, that the only time you'll actually care about a particular languages speed is if you're doing some crazy NP hard problem on a huge dataset. 99% of everything else doesn't need to be optimized to such a degree that you'd actually care about the language

>Developer time is more valuable than processor time

This is 100% true. There is the saying that you can realistically get "10 lines per developer per day" (10 lines being 10 lines of quality code). Sitting around writing shit that other languages have natively doesn't make you a good developer. It makes you stubborn and inefficient

>java bytecode is faster than the C equivalent
How would or could that be true?

It is possible when the jit compiler can make optimisations based on how the program is running. Doesn't usually overwrite the cost of a garbage collected language though, unless you are very careful with when allocations occur.

>- Signed, Someone who does not work in embnedded.

It's shit like this that leads to 150MB text editors that include a full web stack as their widget toolkit.

Someone want to give me a quick run down of Kernel development and Embedded development in the modern world? Languages, frameworks, concepts, etc

I'm a pajeet tier web developer wanting to move on to bigger and better things

bump

>writing C in 2016 is the modern equivalent of writing assembler from scratch
>writing C in 2016 is the 2016 equivalent of writing assembler from scratch
Actually, writing C is the modern equivalent of writing C in 2016

Friendly reminder that if you're not telling the computer exactly what to do in the lowest level possible, you're not a programmer, you're a user.

C programmers (and anything else equivalently to the metal) are programmers. Everyone else is a fucking user of a dumbed down pseudo-programming language that is there to catch your mistakes and pick you up when you fall. They're there to coddle you and tell you everything's going to be okay, poor user, we will take care of the memory for you, your careless use of it won't matter.

Dumbfuck modern computer lusers. You would have all been eaten alive even two decades ago.