What does Sup Forums think of Chromium browser?

Wha's Sup Forums's opinion on this browser? Do you use it? Why?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/5digits/dactyl/issues/99
bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=786909
news.ycombinator.com/item?id=9724409
pcworld.com/article/2940499/ok-google-hotword-detection-yanked-from-chromium-after-user-revolt.html
arstechnica.com/security/2015/06/not-ok-google-chromium-voice-extension-pulled-after-spying-concerns/
trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/1793
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I like it, but it's apparently not much better than Chrome in terms of datamining...

Great security
Still no privacy frim google

dumb browser

pokeball rip off

Waterfox is better.

I'm thinking about making a permanent move from Chrome, which would you recommend I use?

waterfox is placebo shit

Whats with Chrome Apps? Sounds Like a cool thing, but what about muh privacy?

>Lookup chrome version variations
>Realise youre a blip on some google profit diagrams

I thought the Sup Forums botnet meme was a meme. I'm ok with getting my data mined to some extent, it's just going to happen in the real world but when the software you install automatically uses you as part of field test studies without a word of warning it gets into dystopia land.

There's pretty much no difference between it and Chrome on GNU+Linux, it even comes with the pdf reader now.

I use chrome, because I prefer it's icon.

>has never seen a pokeball

>has never seen a rip off

Use it on my phone as it came with the ROM.

de-botneted (A LIE)

The only decent browser left.

>not full of botnets like chrome
>not a bloated sack of shit that feels like you're running on a P2 with 128MB of RAM like Firefox and its derivatives
>not some "other" browser that either doesn't work reliably, is buggy as shit, or both

Saying this as someone that used Firefox since 0.1 (Phoenix). Firefox is garbage now. It's sad and I wish they'd fix their shit, but it's true, and it's even propagated to its derivatives.

I just installed waterfox on a friend's i3 laptop, did I do right or is there any other browser that uses less recourses and would fit better there? I thought Chromium uses as much as Chrome.

>not full of botnets

It's shit. Use Iridium if you want to use Chromium based browser.

I use Chromium Portable sometimes when Firefox is being silly

Okay, I'll bite.

>using palemoon
>300 tabs open
>10 youtube videos on pause
>System only has 4 gigs of ram

Has not crashed and my pc has been on for days

only time it's slow is when it's using the pagefile
Which is easily fixed by getting more ram

I like it a lot and I like some of the browsers built with it, like Vivaldi. That one is surprisingly good

>300 tabs open

why

autism

he's just havin' a giggle m8

What went wrong?

I thought Chromium was Chrome without datamining. Did newer builds start adding that junk in or was it always that way?

>He fell for the Iridium meme
Good job faggot, you only traded one botnet for another.

Google's had their hands in it since the beginning. What did you really expect?

My opinion is that it's a dumbed-down, feature-less botnet browser that sacrifices functionality like color-correct rendering for the sake of “speed”.

While it contains no more or less “botnet” than other comparable browser like firefox ship with, the matter of fact is that firefox is simply more configurable, customizable and extensible than chromium will ever be.

For example, there's no clone of pentadactyl for chromium and there never will be - the next best thing (vimium) has severe restrictions and uses work-arounds and hacks to simulate as much of the missing functionality as it can, simply because the underlying addon APIs are not flexible or powerful enough to support it.

For the longest time ever, chromium addons couldn't even properly block ads - just hide them after they were loaded. While that shit finally got resolved after enough people complained, it's still obnoxiously difficult to make complex addons that will run off chromium's addon API.

The worst part about all this is that SJWzilla, in its desperate attempts to continue failing to mimic chrome, is trying to deprecate their addon API and switch to firefox's instead. The day that happens is the day mozilla will have placed the last straw on the camel's back...

tl;dr fuck chromium, fuck firefox, and fuck every other browser. There's simply nothing good anymore, and unless we do something about it the future of the free and open web is doomed.

>is trying to deprecate their addon API and switch to firefox's instead
chromium's*

Considering that the democrats just that they support the TPP, I'd say it's already over

I haven't seen a shred of evidence for chromium botnet. Go ahead, try and prove it, using up to do sources. Protip: (You) can't.

>(vimium) has severe restrictions and uses work-arounds and hacks

Ok bud.. I've been using it to for a few months now, and I'm yet to encounter any "severe" restrictions lol. Your autism may vary.

>and I'm yet to encounter any "severe" restrictions lol.
Have you ever used pentadactyl? Vimium pretty much just adds some keybindings. Pentadactyl is basically an entire browser for itself. It overhauls absolutely everything, from history to downloads to tabs to navigation to configuring addons. It's a total conversion.

Also, my claims about vimium being restricted due to the API are citable: github.com/5digits/dactyl/issues/99

>The WebExtensions API does not allow for all of the functionality of Pentadactyl (this is why there is full-featured equivalent of Pentadactyl for Google Chrome and why the closest thing, Vimium, has to use some convoluted code to get as much functionality as it can).

>To add features, it will probably necessary to use native.js once it is available to implement extensions to the WebExtension API and advocate for their inclusion in WebExtensions, as much of Pentadactyl's functionality (stuff other than what Vimium does) can't be done with the current WebExtensions API.

From another thread:
bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=786909
news.ycombinator.com/item?id=9724409

>firefox is simply more configurable
>cant even play netflix on linux

lmao sure thing pham

>cant even play netflix on linux
1. That's Netflix's decision, not Mozilla's. They specifically ban you from watching it in Firefox on Linux.

2. The media players in browsers are a pile of horse-shit in general. Both Firefox and Chrome. (They're about equally bad). I recommend you use an actual video player, like MPC-HC or mpv, to watch movies.

3. Netflix serves low-quality garbage. I would recommend staying away from them in general unless you want to develop eye cancer.

4. I'm responding to a troll, which makes me the fool - but for the sake of innocent third parties I might as well get the facts straight for the record.

Oh, and to add injury to insult:

5. Due to Firefox's extensibility, you *can* actually watch netflix in firefox on linux, despite the DRM. For example, you could use mozplugger to embed a libmpv instance and add a lua script to crack the encryption.

(Note that this is illegal, since Netflix doesn't allow you to use a free browser to watch their content)

Way to ignore

lmao indeed it works fine, chromium on not even kde is everyone on gentoo?

why don't you block ads at the entryway

privacy is berked at the hardware level

What the fuck do you want me to reply to your post?

Are you not ?

No? I'm pro-firefox, anti-chrome whereas it seems that is the opposite. Not sure how you'd confuse that, but oh well.

I was stupid, apologies...

Steam use that browser.

what about iridium

Didn't they remove that because everyone was pissed that it was forced on them?

[citation needed]

pcworld.com/article/2940499/ok-google-hotword-detection-yanked-from-chromium-after-user-revolt.html

arstechnica.com/security/2015/06/not-ok-google-chromium-voice-extension-pulled-after-spying-concerns/

Morph ball ripoff

google hides botnet shit in it all the time, it's fucking garbage like all browsers

seriously how hard is it to get a team together to debloat firefox and make a good fork of it?

>For example, you could use mozplugger to embed a libmpv instance and add a lua script to crack the encryption.

Care to elaborate on the process? Are you able to get 720p videos?

>Chromagnon

>want to stop using firefox
>Chrome is Chrome
>Pale Moon is just Firefox
>Vivaldi is bloated shit
>luakit, jumanji et al are comfy, but either outdated or don't support userscripts
>not autistic enough to use w3m or elinks

Does anyone know of a Dark Reader equivalent for Firefox? It's literally the only reason I still use Chromium.

I'm not sure. I don't know much about Netflix's encryption, and I assume the interest is low since there are much easier and much better ways of gaining access to TV shows than trying to break Netflix DRM. (Like just torrenting it, for example)

Seems like there's an open ticket for this issue here: trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/1793

How much ram do you have?
Chrome is pretty comfy on GNU/Linux with a lightweight DE, and even 3 GiBs of RAM are enough. I just have to watch YouTube in vlc, because Chrome doesn't support hardware video decoding on GNU/Linux, and anything higher than 480p is way too much for my core 2 duo.

>Wha's Sup Forums's opinion on this browser?
Botnet

>Do you use it?
No

>Why?
Botnet

Have you actually used Firefox lately? Shit is so ancient and slow it's not even funny. Also something in it leaks memory, I have to reboot it every couple of days, while Chromium keeps on ticking.

Really wish Mozilla would realise that they are currently worst browser in the market and would rewrite Firefox from scratch

Test

>Chrome doesn't support hardware video decoding on GNU/Linux
But it does user

I'm using it right now and it works just fine. Aren't they basically rewriting it from scratch by creating Servo as a replacement for Gecko?

POS imo, will have to continue using Firefox. WebM related.

What gpu do you have?

Try exporting your 4chanX settings and importing them into Chrome

Integrated Intel. The secret is to have functioning OpenGL in your system and enable "
Override software rendering list" in chrome://flags/

Thay say it's experimental but it works perfectly fine for me

I'll see if it works for me.
>tfw I HAVE to use nouveau, because my gpu is so old

Test

Thanks a lot. Now I can watch 720p60 in chrome, and I drop something like one frame per 3 seconds, which is acceptable.

WFL.