PCI Slots

What PCI /PCI-e / extension cards have you used or are you currently using?

Most people only have GPU, so wondering whats the situation here.

I can only think of RAID cards, PCI SSDs, basic more sata ports cards...maybe professional soundcards for music creators?

anything else legit? All those wasted slots...

inb4 soundcards

You could get a type c card, it's starting to get more popular.

I had a PCI washing machine in my old tower

Not PCI, but years ago I owned an ISA-powered hairdryer which you could control from DOS, pretty cool actually

I'm thinking about getting a 10Gbps card for my home server. But 10Gbps switches are still ridiculously expensive.

on my main rig I have a pci sound card left over from my old pc (fried the onboard audio).

on my lan rig i also have a sound card but it was included with the motherboard (asus p5e , a clone of the maximus formula).

sound card and scsi card

What the fuck.

Do they make this for pci? I want one

Not necessarily in the same machine, but I've used PCI/PCIe x1 slots for:
Wireless
Video cards (cut a notch to make a $20 x16 cards x1)
RAID card
SCSI Adapter
FireWire Adapter
eSATA connection
56k Modem
Replacement Ethernet
Sound Card
Crazy outdated printer card
IDE adapter

Mostly just adapters.

HD6670.
Sound card.
Wi-Fi card for pfSense.

Yes, I occasionally play gaymes on my server.

Network cards, usb cards.

Got two of these and they're cheap.

PCI USB expansion card.

PCI-e x1 Asus Xonar DGX

enterprise-tier NICs.
And even with some 4+ physical interfaces per machine, I still seem to need more all the time.

SATA port card to add more media storage HDDs. Once a couple of these die I'll up the size of the drives I'm using and may not need it again for a while.

>SCSI card
Tape backup?

An AVerMedia HDMI capture card.

Because why not?

On my current PC I have a PCI x1 wifi card.

On my old PC I had a PCI wireless card and a TV tuner card for when I was living at college so I could have a DVR.

Are these worth it?

Maximum pci bandwidth is 133 MB/s over the entire bus

What about PCIe?

Depends on your use case.
I connect backup drives to them, not drives with games. Even if a drive hits the 133MB/s limit I don't care, but I know they don't.

soundcard
gpu1
sata card
gpu2

gpu2 is dedicated for a windows VM

can be but a lot are pci-e 2.0 x1 is roughly 250-500MBps depending on chipset and chips used
which is perfectly fine for 1 or 2 HDDs. More than 3 HDDs or even an SSD and you're hitting a bottleneck

Depends on if your use case involves all connected hard disks being accessed at full speed.

>What PCI /PCI-e / extension cards have you used
USB card
TV tuner card
Firewire card
LAN card

>are you currently using
Graphics card
Sound card

>All those wasted slots...
For you

ye

A gigabit NIC because the onboard is only fast, and an eSATA card for an external HDD.

Depend on the gen. 1 is 250, 2 500 and 3 1000 MB/s. Per lane that is.

M-audio Delta 44

My GPU is blocking my last SATA port. How would a SSD perform with one of these? I have an Optiplex 7010.

I have a USB 3.0 card
10GbE SFP+ card
GPU

Internal dvb-t/c/s tuner with CI port

Aside from my video card, I've got a Sound Blaster Z.

Got buyer's remorse on that one too. Not that it's a bad card. Sounds fantastic. But it doesn't support Linux, so it's somewhat useless to me these days.

It should work in ubuntu 16.04 now

Yeah, I saw something about basic support recently. Pretty sure even with that patch it only supports stereo out and line in. Much less any of the neat features it comes with on Windows (I pretty much just want the surround sound thing).

Also, I'm stuck on 14.04 because AMD decided to deprecate fglrx and it's the only way my video card works sorta properly.

You should have bought nvidia and an older sound blaster

>What PCI /PCI-e / extension cards have you used or are you currently using?
Absolutely fucking nothing on my current/modern system.

My old system however, lacks a bunch of standard shit, so it's using a USB 2.0, Wireless NIC, and GPU cards all on PCI (couldn't find an AGP GPU).

A few problems with that

1. Because of their anti-consumer practices I wont give money to Intel or Nvidia even if I have a slightly worse experience because of it. I wont sell my principles for a slightly higher framerate.
2. As far as I'm aware, older Sound Blasters don't have a surround sound HRTF for Linux either. Also, I wasn't aware that they had stopped supporting Linux when I bought the Z and didn't find out until later because I didn't have Linux on this PC at the time.

network card

shoulda got an asus
my xonar dgx works great, support is built into the kernel and everything
also
>ubuntu

I appreciate that some support the red team on principle even though I'll always buy the best value.

I hope Polaris will produce some good value cards since I've been looking to buy good value Radeon because of restrictive virtualisation license terms on GeForce drivers.

After living a few years with Linux you learn to really check hardware compatibility before buying and won't end up with unsupported hardware. Hardest part is the transition when your old stuff may end up unsupported.