(Home server Thread)

Beginner looking into making a starter home server, mainly for file storage and streaming. What components would be recommended to just start? Motherboard? Processor?

Other urls found in this thread:

supermicro.com/products/nfo/Xeon-D.cfm
theregister.co.uk/2015/08/11/memory_hole_roots_intel_processors/
h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c02551631-13
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

If you don't know, get a mac.

>file storage
anything that can hook up the drives you want to use.
>streaming
if you want to do real-time transcoding then you need CPU grunt, and how much of it you need depends on how many simultaneous users you want to support. If you just want to set up a network share then see the previous item.

Literally any pc with gigabit ethernet. It can even be a laptop or a raspberry pi.

The biggest question is power cost for running it 24/7 and also reliability of the server.

For file storage?
Any cheap motherboard with lots of harddrive ports and 1Gbps network adapter. RAID support is nice too but not necessary unless you plan on installing Windows on it.

I'm reasonably certain raspberry pi only has 100Mbps ethernet.

Current setup
>24 gb ram
>xeon e5630
>adaptec 6805
>6x 6tb hgst nas in raid 6
>crucial b100 120gb for os
>server 2012 r2
>lian li case

planned setup
>supermicro 2 core pentium d soc/mainboard with 2x sfp+ for 10gb networking
>adaptec 81605ZQ (16port) with support for ssds as cache
>12x 6tb hgst nas in raid 6
>4x 480 or 240 gb intel 730 ssd (cheapest ssds with capacitors)
>supermicro 836b case with 16 hot swappable trays

Look for the xeon/pentium d mainboards from supermicro, they have pretty cool stuff.
supermicro.com/products/nfo/Xeon-D.cfm

>work offers apartment
>like 200 dollars a month and doing lights out round once a week
>everything included, electricity, water not internet though
>in the middle of fucking nowhere
>still fiber option
life is great

It depends really on how much you intend to use it. I've done some research, but you'll have to look to actual server motherboards, simply for power efficiency. You're really not going to want to power an audio jack port.

Setup:
-AMD G-T56n (2x1.65GHz, 1MB L2 cache, TDP 10W after undervolting)
-8GB DDR3 RAM
-16GB SSD boot drive
-2x2TB Samsung M9T HDDs
-500GB Hitachi HDD
-Onboard Wi-Fi a/b/g/n with two antennas (2x2 MIMO 300Mbps) with wifi hotspot ability
-Bluetooth 4.0
-100% passively cooled
-Power consumption of only 20W under full load of absolutely everything (CPU, GPU, all HDDs)
-USB 3.0

Cost me $250 including all HDDs, 2,5" HDD case, Back-UPS 350 UPS + management cable.

Running a Lenovo D20 that I bought off my school for decent money ($300 CAD).
>E5520x2
>48 giggerbytes ECC
>GTX 680, which is in secondary rig
>3TB Seagate meme drive

Currently trying out Proxmox with it before going back to XenServer or ESXi. LXC containers are cool and all but I'm away from home for the month and the web gui is a pain on mobile. I can't even create new VMs.

I also have a NAS that sees more actual use but it has a painful disk size. Reused the drives that came from above (250GBx2) on a FreeNAS box running Plex and Transmission jails. 4GB of ram on an Anniversary Pentium and its pretty solid. Only like 20GB left on it though so I'm gonna have to look into some disk options.

>Literally any pc with gigabit ethernet.
>raspberry pi.

pls. The Pi only has 10/100 and it shares the bandwidth with the rest of the USB devices attached. I tried using one as a little file server for videos but it was truly terrible.

That's a nice little computer OP

And here's my old mobile server. Got rid of it because pre-sandy bridge CPUs are insecure.

>AMD
I've always been wary about using AMD for server stuff. Stable enough?

Very stable. It's an embedded processor, not desktop.

Look up FreeNAS, ZFS, Btrfs. Does Sup Forums have an opinion on these? Would like to check it out to prevent any heavy data losses in the future.

This is how this little fucker looks like inside.

Interesting. Looks quiet too. Any trouble you ran into when setting it up?

ZFS & BTRFS are not replacements for backups, if you don't want to lose data make backups.

What computer is that?

The first time I owned one I couldn't use the IDE interface with HDDs bigger than 500GB. Upgrading BIOS fixed this problem.

If I were to make my own server, can I dedicate parts of it for file transfer/ media playback and another part to run a minecraft server for my son and his friends?

You could virtualize the servers and give them differen amound of ram, cpu cores and so on. For the file & media serving you could pass through the hba/raid controller & nics to the vm running plex or whatever you want to use.

ZFS and BTRFS are more for data integrity and redundancy. Any form of RAID is not a replacement for good backups.

>my wifes son
fixed

>my son
KEK

>BTRFS
>data integrity

>pre-sandy bridge CPUs are insecure

Care to elaborate?

>insecure
>uses windows

Hes probably talking about data execution prevention and secure boot.

>Power consumption of only 20W under full load
this is not possible

Yes it is, familia.
My power meter and UPS readings don't lie.

theregister.co.uk/2015/08/11/memory_hole_roots_intel_processors/

The extra cost of a server motherboard.will vastly exceed the cost of powering on board audio. Lol like we're talking 30 years to recoupe.

The main cost of server boards is in support for xeons/opterons and support for ecc ram. Some have more robust storage controllers as well.

Op any PC will do.

just the hard drives would consume more than 20w

Thanks

More like BTFOFS, amirite?

Any source on that?
M9T uses 0.85A at 5V line MAX (only when it spins up). During normal operations and idle it uses much less power. SATA DOM module uses less than 0,5W, and the external HDD uses 4W MAX (same as M9T). CPU is heavily undervolted and RAM is DDR3L.

bump

Best file system?

Use fat

Using an old Dell Poweredge 840 that I picked up for $50

Windows Storages Spaces is neat

Pic

Personally, I have been running a small server with a 2550k and 8 gig ram and had no problems. I do light game servers and use it as storage for my class work. Since the work a server does in the home setting is not as intense you really could start with a raspberry pi. Also I am running the latest CentOS and script my shit up with Python so I don't have to type 8000 commands.

Sup /hst/

I'm running a FreeNAS server on an old Compaq Presario desktop that my dad passed on to me. For some reason when I transfer files to it from my main pc I only get about 10 mb/s transfer speed, but when I transfer files to my shitty laptop through the same switch and cable I get 50 mb/s. Can someone spoonfeed me where the bottleneck is?

>PC 1
>Windows 7
>7200rpm WD Black
>8 gigs of memory RAM power
>Athlon X4 750K

>Server
>FreeNAS with all the windows shit configured
>7200rpm samsung shit drive
>3 gigs RAM
>Athlon 2 255

They're wired through cat5 and a cheap D-link gigabit switch.

>mfw I see 100 gig transfer at 10 mb/s

>concerned about security
>using wifi

Where did I state that I used wifi on mobile server?

You didn't, I misread your post sorry

A lot of people ITT might recommend insanely over powered components for a file server. My file server is a Pentium G3460 sitting in an Asrock H97 m-itx motherboard with 4GB ddr3. I have 16TB (4x4TB) in a Fractal Node 304 case. Even with me, my little sister, and my parents streaming 1080p Blu-ray rips over the network to the TV in the living room, my room, and my sister's, the CPU barely reaches 50% load serving us all.

My build was around $700 for everything. For $700. Yes you can get a dual Xeon setup with 100GB ram etc, but keep in mind how much power those things use and as a server, it will be on for a long time. Unless you're looking to do heavy encoding, host a game server, or server 100+ clients at once, I would just go for a low power setup.

well without knowing the exact Compaq model i can't be 100% sure, but based on this one it looks like you have a 10 / 100 Mb/s NIC. max throughput would be 12.5 MB/s
h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c02551631-13
you probably have an extra PICe x1 slot, so buy a gigabit NIC, they're only like $10-15

pic related is a SSH FTP HTTP server. I use it to learn how to server.

also i got a core Duo with 2 GB of ram on a mobo waiting me to serverize them, but i need a case and HDD (sata II I think it's form 2008)

What do you use to stream video content to your TV over the network? Or do you have some fancy smart TV.

does anyone have recommendations for high HDD capacity cases or PCI Sata expansion cards (RAID or non-RAID)?
My goal is a low power high capacity NAS, but low power boards / cpus usually don't have many sata ports, thus the expansion card.

I currently have a poweredge 2950 with 16gb ram and 6TB space, but its a bit loud and uses more power then i would like.

If you want a cheap one and plan to use ZFS, then you should get a JBOD PCI card.

Thats the exact model. Thanks user

Just get an AM1 setup with a second hand HP HBA. Dirt cheap and like 45W.

i don't plan on using ZFS
I was already looking at AM1 for the base, but they have few sata ports. I'll look into these HBA boards, so long as they aren't SAS, i want to use the drives i have already.
Thanks user

Smart TV, but you can just use a mini PC or one of those Intel NUCs. They support full OS. Just connect to the server from the PC. Find the movie. Open it like you would if it was stored on your own PC. It plays via VLC over the network.

Thoughts about using one of these as a home server/seedbox? These are literally cheaper than a raspberry pi 3

Ah okay, to bad I don't have a smart TV, I do have an Intel NUC, but using it as my home server at the moment, and a Steam link, but its not really convenient as it doesnt support direct playback on its own.

this sounds too cheap to be real

>45 nm
its real

>windows
>security

Are you a 15 year old haxxor