Retro vintage computer thread !

retro vintage computer thread !

Also Is this worth picking up at around 70$, it is functional has some games/software on it also it includes everything on piucture

Other urls found in this thread:

mikeash.com/pyblog/friday-qa-2012-01-13-the-mac-toolbox.html
blog.steventroughtonsmith.com/post/109040361205/mpw-carbon-and-building-classic-mac-os-apps-in-os
1000bit.it/ad/bro/ast/AST286.pdf
classictech.wordpress.com/computer-companies/ast-research-inc-irvine-calif/
virtuallyfun.superglobalmegacorp.com/2014/03/11/web-rendering-proxy-update/
my.mixtape.moe/cqfxdj.ogg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

those trips

what is it a 386 , 286 ??

its a 286 AST research

Get an Atari Falcon or Amiga, mate.

Now that's computing.

Managed to get some life into my 380ED, but I think I have a few caps on their way out on the power supply daughterboard.

I gotchu sempai

that is just junk

Plastic with dead electronics in it circlejerk general!

Where's Ebenezer?

>$70
it isn't "worth" $3, but you could get $200 if you sell it to a retarded hipster on ebay. VINTAGE RETRO COOL!

How can you tell the difference anymore?

>380ED
Mah niggah
380Z best tho

fugme

dont be mean

some SCSI vintage stuff

I finally got the macintosh plus to boot properly.

Hoping there's an older mac expert buzzing around…

I'm looking to pick up one of the later OS 9 booting Mac laptops. Right now I'm looking at the last-gen PowerBook G3, one of the white (non clamshell) iBook G3s, or a TiBook G4.

Out of these options, which is best? I've heard the TiBooks have a lot of hardware issues. I wouldn't be against a clamshell iBook, but the 800x600 resolution is hard to come to terms with and most for sale now are stupidly expensive due to their unique design.

that's not an AST box, looks like a USSR clone

they guy told me it has a AST research motherboard

Gonna check before purchasing if its really, its got loads of software with it too, picking-it up on tuesday morning at 70 $ gonna try knocking it down even more

I went to a computer fair today, hoping to find something old.
It was all shit/"new" stuff and pirated copies of freeware.
I'm in a good mind to report him to the police.

I wish hiro would just ban you with that maki spamming turbo shitter, I bet you're probably the same lonely, empty, bitter person

do us all a favor go back to jerking off about your shit '90s kid games on with the rest of the hipsters

it depends on what you want to do with it, think I would lean towards a high-end PBG3 personally, quite partial to the Lombard since it supports both USB and SCSI peripherals along with onboard ethernet and (potentially) 800k floppy drives making the top-of-the-line 400 MHz model a bitchin' bridge system, would still be dailying my 333 if I hadn't dinged up the corner on it, it wasn't too bad on the JS-less net either

on top of that, they look very nice, better in my opinion than the consumer-y iBooks or the later TiBooks that look kind of thrown together prototypes of the later aluminum models

you're that slovenian guy right? it's probably still a yugo clone, that case style and the design of the hard disk faceplate are very similar to other commie clone systems, but you guys probably didn't get fucked as much on trade deals so you didn't have to actually clone the hardware like the soviets did

>it depends on what you want to do with it
Mainly play old OS 9 games that don't run in SheepShaver and don't run correctly under Classic. I may also use it as a low-distraction environment and may play around with developing Classic Mac OS applications with the Macintosh Toolbox and Carbon.

On that note, here are a couple extremely interesting articles on Toolbox and Carbon. Mindblowing that it's possible to write code that runs on everything from the original Mac all the way up to a modern Mac running Sierra (second link).
mikeash.com/pyblog/friday-qa-2012-01-13-the-mac-toolbox.html
blog.steventroughtonsmith.com/post/109040361205/mpw-carbon-and-building-classic-mac-os-apps-in-os

that was a pretty cool read, I want to try my hand at development myself later down the road, probably a better use for this dual 1 GHz Quicksilver than shitposting on Sup Forums

since I don't play a ton of games on my systems I don't really know whether the G3's ATI chipset is going to fulfill your needs as far as games go, though I can't imagine it would be terrible, for development and "productivity" stuff though I really like the keyboards on the lombard+, wallstreet is probably okay too if I remember correctly

My first.

The graphics and sound sucked compared to the c64 I got later, but the Motorola 6809E was a good processor.

I learned BASIC on this little guy.

Yeah I think I'm going to shoot for a Lombard or Pismo if I go down that route.

I used to own an iMac G3 with ATI Rage 128 Pro 8MB graphics and it was fine for most classic Mac OS games but I don't think I'd want to drop down much further than that. Pismos look to use the same Rage 128 chipset and Lombards use a similar but older one so either should be OK but Wallstreets are a touch too old.

yeah, they also don't have USB either, really one of the only reasons I would snag one other than looks/collectors' autism would be the serial port for phoneNET transfers between ancient systems

even if its a clone it works just as fine

Not true, if you don't have the *original*, you can't join our club. GENUINE VINTAGE ORIGINAL OEM.

emulating is no good, because it's too good. Here's a list of games I've never heard of or cared about before this time that I just googled that won't work on emulators, and will then insist I need.

I have that same background :)
Very comfy

Have some vintage software browsing Sup Forums

That was my first computer

you're misunderstanding me, the fact that it's a clone makes it cool as fuck, eastern bloc engineering and aesthetics were fascinating

have you tried classilla out yet? I find it a little nicer than iCab desu

youre just like those fags who fell for the 16GB meme or the CS meme

Can I watch youtube and browse webz on a 386 computer ??

>there are plebs ITT who don't route a streaming set-top box into an ISA TV tuner in their shitboxes

I can top this.

FSF have one of the best built websites around, very nice markup.

Not this meme again

Nice

I want to see someone browsing Sup Forums on a PDP 11

I visited the Cambridge Computer Museum a few weeks back. If anyone's around there, or goes to visit the UK at any time, I really, really recommend it! They have loads of old machines, up and running, ready to be played with. I could have stayed there all day.

??? it looks nothing like the AST monitor or keyboard, nor any actual AST 286 systems
1000bit.it/ad/bro/ast/AST286.pdf

these things are collectible and hard to find these days, go for it

the monitor looks exactly the same

classictech.wordpress.com/computer-companies/ast-research-inc-irvine-calif/

no shit it's got an AST logo on it, I'm talking about the system it's attached to

get out butthurt faggot

go back to /vr/

im still taking it cause of the MFM hard drive which are very rare specially if still wprking

It looks like a really generic clone, probably made in taiwan
Imported computers were not uncommon in some eastern bloc countries in the 1980s

not the guy you're replying to and I know this is a joke, but I've often wondered how feasible it'd be to build a specialized card/box that handles some of the more strenuous parts of the modern digital world and makes them more readily consumable for older computers.

Really that mostly means the web, video, and depending on the machine high-bitrate audio. Basically everything people use computers for today has remained virtually unchanged since graphical UIs became mainstream.

pretty much 80% of computers from Europe were imports, benn collecting them for a bit now here IN EUROPE AND NEVER SEEN A IBM or very rarely

Well yeah, the IBM was almost always the most expensive option

For 70, buy a tablet. Faster processor, better graphics, lower power consumption

But I did once install win95 on an old 386 for laughs. Was slow as balls. Took about 10 min to boot

I recently received this in the mail after I sent an iPhone 5C to a man who scammed me and i have no idea what this is. I have 10 of these and just looking to see if anyone knows what they are, what they're called, and if they're worth anything. Thanks

You might consider going back to Sup Forums

Think the cable is to power a hard drive. Dunno what the chip goes to. But I'd say it's all junk

Looks like some kind of LED segment display and a controller for it
Worth absolutely nothing

Why are you even in this thread

Its a technology thread and this is technology so rethink that question

lets keep this thread alive till Tuesday, to see wat OP gets

is that what I think it is?

why are you so upset?
do it, it sounds like a nice piece of kit
it looks too weird to be taiwanese though, never seen anything like it stateside
it can totally be done, the most straightforward way would be to glue an SBC to a card that acts as a fake ethernet controller/bridge and have it run as a webrender proxy, outputting web pages to clickable GIF image maps meaning you can actually use browsers that were available at the time, there were also tons of coprocessor boards for video playback in Pentium/Pentium II era
>But I did once install win95 on an old 386 for laughs. Was slow as balls. Took about 10 min to boot
the fuck were you expecting, retard? you couldn't even buy a 386 in the entry level when Win95 started shipping

virtuallyfun.superglobalmegacorp.com/2014/03/11/web-rendering-proxy-update/

i dont really take photos of my things.. its hard to get good images with my shitty phone

You can't do *anything* with this garbage, besides take pictures of it and jack off. If it turns on, you still can't do anything with it. So it might as well not work anyway.

you can play dos games on it.. maybe use some linux too

but you can watch youtube on it right at very low quality

if everyone stopped replying to that butthurt the world would be a better place

Would it still be possible to use a Wndows 98 computer to connect to the modern Internet? I've heard of kernel extenders that let them get more modern browsers. Anyone have experience with this?

I pretty regularly shitpost here from '90s hardware and software, if by "modern" internet you mean Javascript and all, though, it's not going to be a stellar experience with slow PC100/133 SDRAM, a system with RDRAM or DDR is a minimum for a somewhat smooth experience.

old days of AOL

your monitor is leaking

it was a free lcd monitor that i found by a dumpster. i use it when I need to set up a system quick without lugging a CRT around.

Cool, I appreciate the heads up

Managed to get here on plain old 98SE and its last compatible version of Opera. YouTube is a no-go.

Can't imagine those Dixon PIIs, as based as they are, are really up to the task.

How does it handle JavaScript? If at all? I mostly run NT4 on that kind of hardware that has fuck all browser support.

i should buy a cpu fan for this thing.. its only useful when its winter

God tier wireless card, still have one that's working and in use.

Looky looky what I got today!

Just finished modding a ATX PSU for it, the original one is so weak I didn't want to run it with it and my old A500 PSU was making noises.

Tomorrow I'll retrobright the PSU case and then I scan put it on.

pic related

noice
the software is the best part

All of it is good if you ask me

can i play prince of persia on a 286 computer ?

It has a rough time existing. It can browse wikipedia all day, and that's about the most stable it gets. Trying to even launch IE guarantees failure. Recently miraculously got that machine running XP, and that's running a little more smoothly. That things got demons that I can't really sort out.

It just werks. Even still have the manual, box, and CD.

Yup

its so fucking cute

Monochrome Sup Forums

(me)
It even had the warranty seal still in tact, it was so sad breaking it when unscrewing the screws.

Why did you break it, was it for the PSU mod?

Eugh, XP on one of those sounds like suffering. I guess if you throw enough RAM in it, it can be bearable, however.

I pretty much do the same thing with my ThinkPad 600E, shitpost here, surf wikipedia, maybe a forum or two. Not good for much else, but that's fine, most of what I do is on those sites anyway, or through SSH or offline applications.

Hate that shit, had to deal with that recently with a Compaq box.

No, it was on the computer itself.
The guy I bought it from didn't give me much information, I had to check how the caps were doing (they are looking good, probably won't need a change right away) and clean it inside.

I'm going to add quite a few expansions to it anyways, what all require me to open it.

Okay

Nice!
I've got a A1200 back home in storage. I've got no room for all my retro stuff in my apartment sad to say.

my.mixtape.moe/cqfxdj.ogg
I will never forget these noises

320MB RAM makes it bearable. I need to learn the ways of old better on the other drive I have built for it with just DOS 6.22. But yeah, minimal browsing on old machines is always a mark of achievement. Rebuilding the battery for this thing was a nightmare.

Awesome!
My 600 is gonna fly once I'm done with it!

Hello tiny.

Heh indeed.
I don't regret ditching CRTs tho. Other hardware of old I remember fondly, but not CRTs. Thank God for the affordable large-diagonal LCDs of today. I won't be really happy until they are replaced by something without the response problem (OLEDs? I hoped for something that doesn't fucking age!), but still, the comfy and static image quality of even a cheap AOC i2757fm I have is a great step up.

Pic: case of my second compy - 486SX @ 50 MHz, 4 MB RAM. I regret not preserving it, but at least it served other people for some time.

>want an old machine to dick around with
>look on ebay
>everything's being sold as "vintage" or "collector's item" for hundreds of bucks
>Pentium Pros only being sold in huge piles for gold scrap
>can't even find an okay slot 1 mobo/CPU for a decent price, let alone a 486 or anything

fucking hell, when did this shit happen

I don't buy whole computers from ebay, only parts, on local ad's old shit is cheap and actually quite common.

my city's craigslist didn't even have anything older than P4s. most were C2Ds or newer. everything was just as overpriced

Hey big bro!

this is my experience with local craigslist too. I'm hunting for old macs and the pickings are slim. if you don't want a G5 tower or an alu powerbook G4 you're out of luck. only option is ebay

I live in Europe and have a local ad site, like eBay but just local shit and everybody can post.
It's like a goldmine.

What accelerator and expansions did you have again?

Try finding dual/quad CPU boards.