/spg/ - Smartphone General - Boring Sunday Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of March 2016
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>Shill your Xiaomi
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES

News:
>OTA fixes RAM and screen issues on OnePlus 3
gizchina.com/2016/06/26/ota-fixes-ram-and-screen-issues-on-oneplus-3/

>LeEco’s New LEX720 Smartphone With SD821 Scores Over 154K On AnTuTu
gizmochina.com/2016/06/24/leecos-new-smartphone-sd821-scores-154k-antutu/

>Google to step up smartphone wars with release of own handset
telegraph.co.uk/technology/2016/06/26/google-to-step-up-smartphone-wars-with-release-of-own-handset/

>Dual camera setup and smart connector port appear on leaked Apple iPhone 7 Plus photo
phonearena.com/news/Dual-camera-setup-and-smart-connector-port-appear-on-leaked-Apple-iPhone-7-Plus-photo_id82605

>Leaked Note 7 specs: 5.7" QHD SAMOLED, 64GB + microSD, 12MP DualP / 5MP, IP68, black/silver/blue
twitter.com/evleaks/status/746727233574866945

>Google is building a live support app with screen-sharing for Nexus devices
androidpolice.com/2016/06/24/exclusive-google-is-building-a-live-support-app-with-screen-sharing-for-nexus-devices/

Other urls found in this thread:

lmgtfy.com/?q=fastboot
gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_360418.html
geekbuying.com/item/-Spain-Stock-OUKITEL-K6000-Pro-5-5inch-LTPS-2-5D-FHD-4G-6000mAh-Android-6-0-Smartphone-64-Bit-MTK6753-Octa-Core-3GB-32GB-16-0MP-Touch-ID-Flash-Charge-OTG---White-367933.html
kimovil.com/en/compare/htc-10-32gb,lg-g5-eu
examinephones.com/HTC-10-vs-LG-G5/
gsmarena.com/lenovo_zuk_z2-8125.php
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Are screen protectors necessary in 2016 when most (read: any worth buying) phones come with Corning™ Gorilla® Glass© screens?

Specifically I mean in preventing scuffs and scratches. I don't care about shock absorption from drops because I'm not a retard and I am able to use my $600 device without smashing it onto concrete accidentally.

The shitty feeling they give off made them not worth it in 2010

They have glass ones these days though.

Should I wait for the next Nexus gens or just get the 6P? I don't play any games or do anything that NEEDS the latest hardware

Depends on the phone, but I'd say yes. For some retarded reason, the glass bullbles out from the bezel on most phones now, so if you drop it like 2 feet, the screen is taking a direct hit.

Didn't know that, actually sounds decent. Kind of redundant to put glass over glass.

>Kind of redundant to put glass over glass.

Still easier to replace an $8 glass screen protector if it gets scratched by a grain of sand in your pocket than to replace a whole device or live with the scratch on the screen itself.

Having no protector sucks though. My S7 Edge's display doesn't repel oils as effectively as my current plastic protector.

Even pocket sand can scratch gorillion glass.

>Are screen protectors necessary in 2016
Yes, screens are still fragile af. looking at you Sony/Samsung.

>good resources
>phonearena

>muh review score numbers
>100% cancerous comment sections
>clickbait articles
>guides for tech illiterates

Whats the best phone case for the Xiaomeme Redmeme Note 3 Pro?

I have a nexus 4 how do I install cyanogen mod? My sound buttons are broken I can't do recovery mode

Use fastboot commands to reboot to recovery

What's fastboot

Posted a while back about peeing on my s7 edge. Just wanted to let you know everything worked out. Used an alcohol wipe afterwards and avoided soap for clean-up.

lmgtfy.com/?q=fastboot

Get rekt

I can get a xperia z3 compact for about $200. Is it worth getting or are there any other smaller phones for a similar price range? Most chink phones don't have band 17 for ATT here in burgerland.

>just bought s7

>allow google to regularly check device acti-

nigga what?

z3c and z5c are hands down the best small smartphones out there. I'd get it if I were you.

I'm thinking about getting a new phone. What flagships are nice this gen?

Oneplus 3 or Nexus 6P from last year. Galaxy S7 and HTC 10 are pretty nice but not worth the extra price compared to the first two.

One plus 3 is probably your best bet. It's cheap and had high end specs with outstanding performance.

>0.1 Rupee has been added to you OnePlus™ account
Fuck off, shill. OP3 is shit.

Someone is mad they got shilled into buying a samsung

>0.1 Rupee has been added to your OnePlus™ account
Good job, Pajeet. Maybe you'll be the poo of the month.

Is efox trustworthy? I'm considering getting the Oukitel K10000 from there.

To whoever asked me about my priv last thread here is my answer.

>Have you upgraded to Marshmallow?
No AT&T hasn't released it yet because they are slow as fuck at updates for anything other than iphone

>How's the heat issue?
It can get pretty warm but only when I'm streaming 4g or running a very unoptimzed emulator. The back of the phone is very thin so that also plays a role in feeling the warmth.

>It's so close to my dream phone, but apparently the keyboard is a little shit for BlackBerry standards
It's not blackberry's best keyboard but I can say that having owned many phones with keyboards it is probably the best I've had. It feels pretty close to the classic's keyboard.

>and it gets hot.
When the phone comes out of the box it needs all the blackberry services and apps updated as some where causing the processor to max out and that where you here about battery drain and privs to hot to touch. Now many people didn't figure this out because they don't automatically show up in the play store as needing to be updated. As soon as I updated those I was golden. Only gets warm when on 4g streaming and battery has yet to run out before the end of the day.

>Plus the SoC is a little old, compared to the hella gainz from the 820
Eh true but you can buy the most top of the line chip and it will be old news in 6 months so that game is an always a losing battle.

At the end of the day is it perfect? Definitely not but if you want a big beautiful touchscreen and keyboard it's really the only player on the field.

Most people will hate all over this phone for some reason or another but just remember that the average poster in this thread still has a bed time.

Overkill. get K6000 Pro instead.

can you root that fucker? Bootloader can't be unlocked afaik, blackberry would not allow this.

I think if I had peed on a OP3, I'd be out a phone. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Yeah you're right that's a better one, but is efox trustworthy? Also is Geekbuying trustworthy? I know it's in the wiki but the online reviews seem rather mixed. What is the best place to buy a K6000 Pro, having in mind that I'm a Yuropoor (Poortuguese to be specific)?

OP3 is a great phone. I just replaced my Moto X with it and am incredibly impressed.

>but is efox trustworthy?
Never heard of them

>What is the best place to buy a K6000 Pro
gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_360418.html

Gearbest sends it from Europe. that way you won't have to pay custom fees and tax, and it will probably arrive sooner.

Say, how impressed are you with the shitty pentile screen and battery?

geekbuying.com/item/-Spain-Stock-OUKITEL-K6000-Pro-5-5inch-LTPS-2-5D-FHD-4G-6000mAh-Android-6-0-Smartphone-64-Bit-MTK6753-Octa-Core-3GB-32GB-16-0MP-Touch-ID-Flash-Charge-OTG---White-367933.html

Seems to have it in their Spain warehouse so that's might be better for you.

What phone do I buy if I'm a poorfag and want Stock Android?

How does the S7 Exynos compare to the Note 4?

Nexus 5x on deepdish discount.

Cheapest chink with AOSP rom.

I'm thinking of buying >pic related
Anyone has it and can share some thoughts? Are triggers actual analog triggers, or just buttons? Also how's the dpad?

What does this have to do with smartphones?

Is the HTC Desire 610 a good phone for $1? How does it compare to other phones in its (normal) price range?

Should I copy apps, accounts and data from my old htc to my S7? I don't want any bloatware bullshit and hidden stuff to get on without my knowing.

Who else /waitingfornexus/ here?

Anyone here actually have a OP3 and can review it? Also is there any compelling reason to buy a One M9 for ~300 in 2k16?

>tfw Nexus 5 hasn't broke yet
Just kill me familia

>One M9 for ~300
Ahhh, no.

Maybe if they'd pay me the 1$.

Need a new phone Sup Forums, what buy?

I use my phone for music and general work stuff, emails, telnet/ssh. Anyone here got an xperia x or z5? Thoughts on the button placement?

No root available yet, maybe never. It would be a knock on blackberry if someone finds a way to do it. It doesn't bother me. At this point hardware is more than capable of running stock roms perfectly. Custom roms were far more important a few years ago when phones still had trouble running the carrier provided rom.

Whats your opinion? Should I get an S7 edge now or wait for the S8 to come out?

Z5 for $443?
G5 for $479?

Been thinking about this, what price should I aim for?
I've read that Redmi Note 3 Pro is good, is it easy to put AOSP ROM on it?

Also I outgre the custom rom scene. At this point in my life I have far to much going on to constantly be toying with my phone. I just need something that does what it's supposed to.

Z5:
>decent camera, but sony oilpainting camera software
>classy looking waterproof housing
>SD810 housefire cpu
>battery is decent

G5:
>better camera with a cool wide angle meme, software is probably pretty good
>okay housing out of metal that feels like plastic. flimsy modular mechanism, thin shitty screen glass.
>SD820 newer less housefirey cpu
>battery is shitty and small because it has to be removable

I'd go for the Z5 unless you really care about the camera.

Z5 is going to be better for battery life. I'd rather have a phone that just lasts for a day and is one solid brick than a phone with a flimsy mechanism that I have to use every day because the battery doesn't last a full day.

I mean, how are you even supposed to charge your second battery anyways.

t. G2 user that is disappointed in all later LG flagships

>is it easy to put AOSP ROM on it?
Yeah there's ton of tutorials out there. you can ask the the shop your'e buying it from to do it for you if your'e buying from Aliexpress/gearbest.

the s8 is a year away. now I'd the best time to buy the s7

Thanks a lot, senpai! Have a rare Portuguese political pepe as a thank you.

>battery is shitty and small because it has to be removable
Is it that bad that it's worth using an outdated chip and paying the Sony markup?

do you make it a habit to piss on your phones? is this a thing you regularly do?

Some of us have a girlfriend that's cool without fetishist bro. You never asked a girl to pee for you. They will all do it if you ask.

so you regularly get girls to pee on your phone then, that's your fetish?

Well in the past it was always about taking a video of them kissing but now with the waterproof phones I can have her literally kiss on the camera for that POV style. Girls love piss play.

Fuck I have a new phone and I haven't added all the swear words to its dictionary yet so it's trying to autocorrect.

battery life in phonearena's tests was
7 hours for z5
5hours50mins for g5

so more than an hour less, probably because the screen resolution of the g5 negates any improvement you would have gotten off the newer cpu.

The real problem with the g5 for me is that it just looks and feels awful and cheap in real life. The battery life alone is not necessarily the deciding factor.

And I don't know what you do with your phone, but I don't think you're going to feel like your phone is too slow if you have a sd810.

Thank you so much for answering my questions, user.
The heat issue has apparently been fixed more with Marshmallow, but still looking for a consensus on that.
Marshmallow should be available to you, though, at least in the "BlackBerry Beta Zone"

It's definitely still a phone I'm considering, but I'll see what they have to announce next month. It seems like a steal for $300, though.

Beta zone is now closed for marshmallow unfortunately. For $300 I'd say it's worth it.

Just picked up a s7 edge earlier today.

Still early but liking it so far. Never had a Samsung phone because I loathed TouchWiz but it seems much improved. Coming from a nexus 6 and nexus 5 before that, the camera is pretty impressive

The edge is a meme, makes it hard to hold without a case. Could do without it but wanted the bigger screen and battery.

Speaker is awful but oh well. Also it's a SD820 so no root.

Most expensive phone I have ever owned, I guess time will tell if it will be worth it.

I just did a little redesign on my phone comparison portfolio project, what do you guys think?
www.examinephones.com

My question isn't about phones, but carriers. Who's the best no-contract carrier for cheap in the New England area?

Pros of Virgin Mobile: Decent LTE coverage, $35/mo, unlimited text, more call minutes than I'll ever use. I'm on wi-fi most of the time so I never really hit the data limit.
Cons: Locked-sim phones only, most come bogged down with bloat-ware. Extremely limited phone selection, many are outdated, slow updates to things like OS. I ended up buying a moto G 2015 just a couple months ago because it was either that, samsung Galaxy J7, or htc Desire 626s, Galaxy S7, or iPhone.

I want a carrier that can match Virgin's (Sprint's) speeds/ coverage, at a decent price, that lets me use whatever phone I want.

yooo this site is sick. nice and straightforward. thanx senpai

>phones come with Corning™ Gorilla® Glass©
Sand is harder than chimpglass
Sand can scratch ur screen

Thanks, but those guys only do pre-orders. I'm sticking with gearbest. Thanks a lot, though.

Thanks senpai, I know it's not going to surpass GSMArena any time soon but it's worth the practice if you guys have any feature suggestions.

1.White text on blue background sucks, hard to read.
2.Missing a lot of phones
3.Only links to amazon
4.Kimovil already does that perfectly e.g:

kimovil.com/en/compare/htc-10-32gb,lg-g5-eu

examinephones.com/HTC-10-vs-LG-G5/

checked!

What's dropshipping? I'm buying a phone on gearbest, should I request it to be dropshipped? Is it relevant?

Honestly I haven't had a screen get noticeably scratched in forever. I always have a case with a lip over the screen. Phone goes in a pocket by itself and I don't live on the fucking beach so there really isn't sand in my pocket...

No, it's for retailers/suppliers.

>he thinks pocket sand is literal sand
>he thinks there is no dirt where he lives

please stop being retarded

Drop shipping is when a retailer sells you an item without ever actually physically having the item. You buy it and they have the manufacturer ship the product directly to you.

thanks fameronies

1. The cool thing is I set it up so I can put in any main background colour and the rest is taken care of. Still deciding on the most pretty and legible choice.
2. Adding phones is definitely a priority after the site itself is mostly done.
3. I'm planning affiliate links for Best Buy, TigerDirect, Newegg, any others I can find.
4. Yeah that sucks but I'm mainly working on this for practice and something to put on my portfolio.

Make sure you choose the EU warehouse for shipping.

I want to get a new android phone; my Z3 broke, and Sony doesn't want to bother to repair it. So I'm done with that company.

My main concerns are:
1. audio quality
2. micro SD slot
3. good battery
4. multiple frequencies

Which phones should I be looking at?

1. Keep it simple. black text on white background.
2. Great, don't forget the chinkphones and submodels (e.g. S7 Exynos /S7 SD820)
3. Kimovil shows you the cheapest place online from hundreds of shops, that's what makes it useful. they have a bot that does that I imagine. see if you can do something similar. pic related.
4. Cool. good on you I guess. update us with progess, could always use more good resources and tools.

semsun ass 5(minie)

Is there a Sup Forums guide to what I should deny/allow, accept/decline when im setting up a new android phone?

How credible are these claims of Google building their own phones in addition to the Nexus program?
The HTC nexus interests me, but if a Pixel style phone is due then I don't wait to jump the gun come fall.

The phone Google is building is the Nexus phone.

>SD 820
>4+ ram
>No larger than 5.3ish
>SD slot
>good camera
>AMOLED screen

Is an S7 actually my only choice here?

All right guys, at the moment i own an HTC One, good phone however seems every single one get really hot, planning to get a Moto G 4 Plus or something similar (suggestions?), looking for a nice cam and a cellphone which doesnt get hot really easy (the weather here is fucking hot)

Not exactly hard to believe since Google has unlimited cash reserves to fund such division.

I caved in and bought an iPhone SE since my iP5 is dying after nearly 4 years of use. I guess it could be fixed by getting a new battery and on/off button, but it's slowing down and can't keep up with new media, so was due for replacement anyway. Why are there no compact android phones for handlets like me?

ZUK Z2

actually yes

not SD 820

>not SD 820
gsmarena.com/lenovo_zuk_z2-8125.php