Outside of the Bay Area, where are the best tech cities to work?

My vote is the Research Triangle Park.

It has:
North Carolina State University
University of Chapel Hill
Duke University

It has the following companies:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Research_Triangle_Park#Companies_and_institutions_in_or_near_the_Research_Triangle_Park

and various startups and companies such as

nutanix.com/

americanunderground.com/

Other urls found in this thread:

nyidanmark.dk/en-us/coming_to_dk/work/positivelist/positive_list_overview.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

people dont work here

RTP is a good place. Cheap living, high salaries.

Boston, Austin, Seattle, and maybe Denver.

Why Denver?

Not sure but it seems like it since it has a bunch of tech companies, government, and university research. Lots of people seem to be moving there for the scenery and jobs. I'd actually say that it's more of the entire "front range" area and not just Denver itself.

she's perfect

anthea page

I actually moved from Texas to Denver about two months ago. Yeah, there are definitely a lot of jobs out there, not only for "experienced" developers either. Denver Tech Center has a bunch of places to work. Not only that, but DISH is currently hiring a shit ton of people since they're building a new office.

I currently live in Austin, no jobs here for junior devs.

Like, none...

Research Triangle Park is the stodgiest, most lifeless cubical hell imaginable. It has none of the vibrancy or joy that the Bay Area, Seattle, or Portland have.

People there are only working for the check and count the minutes until they can go home. People on the west coast love what they do and look forward to coming into work in the mornings.

This is so true, how do you know this?

Will be honest, I'm pretty much this. I'm just trying to save for other goals, so oh well.

Los Angeles, because with your silicon beach money, you can get a hotter chick than with your money anywhere else.

>NC
OH FUCK NO. The Southeast is a fucking shithole. Live literally anywhere else.

It's something I've noticed, too. I hate California, but living here has some weird effect on my mood.

How is LA, by the way? I contemplated moving there a few years back but everyone I talked to about it told me that Los Angeles is an expensive shithole. Also, I have a sneaking suspicion that it's been overrun with hipster vermin too, though admittedly that's a little unfounded.

I work at a company in RTP. Feel like its a place to go once you worked in tech for 20+ years and have no relevant skill sets outside specific vendor lockins. I don't see much youth at my company and majority of the people on my team are my parents age. They get paid well, but I don't feel excited about anything I do.

LA is expensive and kind of a shithole, yea. It's a fairly upscale shithole, though.

This is true of a lot of locations...

>Feel like its a place to go once you worked in tech for 20+ years and have no relevant skill sets outside specific vendor lockins
The same could be said of pretty much every inland city that is hiring tech professionals.

Seattle or Austin/Dallas because no state income tax. Fuck giving an extra 10% of my money away to welfare niggers.

Did a contract job in Research Park once. It was horrible. I've never worked somewhere so bad; even before I got into SE and was working retail, at least there everyone had a lighthearted view of how awful the job was.

Innovation was absolutely banned. The team leads and architects were ancient motherfuckers who hadn't picked up a book or opened a tutorial in over a decade, and they rejected anything they didn't immediately understand. The project was written in C++98, and if Jesus descended on a sunbeam amidst a choir of angels and told the architects to use C++11, they'd have him crucified again. Several times I got code rejected with the reason "this isn't done anywhere else in the codebase". Company engineers had gotten so used to copying and pasting code, and looking for usage examples elsewhere in the codebase, that when I was pairing with one of them and opened the C++ specification website, he had literally never seen it before. Nearly every function was stateful, modules were completely interconnected, and when I pointed out how bad that was, half of the time they wouldn't understand what I was talking about and the other half of the time they'd ignore me.

Man, everything you said scales and is so true.

Your basement.

Have you heard the old joke that programmers spend more time in meetings than they do working? It's true, it happens, and it made me want to die. None of the meetings even accomplished anything! Nearly all of them consisted of various teams congregating to "discuss" work items, which invariably reduced to the leads dictating exactly how everyone should think and the engineers either bobbing their heads obediently or putting up some token resistance to the stupid, overly complicated garbage before being yelled at, spouting some sycophantic phrase or another, and falling in line. The occasional exception were pointing meetings, where work items were allotted cost according to their expected effort, which were clusterfucks of politics and infighting, where managers demanded hilariously unrealistic goals, team leads concocted outright lies to inflate point costs, expectations were set to deliberately sabotage or glorify individual peoples/teams reputations, and the final result had absolutely nothing to do with what was actually possible to accomplish.

Stop being a stuck up arrogant bitchface. Their frustration is understandable because their shit works and your fancy ass new standards and functions might as well crash and burn their shit.

How would you like it if someone came into your house and started telling you what do? I seriously doubt your sorry ass would listen to them.

So grow the fuck up, kid. It's simple, if your shit works, then don't fucking touch it.

DELETE THIS
Don't need bay area-like competition here

>being this much of a faggot

I bet you suck your boss' dick on the weekends too

Stop projecting, faggot. It's not about 'sucking up' to anyone, you retarded cocksucking faggot shitbag, it's about not fucking with the existing product, you dumb piece of shit.

Sauce

>It's simple, if your shit works, then don't fucking touch it, just superglue it to something else.
ftfy

The tech world in a nutshell.

Wow, that seems to have struck a chord. A little close to home? Nah, you probably spread your asscheeks for bossman too. Idiotic faggots like yourself are the main reason companies hire COBOL programmers in 2016

>COBAL programmers
If they disappeared we would have more Java shits running around.

> Never use online shopping! Paper catalogs work and those fancy ass new marketplaces might as well crash and burn our shit!
> Never use cell phones! Landlines work and those fancy ass new wirelesses might as well crash and burn our shit!
> Never use texting or instant messaging of any kind! Email works and those fancy ass new text clients might as well crash and burn our shit!
> For that matter, never use email! Memos work, and those fancy ass new cyber punks might as well crash and burn our shit!
> Never drive cars! Horses work, and those fancy ass new engines might as well crash and burn our shit!
> Never hunt with spears! Rocks work, and those fancy ass new sticks might as well crash and burn our shit!

If you're building products for the modern world using technology from 1998 when modern standards exist, kill you're self. If -std=c++11 crashes and burns your shit, then you're an incompetent fuck who had no idea what he was doing back then and has no idea what he's doing today.

silicon beach is where it's at

I have little to no experience working in a professional setting and just about the same amount of credentials as well, and I'm thinking about getting a job as junior java dev but I'm not sure what to put on my resume and what I should know for the job. Any advice ?

>junior java dev
You kinda sorta need to be a pajeet in order to get these jobs.

I just want to get a job programming

you could probably get one

just apply.

make an android app or something. put that on your resume. put all your small projects on your resume.

>junior java dev
What country are you in? Unless it's somewhere in southeast asia, that isn't really a thing.

The only software jobs left in North America are ones that directly face the client (web dev, consulting, etc) since no client wants to interact with Pajeet all day, jobs that work in protected fields like aerospace, medicine, and other fields where they'd be arrested if they let Pajeet get ahold of national secrets, and difficult research positions which Pajeet isn't smart enough to do.

Alright, I'll give it a shot

>If you're building products for the modern world using technology from 1998 when modern standards exist, kill you're self
Did you even read the fucking post? Who said anything about 'building'? We're talking about already existing architecture spanning thousands of modules and lines of code and your faggot ass introducing some new hip framework or standard can potentially fuck up the software and cause the company thousands of dollars in lost revenue. Of course if you're building your shit from scratch you're much better off using newer technology, but tacking on 2016 tech to 1998 tech is retarded.

NEETs who want to talk about video games and phones make up a minority here

> weeaboo avatar fag calling someone else retarded

Not sure if cities outside of the US are relevant, but Copenhagen has a programmer drought. Only a minority of Danes are interested in STEM fields, so everyone is hiring whatever they can get.

Denmark are anti-immigrant including white ones.

In general, yes, but if your job title is on the "Positive list", then it's rather easy to get a work permit. It's basically a list of professions which are in shortage.

nyidanmark.dk/en-us/coming_to_dk/work/positivelist/positive_list_overview.htm

>IT Engineering
Do they mean software? If so, I might apply. The USA already had horrible working conditions and things are imploding from there.

I'll need to look into this. Don't even need any visas since I'm from the EU. Copenhagen is a nice city.

San Diego is decent. Especially in biotech/medtech.

There are a lot of jobs but the city is not a great place to live. There's literally nothing in the area to really do. Good if you're settling down with a family though.

Fuck off if you have no actual argument, kid.

Anywhere that isn't a liberal shithole.

>My vote is the Research Triangle Park.
One of the world's first large-scale LANs was at IBM's RTP facility. We wondered what Local Area Network meant until we realised that we'd been running the same thing on our IBM 8100 and 3600 industry systems for years.
Naturally, the PC guys at Raleigh new nothing about anything non-PC.

Agreed

If you can't get a large enough gain in efficiency to recreate everything from scratch on your own, then build tools that make it easier for you to work with what's already proven.