Is gentoo really a meme? I installed it in a VM and while some things are cool (like eselect news...

Is gentoo really a meme? I installed it in a VM and while some things are cool (like eselect news, the stable branch of Gentoo, etc) the compile time is taking forever when I run emerge @world.

Does anyone here actually run Gentoo as their main OS on a laptop?

Other urls found in this thread:

devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/slotting/
gentoo.org/support/news-items/2015-03-28-true-multilib.html
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GCC_optimization
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Safe_CFLAGS
openbenchmarking.org/result/1605083-HA-GCCOPTIMI43
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Setup a tmpfs for Portage to speed things up

Even the creator of Gentoo doesn't use Gentoo as his main OS. Gentoo is for
1. Casual Linux users (VM/Dualboot)
2. NEETs

> on a laptop?
i'm running gentoo on a pentium dual core. compilation is accelerated by an i7 over network

tested it, doesn't do shit.
>what is cache

I run it. It's amazing. I can have multiple conflicting versions of packages, or 64 and 32 bit libraries at once. And it's all fine because the programs that depend on specific architectures or specific versions of programs are compiled from source, so portage just links them with the version it knows it depends on.

See devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/slotting/ and gentoo.org/support/news-items/2015-03-28-true-multilib.html

If you've ever had to deal with dependency issues with packages you'll know why this is awesome.

Also being able to manually include (or exclude) certain features from any package or your kernel is extremely useful. For example, I was able to simply remove the SSL heartbeat extension and recompile my packages when the heartbleed vuln came out.

Did I even mention Portage?
>Portage works without any external repo.
>Portage supports using llvm icc etc to build with.
>Portage supports distcc.
>Portage supports slotting of dependencies.(multiple versions of python ruby gtk etc)
>Portage supports multiple kernels BSD Fedora debian etc.
>Portage can thread package installs and downloads

Meanwhile, with Arch
>overzealous autistic fan boys
>"you'll learn how Linux REALLY works!" When it's literally just configuring a package manager and letting scripts do the rest
>offers nothing that minimal net installs already offered for other distros don't
>muh bleeding edge packages!! when you can just install directly from the upstream source in any distro
>only reason to use it is the aur, which is full of broken and unmaintained packages and isn't monitored at all, most "packages" are just a bash script to download the package and it's install script from GitHub
>aur is far worse than Open Build Service, which actually lets you package binaries and programs for multiple distros
It's not the worst distro, but there's nothing it offers that makes it worth using over any other distros and it has the worst fucking user base.

>741mb of RAM

Lol, can you even compile anything?

Well I guess it is running on a VM anyway. That's the recommended amount for the OS by default.

Gentoo is a fucking waste of time.
Why would you even compile shit from source?

for muh 4% performance boost!

I compile gaymen emulators and mpv every single day. Muh daily scripts.

>multiple versions of conflicting packages.
Sounds like clutter and bloat to me.

If you know what you're doing, want a fine tuned system and don't mind compiling source packages from repo, no
But mostly yes

>Why would you even compile shit from source?
Cause you can.

It's an option.

>went to a small security cybercamp 2 days ago
>one of the lecturers was an active contributer to OpenWRT and other stuff like that
>important enough to own ntp crypto keys

>she
>used gentoo/i3 on her newer x series thinkpad

Gentoo isn't a meme. Recommending it to inexperienced users is.

You can eat shit too, but you don't do it.

>not eating shit

Self compiled are smaller and perform better.

I like how Gentoo NEETs post this piece of shit bait pasta when they feel cornered

>says the guy posting his stale pasta meme

There are benefits to running gentoo. It isn't for everyone, or for every task obviously. I'm just trying to point out what those benefits are because it gets asked so often.

>Why would you even compile shit from source?

See

Finally a use for this screenshot

>vtec sticker on a computer

VTEC like Fucking Honda's variable valve timing system?

no. its the best server distro

I'm not an expert on servers, but why would you want a rolling release distro on a server?

try sabayon for a balance between pragmatism and extendability
also do remember that sabayon uses testing repos

this ^ mount it without no exec, if you need to compile larger packages use your own home partition
also optimise your compilation here
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GCC_optimization
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Safe_CFLAGS

I use exherbo on a laptop, it's a better Gentoo, fuck multilib, multiarch is the shit.

See:

>Anything advanced or with specific computing needs

>e.g.
>Cluster computing
>Audio processing
>Just enough operating system
>White box testing
>...
>etc.

>i.e. anyone trully needing a DIY framework
arguably this can be said from Arch, but it doesn't really have the same level of granularity, control and freedom
gentoo is for someone

This, so much.

You don't need to use unstable packages.

There are also security benefits as mentioned here

Portage is objectively better than any other package manager, hands down.

Compiling from source isn't only about performance.

Gentoo is freedom
Gentoo is enlightenment

nice meme

>installing on ssd.

>what are USE flags
>what is architecture optimization

Those only benefit you if you actually compile it with those optimizations. And it won't be any more improvement then you can get by downloading a pre-compiled binary optimized for your architecture.

Gentoo basically allows the user to configure everything about almost every package almost as if manually, but without it becoming too user unfriendly.

>compile out features and dependencies with USE flags
>use user patches
>multislotted packages to preserve backwards compatibility
>elegant and simple multilib
>not repository, kernel, init, or even package manager locked
>configure optimizations for performance, size, or debugging purposes
Portage is a really elegant solution, OpenRC is an incredibly power init system that is extensible with runit and other supervision utilities, and baselayout is very organized.

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

%0.01

>what is -march=native
There are instruction set extensions to every different processor you nitwit.
openbenchmarking.org/result/1605083-HA-GCCOPTIMI43
distcc can be used for cross compiling if that's what you mean

Anything that's not available as -bin shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to build (there are always exceptions though). You should also enable threaded make and fetch.

I do, on my laptop (don't even have Windows on it anymore), and it's installed as a secondary on my desktop alongside WIndows 7(cuz vidya gaymez).

It's quite nice when you encounter some bug in a program that makes it unusable, or you want to enable some obscure feature, or just dick around with the source code very easily, just use the ebuild command to unpack and configure, make your changes, then continue to compile and install as usual.

It's also good for keeping old hardware fast enough to be usuable. People say the optimizations are a fraction of a percent, but when absolutely everything has it and you've stripped out all the bloat you don't need, you end up with 8 year old hardware that boots in about 10 seconds and can be browsing the internet in about 5 more.

For the most part, compile times aren't a big problem unless you have particularly shit hardware, with the exception of a few particularly big ones. OpenOffice and chromium are like ~2 hours, firefox about 45 minutes, or if you're rebuild everything all at once, etc. It's been perfectly tolerable for me for years, using a 7.5 year old mobile core2duo.

get some pussy OP

I run gentoo as my main os on my x220. I love it. It's not like you need to compile shit every day, just try to time your big compiles for overnight. Also I run distcc on other gentoo rigs on my network to distribute the compiling power across multiple machines.

ChromeOS is based on Gentoo.

You're a fucking retard. March=native just passes your native code to GCC. Setting your own CFLAGS is for specific optimization and march=native isn't even supported by certain architectures like ARM. Compiling from source is always going to have better performance and it's not even just about the performance. Jesus Christ.

That's just a shitty Gentoo fork. Vanilla Gentoo is the best.

Arch is Systemd, software anarchy. The only thing I liked about Arch was the ABS. I like the ABS more than the shitty AUR garbage.

Yes he does. Granted, he uses his own spin of it, but he said that he now uses it with GNOME on his desktop.

>genkernel

KILL YOURSELF

Bunsenlabs

>microshills still harping on systemd
Accept it, Wintrolls, systemd is killing your shitty little Winfuck OS because of how goddamn great it is. Pack up, end your pathetic company now, make out with your billions now before you spiral down into poverty like you're certainly going to do in a few years. No shame in going out on top. Instead, you actually WANT to shame yourselves by becoming a poor shell of yourselves that people laugh at.

why is their choice of wm important? i3 is becoming as annoying as arch in terms of its userbase broadcasting their decision at every available opportunity

This is b8, but true nevertheless.
I use Linux both personally and professionally for over 10 years now and Systemd has been a lifesaver from a bunch of loosely connected components that freetards say COULD work together, but noone actually did the necessary work.

Systemd just works. It may not be as customizable, but working is more important than customizable.

I think when people say "i3" they just mean "not a full DE"