"Pick your favorite ortholinear" edition

"Pick your favorite ortholinear" edition.

>Buyer's template for the unenlightened:
pastebin.com/33S1gVkG
>Where to Buy:
pastebin.com/8Yku80VL
>FAQs:
pastebin.com/M5w7QtKp
>You are new and want our advice? Use buyers template
pastebin.com/33S1gVkG

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

alzashop.com/fnatic-gear-rush-brown-us-d4059082.htm?layoutAutoChange=1#popis
modelfkeyboards.com/product/original-ibm-industrial-space-saving-keyboard-part-1395682/
ebay.com/itm/301976362830
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Anyone know where I can find a beam spring?

hello pals
thinking about getting my first, what do you think about this one
alzashop.com/fnatic-gear-rush-brown-us-d4059082.htm?layoutAutoChange=1#popis
It looks elegant and has a wrist rest!
also which switches for min-maxing gaming and programming, it's true that browns can click faster if you abuse the tactile feedback

B O T H
O
T
H

>Fnatic Gear
literally what the fuck dude

I meant faster than red, I'm not really considering the others
never heard about it before either but it's pretty cheap compared to others
what could go wrong?

But which one first, though?

Terminus looks comfier.

Where can I cop a kit for one?

Someone suggested a poker 3 in previous thread, which one would be better compared to pic related?

IBM faggot here from previous thread, get the Pok3r, I have one in my bottom drawer (MX Clears) Feels great.

Slap a numpad on that fucker and you've got yourself a winner.

Good job putting the subject in the name field OP

sorry, mate.

>Budget $120-150
>Location (continent at least) US
>Preferred switch type
Something like black or blue that is good for typing.
>Layout
ANSI
>Form factor
80% or 60%
>Backlight
Don't really care if it is backlit or not.
>Previous/current keyboards
SteelSeries 6GV2
I plan on using it for college for typing up papers, and occasionally game in my down time.

I'm new to mechanical keyboards.

What's the tenkeyless one? Is it actually vintage or a modern one? Looks really nice.

IBM Model M Industrial SSK 1992
It's definitely vintage

Pretty sure these guys have one more available
modelfkeyboards.com/product/original-ibm-industrial-space-saving-keyboard-part-1395682/

That's pretty sweet.

Maybe one day I'll be able to afford one.

just get a regular one off ebay, it's not worth paying 700 more for an ugly color change

ebay.com/itm/301976362830

ended auction, but you get the point

planck (or similar), dont need more than 48 1u keys

on a related note, someone on plebbit recently did a GB for essentially a split planck, $6 shipped PCBs so I nabbed a set. Can't get in anymore but at least we're getting more people making cases for such things, even if you want to handwire it.

dat animepad

The color is kinda why I like it so much. Visually what I really like about Model M is the concave design and larger bezel compared to modern keyboards, but I hate the color scheme - on this one though the colors are great.

perhaps you like this other one even more?

well you could always paint the case and buy custom colored caps from unicomp.

still would come out 550-600 less all-in

a n i m e b u t t s

Painting it is a bad idea, it'd probably peel in no time. Unicomp used to sell Industrial cases and black IBM badges so you used to be able to buy a standard SSK and swap the internals to a new case. Unfortunately they lost the molds for it.

Will buying more mechanical keyboards prevent me from becoming depressed again.

nah, only if you're a hack that throws a can of spray paint on.

plenty of guides on how to do real prep and quality work. you can have the badges custom made by outfits like oshpark. that way you'll have something completely unique.

how do you like the unicomp ultra classic? I was thinking of getting one

Yes!

>$100 dollars or less
>USA
>not sure
>ISO
>60%
>Yes
>cheap Dell keyboard

if you do it right it will last, however there's a better option than straight painting

use vinyl dye. You spray it on and it actually dyes the plastic and past the surface, so even if it gets a nick or scratch here or there the colour will still look fine.

Not too bad desu, it used to be an endurapro but the trackpoint got in the way when typing and really pissed me off so I pried it out. The ultra classics / endurapros are a bit more solid than the classics but still doesn't compare to an original IBM or Lexmark.

The feel of the switches is pretty much the same so if you want the nice case colours and similar feel to an original then go ahead and get one.

do you have to boil it for that? I'd be worried about the plastic warping

That might be worth trying but I'd personally rather just buy an original industrial as I'm shit when it comes to anything DIY.
Besides you have to worry about getting the right badges for it. Also you're going to have to remove the date sticker on the back to dye the plastic.

two ends of the autism spectrum

way to thread

no, that's polyester dye that you have to
vinyl dye is sprayed on like spray paint, you just let it sit after.

Pok3r is arriving in the mail today but I wont be home to pick it up. Got the ducky secret mouse with it. Quite excited.

>want to get into photography
>buy DSLR
>buy lenses
>use the camera only once every month
>realize that while it is enjoyable, I fell for /p/ memes, and I would probably be just as happy without the camera

>fall for /tpg/ memes
>buy four thinkpads over the course of several years
>end up only really using one of them at a time, because there's no need for more than one laptop
>wasn't too expensive, but again, I would probably be just as happy if I had only ever bought one memepad
>bought another one last month anyway

>buy desktop
>the shitty keyboard is not like the old IBM keyboard I had, but I struggle along with it because my work computer is where I do most my work, and laptops are where I do most my shitposting
>browse /mkg/
>realize I'm going to fall for memes once more
>no, fuck that, I can be happy without spending money on something I don't need

I ordered a shitty Magicforce and a POK3R yesterday. I have a HHKB in my cart. Fuck.

Dat consumerism.

memes are fun

Just get a ducky, they're cheap and not FNATIC GEAR

I've probably spent $3000 on stuff I didn't need over the last four years. Compared to most Americans, I'm probably doing fairly well. I still feel like an idiot.

you dont know enjoyment until you type with a hhkb
ps user u remind me of me
its about time you pick up golf and just never have any other hobbies

Reds are really light and imo not too great for typing, i make much more mistakes with my reds compared to blues. I've all but dropped reds completely.

I already posted all the pictures of my collection, so have this instead

Welcome to the land of memes

I don't really get the appeal of mechanical keyboards.

Just going by what I've felt from test models at electronics stores, sure they're definitely springier, but I don't think they would feel any "better" than my beloved dome board at home.

(i don't actually know how to touch-type though, would that affect my opinions? i do WASD-gaming like probably most of you, however.)

I hang out at /hoc/ a lot but I've literally never swung a golf club. I don't like being outside.

Triela a best.

Just close this thread and don't ever come back. Your life will be infinitely better for it.

I wholeheartedly agree. Henrietta and Riko can't even compete.

Do you find clicking a quality mouse to be a satisfying feeling? Are you a typing enthusiast?

If neither, a mechanical keyboard probably isn't for you.

They feel much better for touch typing, however the mechanical keyboard for gaming is just marketing nonsense and memes.

If you do a fair amount of typing though, spend a few hours learning to touch type and try a board with MX blues, it's glorious

Clean your desk you messy bug.

Oh don't worry, that's an old picture.

Here's one I took just now. I'll clean it once my finals are over in a few days.

>cherry mx brown

Tada68

Ducky
More like
Cucky

Get gaterons

What keycaps are those?

granite

>...g brother

Hmm what could that be

thanks

The problem is that I hate trying to type numbers with the keys above qwerty and I'm good enough with a 10key to not have one, plus games like DCSS uses the entire keyboard including the 10key for movemet

Although I don't browse Sup Forums much this general seems like it only really uses keyboards for typing, I can see why people here think a 10key is redundant, I just find more use out of it than most

Going to lasercut a plate for this out of ply in the next few days. I have exactly 40 gateron blues I want to put in a board, and this is the best I could come up with. photos to come

Well, if your task specifically requires some set of keys, I can't tell you anything to change your min.
But if you're just in the "tenkeys are comfy to type numbers with" camp, there might be a bright future for you.

You can get an external keypad, by the way. Just for the times when you actually *need* it.

That's probably the most cancerous keyboard I've ever seen and you should kill yourself for even considering bringing such a cancer into this world.

famalam, what the fuck is that layout?
You can't just half-ass it and stop somewhere between staggered and ortholiniar.

it's actually good, and allows me to use the oem profile keycaps I already have. Even if the profiles will be wrong for mods.

>it's actually good
it having a barely convincing reason to be that way does not mean it's good.

I call it the "perfect posting keyboard" (revision 2)

>keyboard layout makes alt+tab an impossible combination
Is this a joke?

tab is on the fn layer

so is alt btw. so you hold the function key (which is the right shift cap, repurposed) with your left thumb, then press comma and tab. Very ergonomic

compared to what, doin a handstand on your keyboard?

this small keyboard shit has gone full retard now

How about ctrl+alt+esc or shift+super+space? Furthermore how do you do anything that would require F1-F12, page up/down, etc.?
>inb4 every key gets mapped to something else when you press the function key breaking every macro ever

it's SIGNIFICANTLY better than the JD40, which doesn't keep tab, pipe, or implying sign

there's going to be a spdt switch on the side, that turns the upper row into f keys in one position, alphanumerics in center, and applies shift lock in the other

You can polish a poop all you want, but in the end all you'll have is a shiny turd.

>there's going to be a spdt switch on the side, that turns the upper row into f keys in one position, alphanumerics in center, and applies shift lock in the other
Is this actually serious or is this a different user adding to this ridiculous idea?

Workflow example: x hangs again, and you need to switch ttys. You flip the toggle on the right side of the keyboard and, holding the fn key with your thumb, depress the comma, control, and q keys. Then you flip the toggle back to center position, and enter your command, with another following conditionally (fn, shift, UU)

I got a Logitech G510 as a gift and I hate it. I don't need these stupid gamer keys or the shitty numpad or even the home/delete/whatever above the arrow keys. It all takes up so much space. I do 100% of my typing on 40% of the keyboard. It's so cramped, laptop keyboards are more comfortable. I'm not joking.

Not to mention, why the fuck would a keyboard need heaphones/microphone jacks? And the keys are made of such cheap plastic that they almost feel greasy. They are about as satisfying to push as your standard Walmart keyboard.

I want a keyboard with the width of a G510 but only 60-80% form factor. Maybe I need to fall for the two-piece ergo keyboard meme.

Split keyboards are super comfortable, you wont be disappointed.

I am ashamed to say that I agree about laptop keyboards. The old Thinkpad keyboards are second only to cherry blues when it comes to typing comfort for me. I've never tried buckling springs or topre though.

Do you have the backlit version of the magicforce?

>ashamed about your keyswitch preferences

I like the old thinkpad keyboards as well. My laptop is a Libre x200, and I use it for all of my portable computing. I like White Alps, Buckling Springs, and Space Invader switches too. I have a board with mx browns, but I like my other switches better, and I think I would prefer my x200's keyboard over browns.

Pok3r >all

Buying stuff won't fill the void. Trust me.

I have the ultimate minimalistic keyboard for you in mind: one key, and an 80 position dail on the side.

Not completely.
Don't be one of those "money can't buy happiness" people, because for a majority of global population it certainly can.

How do the minimum key users deal with out them arrows and function keys and stuff
Do you just use your mouse in place of the missing keys?

Every. Fucking. Thread.
Can you please lurk more?

your keyboard has way too many fucking keys m8

>not using one key with "i'm gay" macro

your keyboard has way too many fucking keys m8

>Budget
£150ish
>Location
UK
>Preferred switch type
Cherry MX Blue
>Layout
ANSI or ISO
>Form factor
60%
>Backlight
Preferably yes
>Previous/current keyboards
Corsair K70 w/ Cherry MX Reds

Any suggestions on what I should get?

Pok3r win everytim.

Wew

meh, they doesn't sell those here
besides fnatic, there's like corsair, cooler master, logitech, and that's basically it, aside from obsecure looking gaming keyboards
and none of the cheaper ones have a wrist rest and I'm used to having one
how much can I fuck up getting it really?
hmm, should I consider blues? I hear they are too stiff for gaming but I play guitar so I have strong fingers
I still want to be able to pull off bunny-hopping and mad combos in dota and star-craft

After two years, my Ducky Shine III is broken.

The bottom row doesn't work consistently. I'm guessing I may have either leaked liquod on it (can't remember when, because it just suddenly stopped working one day) or pressed the keys too hard, resulting in damaging the lines on the circuit board.

This was expensive, and was supposed to last me 10+ years.

Fuck.

Some people argue that blues make it much harder to quickly double tap a key compared to linear switches like reds and blacks because the activation point for blues is just under the sharp tactile bump.

I don't play games often so am nowhere near the skill level where that difference could possibly matter, so I can't personally say if it's more than conjecture.

Get out the multimetre and soldering iron.

Looks like I have to go shopping for a multimetre and soddering iron.

Also
>metre
Fellow British English master race detected.

What's a cheap keyboard that isn't mechanical but has the aesthetics of a compact one?