Would you guys gladly buy Apple if the devices were not marked up so high?

Would you guys gladly buy Apple if the devices were not marked up so high?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=t7XSckjRPo0
support.apple.com/en-us/HT204360
washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2016/06/22/n-y-kills-right-to-repair-bill-that-could-make-it-easier-to-fix-your-phone/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

No. They don't make tech they make jewelry. Ghetto bling at best.

For example they made a laptop with 1 fucking port. That is utterly pathetic. They do not care about function...they only care that it's slightly thinner (pointless bullshit).

Apple is style over substance hence why poor people treat it as a status symbol. Its ghetto.

I might get an Air, just as a sofa Sup Forums machine.

i have a macbook, its pretty nice imo. you pay for the build quality.

Nah. The design doesn't appeal to me. I like hardware that lets me get into its guts and fuck around.

I'd buy a MBP to funpost on Sup Forums.

I would buy an Air (though they all seem pretty slim now). My sister has one and it seems nice. More than anything, I'd want one for the sake of a *nix box that just werks.

I really only use my personal laptop for programming and browsing the web, though, so it would have to be pretty cheap (I've had a T530 since my first year of college (just graduated) and it's still not worth the money to me to buy anything new (mostly out of apathy though, because I guess I can afford a Mac pretty easily)).

But they're already affordable.
You do have a 6-figure job right?

They aren't appealing to me, so no. I wouldn't buy them if I had more money to waste either.

Hit me up with an X1 Carbon or X1 Yoga though.

Nope. i've already owned one, and the build quality was terrible.

Short answer No!

I thought I overpaid for a MBP '15 but I'm absolutely in love with it now.

>build quality
>high res
>excellent keyboard
>the best touchpad
>9hrs-ish battery life

Yes you can beat each of those attributes with a different laptop, but I just have more important shit to do than be a specfag.

>built to die after 3 years

I'll buy a new rMBP if they include a half decent GPU and the late 2013 build quality (ie: an actual trackpad and stuff) or better. I'd also like a standard m.2 drive so that it can easily be replaced/upgraded, and more screws instead of glue used to hold together the device. I understand that screw holes effect the integrity of the metal that they're drilled in, but they don't need to go overboard with glue...

I actually have a late 2013 15" rMBP that I got as a gift. I love it, but I wouldn't pay full price for it. I mean it was $2,500 minimum if you wanted a "good" GPU, the gt750m. A low end GPU on a $2,500 computer marketed towards content creators, how is that acceptable? My main problem is that they are not very user repairable. My trackpad broke, and if I didn't have Applecare, it would have cost $400 because they glued the battery to the case, so they had to replace the whole bottom case just to replace the trackpad. If they just used some other mechanism to secure the battery in place, it would have cost a lot less to replace or I could have bought a $20 part on ebay and fixed it myself.

Toss in inexpensive AppleCare and I might.
Otherwise, they're harder to fix and trouble shoot.

>an actual trackpad
maybe I'm alone but I found force touch to be a massive improvement. the full-pad button on the older models pissed me off so much that on those machines I'd always immediately turn on tap to click and never click again. with the force touch models I have no such impulse and have started to prefer clicking over tapping again.

Even Sup Forums's favorite youtuber approves of the 2013 rMBP (but only that one). youtube.com/watch?v=t7XSckjRPo0

To be fair that really only started happening when Tim Cuck became proana

If they were as cheap as any other laptop with the same specs, sure.

Literally using a PowerBook G4 right now, and have a 2009 MacBook Pro still kicking.

Let's be honest here this is completely right, but the price is way to high and i cannot afford something like this or justify it. So a chinkpad will be my meme.

This. The day Applel products become actual products and not status symbols and "computers for le rest of us x---DDDD" will be the day I actually think about investing in an Apple product. Not to mention their overall jewry when it comes to repairs and accessories is already another big factor to tack on after that thought.

Meanwhile I could buy a X1 Carbon/Yoga, a XPS 15, or even a used E7440 that will do everything and more and then some. Fuck I could buy a used X120e and achieve the same idea.

Well I'm glad that I have the approval of a college dropout.

>This. The day Applel products become actual products and not status symbols and "computers for le rest of us x---DDDD" will be the day I actually think about investing in an Apple product. Not to mention their overall jewry when it comes to repairs and accessories is already another big factor to tack on after that thought.

I think you don't realise mac target a very real demographic of people like me who buy macbook because they are the most portable and reliable laptop (with no meme battery) with sufficient power to carry any regular task.

To be honest the price isn't really a factor anyway because if you really need something to work you don't give a fuck about adding just a thousand buck for real reliability.

Im just really surprise no other brand care about making high quality laptop.

There are quite a few very high quality laptops. The issue is they run software which doesn't even attempt to be high quality.

I own a 13" rMBP 2015 and I love it. The only downside is that the cooling is atrocious.

The cooling it fine, really, the stock fan profile is stupid as hell, though. Prioritizing noise over cooling so it doesn't stay as cool as it could.

Is there a way to adjust this? I don't have any issues doing light stuff, but when CPU load gets intensive is when my temps shoot up to 100c.

smcfancontrol. It shouldn't ever hit 100c, though. Make sure that you aren't blocking the cooling intakes on the sides.

Mac OS is great if you can get it without the hardware. There's no legitimate reason to buy a real Mac unless you really don't want to reinstall the OS every year, or if the thought of occasionally reinstalling a kext is scary to you.

What types of things are you doing with it?

You'd be surprised how much cooler macs are if you use Safari with an engine-level content blocker like Wipr vs Chrome or Firefox using a "bolted on" blocker like uBlock or ABP. Chrome in particular is absolutely horrendous.

I typically run VMs and occasionally I'll fire up Elder Scrolls Online, but I only get around 15 minutes of gameplay in fear I'm going to stress it too much.

I'll try using Wipr on Safari and see where that leads me.

build quality on apple computers is no better than many other manufacturers. I would still avoid apple design because of the use of non standard ports. nobody wants to use an adapter to plug in a display, nobody wants an adapter to plug in standard usb peripherals, there is no excuse for the lightning adapter period. And the fact that apple has a tendency to update software to reject 3rd party hardware after the fact is downright annoying. never again

There is also no excuse for making batteries non-replaceable, or outlandish upcharging for reasonable data storage, where the base model that carries the advertised price hardly has enough storage to install the updates that apple will dish out during its lifespan

Does Wipr block YouTube preroll?

Macbooks (not Pros, those aren't the ones with 1 USB-C) are made for average people. What average person needs more than 1 port at a time?

>there is no excuse for the lightning adapter period.
Suck a dick, you don't know shit. Lightning is external PCI-E. MacBook Pros have USB ports.

Try fucking harder.

The macbook has usb-c only
ios devices use lightning only, must use an adapter to charge off a standard usb mobile charger
cheapest macbook with a universal usb port is $900

Lightning is about as handy as having a pci-e slot externally. people use it to charge and sync, why not use the standard usb cable everybody already uses for every other device that was already designed to perform those two tasks.

I'm just saying it sucks ass to have to use an adapter to charge, to plug in usb periphs, and to connect to displays. Even if the proprietary cable is a bit faster, its still non standard and expensive

TBh the auto-update on windows always end up fucking up with one of you drivers of software for which the dev stop the support because "lol buy a newer one".

hell you even need an adapter to charge your iphone on a macbook.

such a fucking lovely "ecosystem" they've made for themselves

No MacBook uses Lightning, you chucklefucks, it's Thunderbolt. USB Micro is fucking garbage, don't even suggest that the iPhone should have used it. Lightning is the perfect mobile connector.

Why are you complaining that the cheapest Apple laptop has USB ports? Thunderbolt 2 carries DP/PCI-E, so it's very useful in fact. You can also just use the fucking USB ports if you need USB. With TB3 you don't even need the USB ports since it will carry USB 3.1 and also HDMI 2.0.

>hell you even need an adapter to charge your iphone on a macbook.
Yes, it's called the Lightning to USB cable which you get with the phone.

>I would still avoid apple design because of the use of non standard ports
Macs haven't had nonstandard ports in decades.

>There is also no excuse for making batteries non-replaceable
It simplifies manufacturing considerably and opens up a significant chunk of space for more battery that would've been taken up by dead weight plastic instead. It means anywhere between 10 and 20% more battery for the space.

my iphone didn't come with a usb-c adapter

I use a rMBP, just like basically everyone else who makes money and has something to say in my department.

Should have gotten a MacBook Pro, then.

The ones that connect their phone to their laptop to charge both at the same time in an airport or cafe for example?

Yes.

I don't buy them because their marked up a good 300% to 600%

mouse
flash drive
>inb4 "NORMAL people don't use those moving goalpost"

You're a retard.

the macbook uses only usb-c. only one port, and its usb-c.
no thunderbolt, no thunderbolt 2, no usb 3.1 or hdmi 2.0.

Last time I was in an electronics section of a store I saw exactly zero peripherals that used the usb-c standard

support.apple.com/en-us/HT204360
have fun reading about all the adapters.

How about some perspective? Just because you want to use connect tons of shit to your laptop and don't care about the design and thinness, doesn't mean that it's not a huge benefit for others. The only things I've seen normal people sticking into their laptops are USB drives, and that's because they didn't adapt to more convenient ways yet.

This.

Besides, Apple stuff is priced competitively more often than not, some things are relatively affordable like iPhone SE. Obviously they are still ridiculously expensive but any premium brand is, at least you get more for same money with Applel.

I like it more but can't say it's a big improvement. I like the keyboard from the new Macbook more too though, now that's a controversial opinion!

I laugh at this as most of the nerds on this site wouldn't pony up the money to buy a Windows system with good build quality (HP/Dell/Lenovo Workstations) and complain that the $200 sale laptop they bought is shitty.

>trackpad impossible to click near upper edge
>extremely loose near bottom edge
>overall flimsy diving board piece of shit
>even applel themselves has admitted it's utter shit now and has trashed the design to go back to copying 90's era laptops with solid non-click touchpads
>still has no real buttons
>relies on pressure sensitive gimmick bullshit
>if you press too lightly or too hard it does something completely different than what you intended
>ultra shit tier zero travel chiclet keyboard
>OSX is a steaming pile of shit with horrendous battery management
>applel's solution is to cram in a massive heavy 95WHr battery to make up for it
>even XXXTREME GAMER cancer like razer blade with 4X the CPU/GPU power and 70WHr battery matches it in battery life in same tasks
>gets BTFO by 55WHr Yoga 2 in battery life in same tasks
>the battery takes up the space where a cooling system would've been in a laptop not designed by the world's thinnest and lightest gay hipsters
>overheats at the slightest task because abysmal crippled cooling system
>throttles to 800mhz because of chronic overheating problems
>retina meme supposedly for "pros" have have gloss mirror coating makes it impossible to use anywhere outside or with overhead lighting
>blurry as shit retina meme scaling
>shitbook air is even worse with glossy 1366x768 TN eye cancer

>macshit is good
Can we finally put an end to this meme?

Maybe the 2016 mb to shit post from

>bluetooth mouse

Why are you talking about the MacBook and ignoring literally every other computer they make?

The OP asks If I would buy Apple if the price was reasonable. I would not because they make so much hardware with non-standard ports. I wouldn't still buy apple because their most expensive computer still has the ports I would expect a computer to have

Also the OP pic is of the new Macbook

What happened to macbooks after the late 2013 model?

Everyone seems to talk shit about them

AVERAGE

>I would not because they make so much hardware with non-standard ports
USB-C is literally a standard port and that's ONLY on the MacBook 12". Not the MacBook Air, not the MacBook Pro, not the iMac, not the Mac Pro. Only the MacBook.

Literally nothing. rMBP remained the same with usual hardware updates.

anybody who needs to plug something (anything at all really) into their computer while also charging it

>Macbook
>lolONEPORT

I'd buy a Macbook Pro if it had a delete key. Price isn't an issue, I've been buying current gen Thinkpads for years, currently rocking a T460s

/thread

Toddler toys for brainless idiots.

>I'd buy a Macbook Pro if it had a delete key
In reality how often do you use the delete key?

ok dude its been said before. There are no usb-c peripherals for sale in stores, therefore I dont consider usb-c to be standard. It may follow the usb standard, but it is not a standard connection.

all apple mobile devices use a lightning connector, another non standard connection. its not compatible with any so-called universal mobile device peripherals on the market.

the lightning connector doesn't even interface with the usb-c without another non-standard adapter.

>USB-C is literally a standard port and that's ONLY on the MacBook 12"

this sentence sums it all up and you said it my friend

In reality, how often do you poo in loo?

>I'd buy a Macbook Pro if it had a delete key.
Wait what? They removed the delete key?

there is a delete key though

>what is fn+backspace

every single day, multiple times an hour

If the markup wasn't so high? Probably.
The biggest issue with Macs is really their lack of maintainability -- RAM goes bad, drive dies on you, battery loses its ability to hold a charge, and you have to buy a new machine instead of just going and spending $50 to replace the offending part.

If you mean forward-delete (the key that does a backspace is labeled delete)?
Really, really often.

>having to use function keys to delete
>mactoddlers will defend this

How often did you feel the need to do it? I liked to have the functionality but literally never used it, because fucking why?

If I am at an airport, I will just use my phone and can charge it alone, then watch a movie on the flight on the laptop, both will easy have enough battery to last all the way.

If it's at a cafe, you're hard pressed to run the battery of the phone down when working on your laptop.

No idea about stores but online there is tons of usb-c shit already. Not like peripherals makes any sense for most laptops.

>There are no usb-c peripherals for sale in stores
But that's bullshit. I was in best buy the other day and they had USB type C flash drives. Tons of PCs are starting to come with type C ports, my motherboard has one and my Android phone has a type C connector and came with a type C to type C cable. How is this not a standard? Just because it's in the early stages of adaption, doesn't make it non standard.

>Last time I was in an electronics section of a store I saw exactly zero peripherals that used the usb-c standard
Yeah, because the Macbook is one of the first adopters of USB-C. The handful of others include the Google Pixel (laptop), Google Pixel C (Android tablet), and a few other Android phones. Having only a USB-C port is an attempt to push the accessory market into moving away from the mess of mixed type A, mini-B, micro-B, and micro-B-3.0 to type C exclusively so eventually ever USB device will be able to plug into any device with a USB port.

Furthermore, USB-C doubles as Thunderbolt 3.0 which is basically PCIe-in-a-cable, can drive displays (replaces DisplayPort), and carries enough power that every laptop can be charged by standardized USB-C power bricks.

USB C only seems ridiculous now but pushing it makes way more sense than sending a message to peripheral makers that it's OK to keep supporting vastly inferior USB plug types for the next two decades.

>tfw

washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2016/06/22/n-y-kills-right-to-repair-bill-that-could-make-it-easier-to-fix-your-phone/

TLDR we're *this* close to fucking finally having one port+plug for everything. Don't be an asshat and ruin it

>USB-C doubles as Thunderbolt 3.0
Not really. USB 3.1 type C ports do not have to be Thunderbolt, but all Thunderbolt 3 ports are USB type C.

There's three Macbooks:

Plain: worse than celeron piece of shit with the worst keyboard in the history of computing

Air: same 1366x768 TN piece of shit you find on $200 craptops, and it's glossy on top of thjat

Pro: if you try to use the high end hardware they cram into it, it catches fire

They're all utter shit, and only a moron would buy any of them.

>ok dude its been said before. There are no usb-c peripherals for sale in stores, therefore I dont consider usb-c to be standard.
I'll notify the USB Implementers Forum that user on Sup Forums doesn't agree with their standards.
>all apple mobile devices use a lightning connector, another non standard connection
It is standard, but proprietary. I wish it wasn't, though, every mobile device should use it.
>this sentence sums it all up and you said it my friend
Rakesh I can tell that's you.

RAM doesn't go bad often, the drives are replaceable, and you can also replace the battery.

I think its safe to say that people are going to want to charge their computers when they run low, and that I dont need to explain other reasons somebody might want to charge their computer

Then you only need to think of reasons a person might want to plug in a peripheral. Maybe its a keyboard or mouse, or microphone, or an audio interface, maybe its a display or a point of sale terminal. maybe they need a barcode scanner or a usb flash drive. In the extremely likely event that somebody wants to use any one of these devices while the computer is charging. using a second device as an excuse for not having to charge your first device is frankly ridiculous and you should feel ashamed for even mentioning it.

True, but given that tbolt is baked into chipsets now and it can be rolled into USB ports, there's little reason for mobo and laptop manufacturers to not include it.

We need 1 connector, MagSafe. That should carry power and data as Thunderbolt 3. Problem fucking solved in the best way possible.

>OSX is a steaming pile of shit
It works better out of the box than almost every Linux distribution I can think of, so it's really not that shit.

>shitbook air is even worse with glossy 1366x768 TN eye cancer
>eye cancer
The resolution is bad for developers, not for your fucking eyes, you retard

>a mactoddler has defended glossy 1366x768 TN
>in 2016 the year of our lord

my biggest problem with os x so far is that it devours memory

I bought the 8gb. Don't do that. Get the 16gb.

It's more like he called you out for sying you'll get eye cancer or even harm your vision with 1366x768. Sorry that you are retarded.

no
their brand value is the only reason I buy them, why ruin it?

>don't just get ripped off, get even more ripped off for only $199.99 more!
good goyim

>I think its safe to say that people are going to want to charge their computers when they run low
Theoretically, yes. Practically, it's just not a very likely scenario.

>keyboard or mouse, or microphone
Pretty pointless on a laptop, especially one with a great trackpad. The one or two people who want to do that ... well, too bad for them.

>audio interface, maybe its a display or a point of sale terminal
If you're constantly want to use a laptop to connect with these, an (3-1) adapter would be the way, though it's not the most common scenario either.

>usb flash drive
Most likely scenario for normal people but with le cloud, the usage of flash drives is going down, so it's only a problem if people don't want to adapt to the future, in such scenario, maybe they shouldn've bought a laptop that basically screams "fuck old standards". Hardly an issue with the port.

this post is cancer

It doesn't devour memory at all. I have an 8GB model and I can open every piece of software on my laptop without using up all the RAM.

>buys macshit
Sorry you're retarded.

Possibly, if they didn't make it so damn hard to install 3rd party operating systems on them. Though I wish I had one available to me at work since I work help desk and a 3rd of the calls we get are students too stupid to use their fruit machine properly, that way I could at least make an attempt to see what they are seeing.

maybe it's too many safari tabs but either way it starts swapping when switching tabs

OS X memory consumption is pretty reasonable if you avoid chrome wrapper/electron apps. Go native wherever possible and your memory usage will be half as much or less, guaranteed.

my day today is why the answer is still no

>cleaning desktop for dust
>done disassemblying the entire thing
>getting late and lazy will finish tomorrow
>take out laptop
>plug in mouse
>corsair k70
>hdmi into monitor
>controller to emulate some snes games
>dac
>headset
>grab hdd from disassemblied pc and hook up to laptop