Show off your air fleet

Do any of you Sup Forumsuys build or buy and fly multirotors?

If you do show us your fleet and tell us what sort of flying you do, AP, FPV quad racing, freestyle acro or do you fly as part of your job doing inspections or something?

Personally, I brought one of these (bgobeyond.com/about/ of years ago and got interested enough to try building one myself.

So I built a naza quad with GPS in a hiro frame (gameofdrones.biz/shop/hiro-action-sports-airframe) I don't have any photos of thesc two because I'm not home right now.

Since then I've built a succession of smaller multirotors (pictured)for diffrent types of flying
From left to right they are for night flying, acro learing/crashing, a more portable acro/race spec quad and lastly a outdoor proximity flying/indoor quad.

p.s sorry if this is the wrong board but it seemed more appropriate than /out/ or /toy/

Other urls found in this thread:

chairpak.com
rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2613776
hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__39775__Multirotor_Carbon_Fiber_Propeller_12x4_5_Black_CW_CCW_2pcs_.html
amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00FWVCL7W/ref=mp_s_a_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1467015593&sr=8-11&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=micro drone)
fossilsstuff.com/Fossilsstuff/Gravity250.htm)
m.youtube.com/watch?v=xq0oCM37oZA
ebay.com/itm/THE-EYE-FQ777-954-Smallest-WiFi-Control-NANO-Drone-FPV-Camera-RTF-Quadcopter-/111785647660
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

never had a quadcopter and i wanted to try to build a mini.
Got any info on that black one ?

>Multirotors
>not drones

Thank. Why the fuck has the buzzword drones been so popular recently when remote controlled vehicles have been around for a decade+.

Its like fags who use the term emoji instead if emoticon.

Also, never had one. Wanted to get into it real bad about 6 years ago but didn't have the money. Haven't thought it since.

Lastly this is my chairpak I got recently, Ive managed to fit the 3 quads pictured in it, my transmitter, fpv googles, batteries, battery charger and laptop into it and as the name implies it folds out easily into a chair.

I really can't recommend it enough for this sort of thing, it's got plenty of space and pockets, the chair is solid and can be adjusted simply to recline backwards and folding it up and down takes seconds.

chairpak.com

Yea it's an owl and would be a great quad to learn to fly with in my opinion. I would say if you haven't done something similar to building multirotor before it might be a challenging first build but there is a build video and step by step guide to help or you could just buy one pre built.

You can find out more here rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2613776

Now might be the time their are definitely some good budget options for fpv googles/monitors and transmitters going around. I built the smallest two quads pictured for around $130-180 each

And I thought we couldn't be more autistic.

Toy is full threads about action figures I feel its more appropriate here, also most people will either be building their own quads from scratch or they will buy a aerial photography rig like a DJI phantom. Neither of these two types of people are likely to be in /toy/

???

build in progress
sub 250g

i agree, this actual technology thread has no place on Sup Forums and needs to be deleted to make way for more watch, desktop and r8 my build threads

I want to build a multirotor aircraft designed to lift a payload in to the air for long periods of time. I don't want to do tricks or anything like that. In fact I want it to keep the same ground position and be powered over wire.

How do you calculate the thrust of a motor and propeller combination? Are there any guides for optimizing lifting ability per cost? Would it be cheaper to lift 20 pounds with four relatively big motors or would 8 smaller motors be better? How about 16?

Also assume I'll be building the electronics myself so I won't suffering from any artificial markups for having to buy premade stuff with ability to control more motors.

tfw I want to diy one of these, and put small openwrt router on one, and do WPS attacks from houses far away, and pick it up later.

Sorry I meant *probably* drop off the router and pick it up later

ive got a couple. currently tearing down the 450 and the 250 to do some maintenance on both of them.

trying to figure out how to add fpv to my hubsan for cheap

You won't be building that stuff yourself, you will be buying it. 20 pounds expect to pay out the ass, and good luck powering by wire since you will need to deliver a metric shitton of amps

>You won't be building that stuff yourself
I don't think after 4 years of Electrical Engineering classes I'll have trouble interfacing a microcontroller to a pwm signal generator to a h-bridge.

>and good luck powering by wire since you will need to deliver a metric shitton of amps

Power=voltage*amps

I don't plan on delivering the power at battery voltages. Even the people who designed America's power grid aren't that stupid.

Don't try to act smart. You aren't going to be making your own motors and escs, you can rewind motors which is nothing special. But the FACT remains you will need very fuckhuge and very low KV motors matched with fuckhuge props, both of which are very expensive.

And yes you will be delivering power at battery voltage, most likely 6s, which in the end you are still delivering a fuckhuge number of amps and to travel any sort of distance is going to make remote power completely fucking useless.

Of course you can buy an arduino and do whatever, but everyone knows the better method is to spend $100 on an apm clone or even a pixhawk clone, and then use arudocopter.

>interfacing a microcontroller to a pwm signal generator to a h-bridge.
you clearly have no idea how to control a brushless motor

>You aren't going to be making your own motors and escs

No on the motors yes on the esc. There's no way I'll be able to come close in making a motor from scratch.
i'll be delivering at about 170V and stepping it down using a switching power regulator on board the drone. Weight of the wire

Anyway how about how about you answer the question. Can you stop "acting smart" for half a second and give me some info about optimizing lifting ability per price. Very expensive doesn't tell me much. A good starting point would be the tradeoffs in higher and lower number of motors.

>you clearly have no idea how to control a brushless motor

You're right. You see the thing about being educated in electrical engineering is you don't know everything but you have the analysis tools to figure it out.

However I didn't ask about the electrical engineering side. I asked about the aeronautical side. I don't have any idea where to start. The drone hobbyist sites that sell motors don't seem to have a clue and don't give good specifications for their motors or propellers. If the websites said how much thrust was generated at various rpms and how much torque was required to maintain that speed and the motors said how much torque they could generate at a given rpm I could work it out. However hobbyist sites seem to be catering to kiddies who just copy what some guy on the internet said.

On weight of the wires: some rough numbers I did a while ago came up with about 2-3 pounds of copper to get 1.5kW up 1000'.

>Trying to brag about being an EE
>Thinks about strapping a fucking transformer to the craft

Just stop, go back to your professor and say you have to rethink your project.

Sites like fucking hobbyking even give you that information, not to mention youtube and the manufacturers websites, you need to do some book learning on what kv is in regards to brushless motors.

Why would I use a transformer? Switching voltage regulators don't require transformers.

So do you have any answers to my questions or do you just plan on continuing to show how little you actually know about how technology and how much you know about buying legos and assembling them using instruction manuls?

>sites like fucking hobbyking
hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__39775__Multirotor_Carbon_Fiber_Propeller_12x4_5_Black_CW_CCW_2pcs_.html

I'm sorry I'm not seeing any rpm to thrust charts or graphs here. Can you help me out? A graph like that would be very helpful.

>book learning on what kv is in regards to brushless motors

got any suggestions?

>IM AN ELECTRICAL ENGINEER!

It's so cute. You have no idea how heavy anything is going to be, are going to 'make your own escs', the list goes on. You remind me of some guy in one of these threads like a year ago who said he was working on super secret drone startup and couldn't demonstrate any knowledge.

You are out of luck when you get no names, your best bet is to find a name brand one and look on rcg and youtube for thrust tests.

I will tell you right now that 12 is not even close to big enough for a '20lb payload'

>demonstrate any knowledge
I've learned so much from you. Your insights on the optimizing lifting capability vs price of a drone have been invaluable. Thanks for the help.

Yeah 20lb is probably way more than I'll need. Once i get a handle on how much a motor and prop setup for various weights is going to cost I'll be able to nail down how much I'll want to carry.

I'll look for those youtube thrust tests. searching for rcg on google isn't being helpful. Do you have a link? Youtube shows someone testing a gas plane.

Nice builds. Do you have any more photos of the one on the right? I'm also interested in the specs and what components you used

I hate that it became mainstream.

I WANT 2013-2014 BACK! I WANT RC MODELING TO BECOME MATURE AGAIN!

Enough e-peen competition.

OP, what are some starting guides for people who want to get into acro or racing? What are some starter options for dirt cheap DIY drone flying to get your feet wet? You should start a /drone/ general thread.

what kind of self-contained wifi router will you use? you'll need local storage and power that consumers routers just don't provide.

>tp link wr703n + small battery bank
The one on the far right is the one with battery bank, and I have usb flash drive to act as storage for it (8gb of storage)

>tp link mr3040 with built in battery

For heavy payloads and longer flight times you need larger propellers and slower motors. I've seen a few quads powered by a cable but not many, you'd have to do some research on that aspect

I can't wait for a drone with a 4g antenna and sim card for true long distance flying

Cool man, I think I brought that frame on the right or something very similar to it but never got round to getting any components for it.

The only thing I would be owrried about is the latency, but with it being 4G, latency shouldn't be too bad.

had no idea those even existed. the mr3040 and pb10400 are 17 ounces total. looks like 2000mah is 4-5 hours not counting usb writes so with 12400mah you'll probably get 12-18 hours total run time depending on activity. a cheap 16gb usb stick will bring the total price to ~$60 not counting drone. i like your ideas.

Yeah, I just need a way to drop it off and get it back, maybe putting it in a small case with a metal area, and copter has elctro magnet, and when on top of it, ti will turn on the magnet and pick it up? idk I have so much shit to buy

>rpi zero
>custom built AR15
>arduino shit
>camping gear
>maybe a new tablet
>Truck/suv to haul ATV

ehh I will get around to it. No to mention wishlist from /CSG/ (chink shit general)

>lockpick set
>clear lock with shims
>some knock off router that has usb and openwrt support with 64mb of ram (wireless tor proxy idea when out at open wifi locations)

idk some of this tuff may not happen.

OP here, im probably not the best person to ask, their would be plenty of threads on rc groups for beginner guides.

I would say buy a toy like this first (amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00FWVCL7W/ref=mp_s_a_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1467015593&sr=8-11&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=micro drone) this will let you get to grips with flying and let you gauge how much you enjoy it.

Besides reading lots of other noob guides on flying you should make sure you buy a really strong frame for learing to fly acro with, your going to crash a lot and the only thing you want to break on your quad are your props. Like I said my first quad was the hiro which is indestructible but a little bit big, my first micro quad was the gravity 250 (
fossilsstuff.com/Fossilsstuff/Gravity250.htm)
This is a really tight build so I wouldn't recommend it for beginner builders but again the frame is indestructible and even comes with a warranty that will replace the frame if you manage to break the frame in a crash.

I know but I wouldn't be doing any proximity stuff with it, still it will be great for exploring and generally floating around.

I've been building this mini folding tricopter for a while but haven't been able to set it up correctly, fucking servos

prioritize, user. finish the drone/wifi project for pentesting and make a thread about it.

what do you think you'd need to carry 175 grams? what about 500 grams? i heard the 450 series is needed for the latter.

I don't have any, but I'm dropping by to say this thread is cool as fuck and I'm interested.
Thinking of buying or building one in the eventual future.

I just have my two chink-copters.
Although I'm really happy with the big one, the Xinxun intruder UFO, except for battery Life this thing is awesome to fly. When it's windstill and you're on 30% it's almost like a flying a glider.

Wanted to step up by following a tutorial on an arduino-copter from a current special issue of Make once I'm through with Uni.

Also someone put an idea in my head mentioning quadcopters with petrol engines exist.

I bought an X5C-1, still waiting... Any gimbal I could strap to it to carry a 808? Custom multirotors are way out of my budget since they start at like 250$

CX-10 for $10 on Amazon and $2 for blade protector. I'm gonna impulse buy one and tape paper targets to it for airsoft practice.

>make a thread

Naa, if anything I would probably head over to /diy/ and post logs in their quadcopter/drone thread or in Sup Forums thread, but if none of are possible, I guess I will resort to making my own thread.

Are there any complete FPV kits available for absolute beginners that doesn't skin you for every penny?

If I ever see one of these pieces of shit flying over my property, I will shoot it down.

Not sure, the red and yellow drones in my photo could easily carry an extra couple of hundred grams but itbroadly depends on how long you want to carry the load and what you want to do with it.

There are sites that let you calculate flight time for a certain combination of motor, prop size and payload weight, you can probably find one in a beginners thread on rc groups.

If it's just a phantom you'd have no problem, if it's a racing quad however and it isn't flying just straight at you it would be a bit more of a challenge

m.youtube.com/watch?v=xq0oCM37oZA

Yeah, 50$ one from banggood - check it out

You should probably shoot yourself, you'd do everyone a lot more good that way

>tricopter
>not calling it tripler like in state of war

ebay.com/itm/THE-EYE-FQ777-954-Smallest-WiFi-Control-NANO-Drone-FPV-Camera-RTF-Quadcopter-/111785647660

FQ777-945 for $33 is crazy, but it looks like a CX-10WD.

CX-10WD is $40 from Banggood.

>wifi
No.
I was talking about the camera/antennae/screen combo for 50$ there, I was thinking of buying it for my X5C.

I fly the OSX of drones.

Are those fat-shark goggles worth the money?

>Why the fuck has the buzzword drones been so popular recently when remote controlled vehicles have been around for a decade+.

One syllable versus seven, perhaps?

Hello DJI devil, I've always wondered, how crash resistant are the phantoms, they look pretty fragile to me.

I have the fatshark hd v2s and I've tried my brothers $80 budget headset. The image quality was better on the fatsharks but it's not really worth it for that alone, the features are what make it worth it for me like head tracking, adjustable ipd so both eyes are comfortable, modular vrx and the ability to use two cameras with a stereo vtx for true 3D fpv.

What model? What for?

Wow I never thought about braiding the motor wires like that, keeps it super neat with no heatshrink I like it.

yeah ive got some. its a general zmr250 build. am definitely going to build another one, either another 250 or a 180 and build it for 4s instead of 3s.

dys-1806 2300kv
banggood zmr250
hobbyking blue 12a esc with blheli
naze32 acro

if i was going to build this one again I would get a dedicated pdb or a frame with one built in instead of connecting everything manually, because that was a real pain in the ass to solder towards the end when everything went together.

originally went with 5x4 props and it flew fine, definitely not very powerful but it could get around even with a gopro strapped to the top. i have now switched to dal 5x45 bullnose props and it handles itself much better. motors and battery and shit come down warm in comparison, but nothing that would indicate a problem.

currently have the frame ripped apart because the aluminum posts started walking lose at the bottom, also going to shorten some of the esc wires. also i added a static 5.8ghz mount because after a bunch of crashes connecting the antenna directly to the video tx ended up ripping the connector right off the board.

i had been flying my 450 for a little over a year and wanted to jump into the fpv bandwagon. picked up a quanum v2 and its been a lot of fun.

when it was all said and done it cost about $350 including shipping with batteries and fpv gear and shit. could have been cheaper, could have been more expensive but i am happy with it. i already had a charger and tx and stuff like that.

this is a picture during the initial build, it is now a lot more haggard and a lot dirtier after a shitload of crashes into dirt, grass, and once into mud