When someone says "linux", what distro immediately pops into your head...

When someone says "linux", what distro immediately pops into your head? Which one do you consider to be THE linux experience, that everyone you imagine someone to be using when they mention they use linux until you're told otherwise?

I assume they're using Ubuntu or Mint since most other people aren't embarrassed by their distribution and usually say
>I use Debian GNU/Linux
or
>I use Slackware

Ideally the most pure experience; the most "THE" Linux is Slackware.

Android

Great question and it's completely based on the appearance and tone of the conversation.

>business
redhat, debian, fedora, ubuntu

>home
ubuntu, mint

>college dropout, smelly turd that shouldn't exist, retarded hipster
arch, gentoo, slackware

Ubuntu/Linux

Debian.

I hate Ubuntu. I immediately lose respect for anyone who runs it, and especially those who advocate it. Here’s why:
Name 20 features, release-for-release or year-for-year that have not come from Redhat. Redhat basically runs the show when it comes to Linux. This includes things like NetworkManager, Gnome, Xorg, GCC, glibc, LVM, KVM, kernel, file systems et al. Redhat has developers making significant contributions to the entire FOSS software stack upstream.
Ubuntu on the other hand pulls most of the heavy weight packaging from Debian with each release. They then perform minor patching and testing. It generally lags behind Fedora by a release or two in parts of the software stack. I never see @ubuntu or @cannocial email addresses in upstream changelogs.
So tell me again, how exactly does Ubuntu innovate? They even struggle to release a new theme with each release, and artwork is about the only original thing in Ubuntu.
Yes, Ubuntu is stable because they are standing on the shoulders of giants. Most of the hard work is hashed out before they ever import software into their repositories. This is fine, and what FOSS is all about, but I prefer to be in with the leaders rather than the followers.
What really irks me and what has really brewed my hatred are Ubuntu users. They seem to think Ubuntu is responsible for all that is good in the FOSS world. I have just proven how false this is. In my experience, Ubuntu support mechanisms (IRC, mailing lists, forums) are much less helpful than the alternative.
If you want a nice desktop distro, run Fedora or OpenSUSE. If you like control, run Gentoo. If you need stability, run RHEL/CentOS or Debian. But please, don’t feed the idiot magnet that is Ubuntu!

>NetworkManager
linux-specific shit
> Gnome
shit
>xorg
shit
>gcc
outdated by clang
>glibc
read above
>kernel
linus wrote it

Did ubuntu kill your family?

It was Ubunteros that caused xorg developers to disable ctrl alt backspace by default

+1

Started in 1993 and stable in 1996. It's as old as the web and brings back those dial-up and original FPS feels. If you stick to "stable" then it's less convenient that you'd like but has a community feel and just werks. On a desktop I prefer Ubuntu for newer APT packages, PPA and the larger community to answer questions when I do dumb shit, but Linux wasn't always thus.

Debian, of course.

RHEL right after.

replying to pasta

>college dropout, smelly turd that shouldn't exist, retarded hipster
>arch, gentoo, slackware
>he couldn't even install arch

When I think about linux personally I think of of #!.

When I hear other people say they use linux I think of arch.

I am not a very good person.

>gentoo
While it's made fun of on Sup Forums for being cryptic, it's actually not a bad distribution. Granted I haven't used it for quite some years since I switched to Debian, but while I used it I did enjoy it. The init system was nice, portage worked well, and being able to choose what libraries to bring in or leave out with USE flags is something I still miss even with Debian.

On the other hand, by far the main reason I switched to Debian is because of Debian Stable. I do with Gentoo had something similar.

>linux

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX. Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

If someone says they're "using Linux", I'd assume they're using Ubuntu or some other babby's-first-distro and don't really know what they're talking about, as people who actually know the first thing don't usually say they're using "Linux" but rather state what distro they use.

When I think of "the Linux" myself, though, I think of Debian.

>et al
I don't think that word means what you think it means.

If there is any good thing Ubuntu has contributed, it would be that. I can't tell you how many times I've mistakenly pressed Ctrl-Alt-Backspace just to have my session killed, and on the other hand it's virtually never good for anything that you couldn't SSH in from another machine to do.

>I prefer Ubuntu for newer APT packages
Just use Unstable (or preferably, testing+unstable) instead; it's what Ubuntu does.

>I can't tell you how many times I've mistakenly pressed Ctrl-Alt-Backspace just to have my session killed
Literally the cancer that killed Linux is you

>iceweasel
>icedove
>libav
not even once.

seen this complete "shit like us" horseshit posted many times and I'm very glad I have never bothered, arch's destiny is to be jacking off in a hole in a street next to a business that's actually living the dream and making money with linux

>damage control
How can you be so retarded that you can't even install arch?

Iceweasel isn't even a thing anymore.

when someone says linux, linux pops into my head

>how can you be so retarded that you can't even smear yourself in shit
I didn't know Arch users were the new Apple fanboys.

>Name 20 features, release-for-release
Amazon Adware1.1
Amazon Adware1.2
Amazon Adware1.3
Amazon Adware1.4
Amazon Adware1.5
Amazon Adware1.6
Amazon Adware1.7
Amazon Adware1.8
Amazon Adware1.9
Amazon Adware2.0
Amazon Adware2.1
Amazon Adware2.2
Amazon Adware2.3
Amazon Adware2.4
Amazon Adware2.5
Amazon Adware2.6
Amazon Adware2.7
Amazon Adware2.8
Amazon Adware2.9
Amazon Adware3.0

Please don't ever group Arch with Gentoo and Slackware.