Is a career in IT and CS a meme? What area are you in and would your recomend?

Plus what's a good non-meme laptop for writing programs etc for uni? (uni being a meme not in question) I looked for myself, but shills and rumors of shills have me apprehensive. Not autisic enough to pretend that I know what I'm talking about before I go and learn about it.

chinkpads are memes, but good memes

so are IT and CS degrees, you're setting yourself up for an easy career

Non autist here. I have a BA in IS and work for fortune 100 as a systems engineer. I stay above the daily stresses of fires and uptime by being essentially a presales architect and consultant, but also get to see all the new stuff in my industry since I advise on it. Compensation is unfair given I started right out of university; if you have the personality for it would recommend .

>Is a career in IT and CS a meme?
Yes, very much so.
>What area are you in
Embedded applications development.
>would your recomend?
Not even slightly.

Oh sweet, I have heard they are alright.

So it is a meme but if cards played right, it can be a good choice

Oh wow that sounds awesome. The only real reasons why I am considering it is that I do like learning about tech and the things that make them tick. And all the people who have similar personalities to me recommend it. Any suggestions for areas to stay away from or specialize in? This is great info thanks.

Why does that job consist of for you that makes it so shit?

Suggest any better memes?

>Not OP

This. If you don't mind a hot laptop. The T410 with the i5-540m, intel Hd gpu, and 9cell battery is a good lappy. I get 5 hours while constantly meming

>Why does that job consist of for you that makes it so shit?
Projects never end; the code you're working with today is the same code you'll be working with in five years.

There is no creativity or problem solving. All design decisions are made by old fucks who are doing things exactly the same way they were doing them in 1999. The only time you'll ever get to actually think is when debugging.

Everyone is a complete egomaniac. Meetings are goddamned painful, and your success as an employee is defined as how much you kiss everyone's ass.

No matter where you go, your employer is always trying to replace you with Pajeet.

Sounds good. I hear good things of the z70, if properly done. The battery life for the 6cell battery version is like 6 hours if I remember right. I'm used to 15 to 30 minutes battery between wall sockets. So that would feel like I would never run out.

It's a meme for 99% of the people that think they want to get into it. To them they just see the money and the "lol i get to play with computers all day" and jump for it, and not only do they end up sucking at it, they hate it.

I wish all these fucking failures would quit and open up some jobs for people that actually love the fuck out of it and are obsessed with it and would gladly take half the pay you fucks are getting.

That sounds like absolute hell.

Then don't do it. Don't work in computers at all. Ever. Because that's the reality of it.

For those of us obsessed with technology, all of that doesn't matter. We still fucking love it. Please, pretenders, get the fuck out of technology so real technology experts can find a fucking job.

I see, sounds like the job market saturated where you are. I just don't want to get cucked into the meme but rather actually enjoy myself.

There are good software jobs, but they're all on the coasts, and they're usually short lived. Most startups fail, and those that don't usually develop the same institutionalized egomania the old companies have.

What we all want is a job where you can build interesting things using interesting tools in an interesting place with interesting people. Unfortunately, nearly all jobs are working on projects that have been going on for years, using C++ or Java, in an office, with a bunch of bitter fucks and pooinloos.

Contrasting my line of work () with the other guy, I'm essentially guaranteed to thankfully not be replaced by a 'Pajeet,' What I do is anchored in lots of interaction with the exact old people that the other guy is complaining about. I understand the tech at a fairly deep level, then apply it in architectures and designs that fit my customer's environments. When I say customer I don't mean 'I'm 16 and I fixed the computer at my local dentist's office," I mean large multinationals.

Computer science is great to know - I personally wouldn't work in it because yes, it is highly competitive and unless you're at a select handful of companies the compensation isn't exactly otherworldly. Under 25, I'm fortunate enough to make more than a lot of the sysadmins or whatever at my customers who have been doing this for 7-15-20 years. I'm not a salesperson, but I do represent a vendor and our portfolio.

In terms of keeping the job fun, since its a vendor based role I get to request all sorts of weird stuff and mess with it as my own personal lab. Its not even something I have to hide; its encouraged because it lends me credibility when I talk to sysadmins and have deployed or messed with the technology I'm selling them (think million dollar data center line cards).

The role lends me the luxury of roughly 30-50% work from home/wherever, depending on the week. Sometimes I knock off early and go to the mall or grab lunch. If I needed to, I could likely work from my phone for a week and nobody would notice.

Not having to report to an office or punch a clock is pretty great, but not alluring for everyone. I'd tell you to zone in on what you're comfortable with and a good question to ask people is what part of their job they like the least. Even people with dream jobs will have a part that they're at a minimum 'meh' about.

>people that actually love the fuck out of it and are obsessed with it and
Nigger, that's all of us. Seriously, the dumbfucks and autists get filtered out by the job interviews, the people working today are all people who used to love it.

The industry beats that love out of you. The things you actually enjoy about programming; figuring out how to turn something abstract into something real, coming up with cool features, designing systems; none of that is part of your job.

Your job is to sit in meetings, be a good little sycophant, then open up features and implement what they told you to. You then upload that to a review, at which point they yell at you for exercising the slightest bit of creativity rather than copy/pasting code from elsewhere in the project. After continuing to be a good little sycophant and thanking them for it, you once again implement what they told you to and merge it into the master branch that has been going for 9 years. Repeat, nine hours a day, five days a week, forever.

Nice triple dubs. I see what you mean.

Oh I see, so what would your area be classed as? Sounds like a hybrid. Sounds awesome, but also sounds like an anomaly where you can really aim for it? It seems like if you are too far into programming, you end up being a code monkey, and if you go too far into comp sci, you are a lab lackey.

Can't really aim for it I mean

What sort of tech do you work with?

Are there large OSS projects you are invested in/your company makes use of?

Exactly what products do you sell? Can you be any more precise than how you've already described your products?

You mean you have a BS in information systems? How can i trust you when you don't know the difference between a BS and a BA

I'm a generalist but specifically work in networking. I consult into the server, security, network, and unified communications spaces at customers. That means data centers, firewalls, route/switch, and VOIP/video. Pick a vendor, they have use for what I do.

My company owns SNORT and a whole bunch of other OSS stuff, obviously there are 'premium' versions of these things we sell.

Nice try, smart guy. No, I got a BA. I graduated with 2100 other people, 3 of which had a BA. I never took any chem, bio, or anything past Calc 1. So yes, I have a Bachelor of Arts in Information Systems with a minor in Business.

Sorry missed the second part here. Its not exactly a secret, I work for Cisco. What do I sell? Everything Cisco sells. Not a joke.

Lets take a company I don't own the relationship for, Tiffany's. A high end retailer of jewelery has corporate offices, data centers, and stores. I would help architect and upgrade their DCs as projects came up, explain how we have tech to let them get more actionable data on the people in their stores (Hyperlocation is so hot right now), and sponsor/train their IT staff on our technologies. Maybe their call centers are getting old and they want a new call center system - we sell that. Maybe their corporate office internet head end WAN infrastructure is getting old, I'll redesign it. Maybe they're looking to slim the IT footprint in branches down - I can advise on that. Etc.

That's awesome, thanks for the insight. Do you think a minor in business is a helpful/wise move in getting and sustaining a job like yours?

The business minor just means I'm not a sperg and took a few classes that are essentially common sense - finance, marketing, ethics basically. Sounds cooler than it really is, but applies pretty broadly to life. I got very little out of IS, more useful was working full time as experience while in college than college itself

Oh right. Awesome, thankyou so mutch

anyone have any experience with IT in the military?

considering it...